Ninja-To

Shinkengata

Green Belt
Reaction score
For $1000 i'd want something that could stand up to an insane amount of abuse and cutting practice.

But then again, i don't think i'd pay $1000 for a sword anyway. $1000 buys you a brand new H&K USP Compact .45 with a few hundred to spare for a holster and Surefire weapon light.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
But then again, i don't think i'd pay $1000 for a sword anyway. $1000 buys you a brand new H&K USP Compact .45 with a few hundred to spare for a holster and Surefire weapon light.
Damn straight!
or you could buy roughly 83 MT support memberships. lol.

OP
M

mizu_teppo

Lol, the last few comments have been kind of funny. Shinken by japanese smiths are usually around $6000. Or if you go here, http://www.jidai.jp/Shinken.html , they're $11,000 USD. With most people though, the fascination of having a "sharp" blade is usually for all the wrong reasons. I often take a grain of salt when it comes to this subject.

I wouldn't mind paying $1000 for an iaito if I studied a sword only school though. But since budo taijutsu is obviously not a sword only school...

Tamayoke

White Belt
Reaction score
For some reason my original post didn't make it. The main point of that post was having a bohi can be advantageous in certain grappling situations.

Considering that an 'entry level' Japanese mogito goes for about 500usd, 1000usd for a specialized or good quality mogito is normal - and yes you can tell the difference between the 'cheap' and 'good' stuff.