Ninjutsu rank advancement

fatninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys, As you know , I been to about 3 or 4 classes already, I was wondering the ranking system went, I assume I am first level 9th KYU?, Now I am wondering what things I need to learn to progress to the next level, I didn't get a chance to ask my instructor yet. I am learning Sanshin no Kata, and Kaiten rolls, I am having trouble with the rolls as I don't have space to practice them, but I got ahold of Sanshin and Omote gyaku.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, As you know , I been to about 3 or 4 classes already, I was wondering the ranking system went, I assume I am first level 9th KYU?, Now I am wondering what things I need to learn to progress to the next level, I didn't get a chance to ask my instructor yet. I am learning Sanshin no Kata, and Kaiten rolls, I am having trouble with the rolls as I don't have space to practice them, but I got ahold of Sanshin and Omote gyaku.
At this point, I wouldn't worry a bit about what you need for the promotion. You'll have lots of new concepts and movements to work on, and just learning those things should be your focus.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Ask your instructor, different schools will do things differently.

OP
F

fatninja

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I am studying with a Bujinkan school, I was just curious, looking forward.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As Tony said, the requirements can (and do) vary hugely from Bujinkan school to Buijnkan school... each instructor, although working from essentially the same material, is basically free to create their own syllabus, grading requirements, class structure, and more... so the only people who could answer you are those in your dojo... preferably the instructor themselves. There is, realistically, only one formal test for rank in the Bujinkan, a basic intuition method against a sword attack from behind (sakkijutsu), which is used to test a student for Godan (5th Dan), and allowing them to be licenced as a Shidoshi (teacher).

Latest Discussions