Ninjutsu and Chinese Styles

Mega_Fist

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm often asked about the relationship between Ninjutsu and some Chinese styles - both make use of flow, both use of martial trickery, both make use of a wide array of weapons. Whenever I've fought Japanese martial artists, I've been struck by how Ninjutsu fighters move in a similar way to the Chinese martial arts guys.

What do you all think?

OP
M

Mega_Fist

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm referring to the styles that rely heavily on martial trickery - Shaolin Monkey for instance, Lau Gar, and my teacher's family style.

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
There was likely a fair amount of cross pollination of technique and ideas between Chinese martial artists and the families in Iga and Koga areas of japan

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm often asked about the relationship between Ninjutsu and some Chinese styles - both make use of flow, both use of martial trickery, both make use of a wide array of weapons. Whenever I've fought Japanese martial artists, I've been struck by how Ninjutsu fighters move in a similar way to the Chinese martial arts guys.

What do you all think?

What do you mean by ninjutsu fighters ?

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was likely a fair amount of cross pollination of technique and ideas between Chinese martial artists and the families in Iga and Koga areas of japan
could you elaborate on this?
are you saying that Japanese Koryu is a derivative of Chinese Martial arts, or Just the arts taught by Takamatsu and Hatsumi?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I'd like to see where that is recorded ...or is that your own supposition?

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

What do you all think?

Also I'd like to ask are these ninjutsu fighters claiming to be that and if they are from which school are they claiming their style?
Also if they using trickery then what does that mean firstly? and where have you fought them?

I'm just interested as well will await the answers first

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
At a general level I think that martial arts evolve over time and absorb techniques, ideas etc that they come across and are useful to their situation

So I don’t subscribe to the idea of a fixed line of development

There’s a fair bit of evidence that Chinese and Korean dissidents settled in relatively remote regions of Japan and this includes Iga and Koga

There are old densho from Gyokko Ryu and Koto Ryu listing Chinese names in their lineage and showing drawings of Chinese people doing techniques. It’s unclear to me when these were written and therefore when these influences occurred

The movements of these styles are a bit more “Chinese” than other more mainstream Japanese koryu

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The movements of these styles are a bit more “Chinese” than other more mainstream Japanese koryu

Speaking as a practitioner of Chinese martial arts, I am truly interested in what that actually means.
What does it mean to have moments that are more Chinese?

I am not arguing this, I too see differences in movement between styles and cultures, I am just curious as to what you are seeing and calling Chinese

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you mean by ninjutsu fighters ?
Ah it's these guys man. I'd say they're everywhere, but... they're so stealthy that... well you get the picture.
b291f56555a8e71ddcc0ff0e2729ff21.jpg

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah it's these guys man. I'd say they're everywhere, but... they're so stealthy that... well you get the picture.
I wish there was an “absurdly hilarious” button to use instead of just “funny.”

Two new things jumped out at me...

“10th degree Dragon Belt” Huh?
I guess Ninjas used Uzis. Who would’ve thunk it? Maybe that’s why they were so deadly back in the day.

This seems like something right up Isiah90’s (or whatever his number was) alley :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well he says he runs a lot. So if he has taught people to defectively run away and escap danger, perhaps he has something of value to offer.

And I’m trying to figure this out, is this poster for real, or is it a put-on?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well he says he runs a lot. So if he has taught people to defectively run away and escap danger, perhaps he has something of value to offer.

And I’m trying to figure this out, is this poster for real, or is it a put-on?
Yeah I have no idea, looks legit. As in, serious XD.

And don't forget breathe underwater!!!

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm interested in the bow staff.

Is that like a bo that fires arrows or something?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

What do you all think?
'ninjitsu' is a colloquial term for a wide variety of things. Ninjitsu isn't a fighting style.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm often asked about the relationship between Ninjutsu and some Chinese styles
since this thread has gone down a comical path, i got to ask....
your asked often? like how often, once a week, every other day? and by who? do you have random strangers stopping you at the market and asking you this? it would be understandable if you went out in public wearing a Chinese kung- fu outfit and a ninja mask carrying a hollywood ninja-to.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you went out in public wearing a Chinese kung- fu outfit and a ninja mask carrying a hollywood ninja-to

From what has been said in other threads, that's more likely to illicit a comment more like "oh, you do karate" ;)

Latest Discussions