Ninja-To

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
So the whole idea of a Bohi is still up in the air when viewed in that light. Oh, and I think the best translation of that would be 'fuller' and not 'blood groove.' Despite a lot of stories, it had nothing to do with letting blood flow and everything to do with lightening the weight. I wince when I hear the term 'blood grove' used in reference to a knife of sword.
Exactly...and I take it that with a shorter sword such as a shinobigatana you'd probably want it to be solid all the way down so as to being able to use it like a garden tool or a machete should the need arise. Funny though, I have a video in which Hatsumi sensei states that with something like a ninjato thrusts are usually more used than slashes, and if you are going to cut with a shinobigatana you tend to be more particular about your targets.

Tamayoke

White Belt
Reaction score
technopunk said:
Welcome to Martial Talk! It's a pleasure to have you here, I hope you share your knowlage and expertise with the board!

I'm sorry I missed your seminar here recently, my instructor was there, and said you were nothing short of Amazing!

So, again, welcome to MT, and happy posting!
Who was your instructor? Thanks for the kudos and the welcome.

Dale Seago said:
Some of our women here in SF still live in unrequited hope of discovering the "nothing short" part. . .
Really? Still? I didn't think I was still that fascinating to them. Speaking of women at your dojo, I heard it was your wife's birthday the other day. Please tell her happy birthday from me.

Don Roley said:
Yeah, like he has never heard that joke before.
:rolleyes:

I swear Kizaru, I get the feeling that someday you are going to be the death of me. :duel: Hope you have a good supply of French Vanilla coffee- 'cause I doubt Tamayoke will be bringing much back with him next time. :2xBird2:
I've never heard that before. . . . No more coffee for you Kizaru!

Don Roley said:
So the whole idea of a Bohi is still up in the air when viewed in that light. Oh, and I think the best translation of that would be 'fuller' and not 'blood groove.' Despite a lot of stories, it had nothing to do with letting blood flow and everything to do with lightening the weight. I wince when I hear the term 'blood grove' used in reference to a knife of sword.
I asked him why the bohi, and his response was that he wanted it made for a couple of reasons (which make sense tactically) - so it was a deliberate decision to have it made that way. There used to be one on the wall at hombu that he would break out and use, and once explained a tactical reason for the bohi on certain ninjato.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tamayoke said:
...There used to be one on the wall at hombu that he would break out and use, and once explained a tactical reason for the bohi on certain ninjato.

and that would be? Rain catching or???

-Daniel Weidman
Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tamayoke said:
Really? Still? I didn't think I was still that fascinating to them.

Well, you're personable and in good shape, and they seem to feel that a hard man is good to find. I've tried to explain to them that you're Not Just A Sword Guy, but to little effect. . .

Speaking of women at your dojo, I heard it was your wife's birthday the other day. Please tell her happy birthday from me.

Actually it's today -- I'll pass your greeting along.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tamayoke said:
Who was your instructor? Thanks for the kudos and the welcome.
Vic Siedleski, he came down to the seminar in St Louis you did recently.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I swear Kizaru, I get the feeling that someday you are going to be the death of me. :duel:

Hey, "Don Ken Obi", just stay the hell off the Death Star and everything should be fine!

Don Roley said:
Hope you have a good supply of French Vanilla coffee- 'cause I doubt Tamayoke will be bringing much back with him next time. :2xBird2:

Youch!!! Now you're hittn' KYUSHO!!!

Tamayoke said:
I've never heard that before. . . .
Hey Don Ken Obi --> :moon:

Tamayoke said:
No more coffee for you Kizaru!
Hmm....The Force is strong with this one....

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It struck me that there may not be that many shinobigatana made. I would be interested in seeing at what price that sword ends up being sold at. I sell rare books and such to friends at the price I buy them at as favors. I am wondering if I should buy a few swords from Hatsumi to put aside for friends in the future worthy of owning one. On one hand, it sounds strange to hoarde them. On the other, if he gets orders now he can make more. But in the future there might just not be any more.

OP
M

mizu_teppo

I heard that the man who made nihonto (shinden fudo, togakure, kukishinden) for Hatsumi sensei has passed away and these kinds of swords will not be made again. Of course, that doesn't mean Soke won't find another person to custom make these swords. But as of right now I assume they are fairly rare items.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm considering a bid.

Does anybody know offhand about how many were made and what they were selling for?

OP
M

mizu_teppo

The one that is up for bid right now I saw for $500 USD new, plus shipping. So the price on ebay at the moment is good.

OP
M

mizu_teppo

Heh, yeah, the bids gone way over the original price tag. People must be desperate I guess, because I wouldn't pay that much by a long shot.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mizu_teppo said:
Heh, yeah, the bids gone way over the original price tag. People must be desperate I guess, because I wouldn't pay that much by a long shot.
Especially for one that is not, and cannot be, sharpened...

OP
M

mizu_teppo

Well, I've seen many iaito that cost over one thousand dollars. And iaito certainly have more training uses. But I guess being able to chop people up is important to some of you...

Lol, I do agree though. I'd only pay a couple hundred for iaito, and then anything over the 500 mark would be shinken.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mizu_teppo said:
But I guess being able to chop people up is important to some of you...
Hey, If i wanted a sword that i COULDN'T chop someone up with, Id go to Bud K and spend 9.99.

:D

OP
M

MisterMike

Training swords are maybe worth a couple of Ben Franklins ($100 for you non-Americans).

Why would you train with something worth more than 3, 4 or 5 hundred dollars, just to have it hit the ground and chip, scratch, bend, etc.

For that price, it should be real. And if you are going to use it, you'd better know what your doing.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mizu_teppo said:
Well, I've seen many iaito that cost over one thousand dollars.
Yowza!

Lol, I do agree though. I'd only pay a couple hundred for iaito, and then anything over the 500 mark would be shinken.
I agree. That's a lot of money for a training tool. For $1000, I'd want something functional and collectable--meaning, sharp.

Latest Discussions