Niagara falls without water as seen in 1969

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You'll notice thought that they didn't try turning off the horseshoe falls on the Canadian side instead (much larger volumes of water).

Still pretty cool pictures!

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Holy crap that is scary! And awesome, but mostly scary to me.

Yes, I have always had a crazy fear of Niagara Falls. Every summer when I was a kid my parents would drag me on some vacation to visit family in Canada or upstate NY and somehow we would end up there (my dad loves the place). The height, the sheer force of all that water, it's impressive, but the place always scared the living crap out of me. But now without the water it's even worse!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw (and posted on my FB page) these photos earlier today and likewise thought the images to be fantastic. Looking at the huge pile of rocks along the bottom of the falls made me think about the reason why so many died trying to go over the falls in barrels and what not... bashed to death once they hit those hidden rocks under the falls.
Amazing is the word I can think of.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I kept hearing about the Cave of the Winds under the falls. Am sad to read it collapsed in the 50's. It sounded cool.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Way cool photo’s, thanks Bob.

You can still go under the Canadian falls though.

The parks on the Canadian side are amazing, such a beautiful place. The downtowns on both sides, for different reasons, still need work.

I’ve only been there 1000 times, but my favorite time of year to go is in the winter, the spray coats everything in ice, hence falling on your *** is an easy thing to do!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a New York'er I am sorry to say I take the falls for granted. When I do go it is like the first time every time. Very awesome.
icon7.gif

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy crap that is scary! And awesome, but mostly scary to me.

Yes, I have always had a crazy fear of Niagara Falls. Every summer when I was a kid my parents would drag me on some vacation to visit family in Canada or upstate NY and somehow we would end up there (my dad loves the place). The height, the sheer force of all that water, it's impressive, but the place always scared the living crap out of me. But now without the water it's even worse!

I can relate to that that crazy fear of Niagara Falls. I have a waterfall phobia to start with, and when I was 16 years old we went on a family trip to Niagara Falls, Canadian side. I remember the constant roar of the falls, it sounded like it was thundering the entire trip, and the constant mist. We were there in April and I remember chunks of ice seemingly the size of cars going over the falls.

Scared the crap out of me to be there watching the water go over the Horseshoe Falls, but I was fascinated nonetheless. And to this day it I consider that trip the best ever. The Falls are absolutely beautiful yet scary powerful. It's cool to see the dry falls pics. It would be even more fascinating to me to see the Horseshoe Falls for obvious reasons.

Latest Discussions