NHL is Back

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul B said:
Allright..I'll admit it,I have NHL Center Ice...so they aren't hard to find for me.:)

If I had the money, and the foresight that so few games would be on TV, I'd get Center Ice. I'd enjoy it. I wish I could afford me some season tickets! after graduation I hope!

:apv: <--- Zamboni heheh

MrH

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well I'm just wondering if it's as big a deal for the rest of the world as it is here.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
well I'm just wondering if it's as big a deal for the rest of the world as it is here.

Depends on what you mean... in parts of the US, they are quite rabid about their NHL. You start moving south and it starts getting a bit less popular. Teams are moving south, but it takes time for it to catch on. Alot of the fans in the south are just relocated Yankees. You get up into old established US markets (detroit, pittsburgh, ect) and they most likely follow things quite closely. Newer markets (carolina, florida, atlanta), less so. If you are talking about Europe or other markets, I have no idea. In parts of europe, the game is quite popular, but not sure how closely they follow the NHL.

MrH

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
....I wish I could afford me some season tickets! after graduation I hope!

That makes two of us..but I don't think I'll be dropping $8K for tickets to go see the BHawks lose all year. Televise home games and I'll think about it...

The Bertuzzi incident received a ton of media. The problem is in the majority of the U.S.,people's eyes glaze over when they hear the word "hockey".

As for putting the games on OLN..Come on,seriously. I went through the DTV guide to find out when the next game was on and buttoned through 12 hours of Rodeo!!! Who watches 12 hrs of rodeo? They've gotta do better than that. That doesn't exactly send the message that they're overly confident in their "new" product.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Paul B said:
As for putting the games on OLN..Come on,seriously. I went through the DTV guide to find out when the next game was on and buttoned through 12 hours of Rodeo!!! Who watches 12 hrs of rodeo? They've gotta do better than that. That doesn't exactly send the message that they're overly confident in their "new" product.

There was some difficulty with OLN and the cable/satellite distributors. They refused to air the first game, and I'm not sure if the situation has been resolved yet. I heard that OLN demanded to be on a certain percentage of cable/satellite stations and that request was not met, so they did not show! (don't have a link, heard it on a local sports radio station)

The only games I've been able to see have been local games on Fox Sports Net, and most games have not been broadcast! so far I've only got to see one on TV :(

MrH

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was perusing a recent game recap, and noticed something I did not see in the game... you don't see this often :)

Played was stopped in the second period when the puck got lost in the shorts of New York left wing Ville Nieminen. After a delay of about 10 seconds, he sheepishly handed the puck to the referees.

LOL only in hockey...

on another note, I'm enjoying the higher scoring this year.. its been outstanding so far... go 'canes!

MrH

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The olympic break is coming up soon... hockey is an interesting sport, in that its mostly international. Alot of your local stars are going back to their respective countries to compete. I don't have a problem with this, but it does bring about a delimna.

Do you find yourself rooting for your country, or do you graviate towards your favorite stars? I tend to root for the country, but I'd not mind seeing one of my team members come back with gold :)

Go 'Canes!

Latest Discussions