NHL is Back

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering What everyone thought about the rule changes and about the
Salary cap.
And Who do you think will Win the Cup this year..

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hard to tell who will win the cup so many players are now across that big pond playing in other areas.

Salary cap was long over due.

I'd like to see the goalies fair game if they come way out of the crease.
I think the game will be faster but less fun to watch (I like hard checking)

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
ditto tshadow, too early to tell cup. Still many players being traded. Once rosters get firmed up, we will get a better idea. Its going to be interesting to see what perenial power houses like the Red Wings and Avalanche will do w/ the cap, and if they will retain power. Its been shown that money does not necessarily get you the cup, but it sure helps :)

Personally, I think the players got the raw end of the deal. As far as rule changes, I'd enjoy seeing smaller pads on the goalies. Having a shoot off like in the minors would be awesome to see. Seems like sometimes teams were simply playing for the draw, and not being aggressive just to get that one point.

Personally, I'll be rooting for the Carolina Hurricanes :)

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm still on the fence about the NHL....I'm a died-in-the-wool Blackhawks fan..but I am still kinda leary about attending home games.

Unless some major concessions (and how about an apology for starters,Wirtzy?)are made,you won't be seeing me at the UC,although,I have to admit I'm geeked about Nikki P. and Aucoin..now how about some forwards who can stay healthy?...whoa...<rant over>

That being said,with the cap and the talent being as spread around as it is,it's really anyone's guess. Can you say offer sheets?

I do think we're all going to be surprised by the turn-around in Pittsburgh. They are just stacked! I'm not saying they'll win the cup,but last place? Uh-uh.

If I had to choose conference champs,for the east I'd say Flyers..they just have too much firepower.

The west is just an all out gamble,but all in all I'd say..uhhm..yeah..I just don't know. I do think it'll be a small-market team,though.

As far as shoot-offs go..it's about time! I hated tie games,it was just so...unfinished.

Smaller pads? Goalies whine,and they probably would whine about bigger pads,too. "Oh..but I can't move as quick..they're impeding my butterfly..wah"..I think they'll be fine. Look for some good acting early in the season,though.

I do like the center-line being eliminated..look for people like Pavel Bure to have record years.

We'll have to keep this thread open..it's hard to find other hockey fans who can actually type..lol.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Salary cap was overdue. I like removing the red line. As a goalie myself, I don't think the new equipment and puck handling rules will make a whole lot of difference. The pads are reduced by 1". Take a ruler, look how small that is. The net is 72" wide. The goalies now cover 22" instead of 24. The goos ones will adapt. As for the restriction on puck handling, there are less than 5 goalies in the NHL today who can actually go into the corner and handle the puck. Won't make a difference. As for making the goalies fair game out of the crease, that's just stupid. By virtue of the equipment, goalies lack the balance and peripheral vision. It would lead to too many injuries.

Go Habs.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
CanuckMA said:
:lol2:

Seriously, I'll be watching Calgary go for the cup this year. Also, I'll be following Phoenix, just to see how Wayne does as a coach.

The removal of the red line was a good idea. And, yeah, let the goalies be fair game outside the crease - why not? Don't want the risk - stay inside the crease. Let the D work the corners. The salary cap was necessary, and will help spread the talent. Detroit was irritating me.

However, more important than who will win the cup this year is who will lose to Canada on February 26 2006. :partyon:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, the red line was pretty annoying.

We have minor league hockey in town, apparaently, and my son and I hope to go see some of that. When we lived in San Jose we used to go see the Sharks once a month.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife just won free tickets to the Hurricanes season opener! Yay! There is a decent chance we might get to ride on the Zamboni or visit the press box! yay! The game was sold out too, so I'm excited! It will be against he Penguins, so I'll get a chance to see Crosby in action in his first game. Lemeiux too :) yay!

MrH

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is awesome luck!

Sid "The Kid" has just a tad of pressure,no? Jeez..playing with SM..what a break!

I'm thinking he's either going to burn out gloriously or just take over like Nash in Colombus. Either way..it'll be fun.

Oh yeah..I hate Detriot.:2xBird2: Go Hawks! *like you didn't see THAT coming*:boing1:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yay! Its finally back! so glad... it stinks that shows are on OLN though. I'll miss them on the major networks. Still, I hope I get to see enough local games at least...

anyone get to go to opening night? I heard that attendance was up.

MrH

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
well, its been a few weeks now. I think the games have been exciting! I've been to a few, and tried to watch a bit on TV. It stinks that the games are so hard to find on TV. Think they will ever regain major station support? (ESPN, ABC, ect) I've enjoyed seeing the shoot off at the end of ties. thats been pretty exciting!

On a side note, Go 'Canes!

MrH

OP
kenpo0324

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When its all said and done, Detroit Red Wings will be standing tall with the
Stanely Cup again...Where it belongs.

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
CanuckMA said:
Salary cap was overdue. I like removing the red line. As a goalie myself, I don't think the new equipment and puck handling rules will make a whole lot of difference. The pads are reduced by 1". Take a ruler, look how small that is. The net is 72" wide. The goalies now cover 22" instead of 24. The goos ones will adapt. As for the restriction on puck handling, there are less than 5 goalies in the NHL today who can actually go into the corner and handle the puck. Won't make a difference. As for making the goalies fair game out of the crease, that's just stupid. By virtue of the equipment, goalies lack the balance and peripheral vision. It would lead to too many injuries.

Go Habs.

I agree with everything that CanuckMa had to say I would add though that I dont like all the interferance calls. It takes something away from the game.

I also agree with not making the goalies fair game I used to play defense and I would take it personally if anyone went near my goalie. Goalies really dont have the balance or vision. They are also usually a stationary target and would get pummled by a fast moving forward.

I dont know who will win the Stanley Cup but as a Bruin ticket holder I will route for them to go but I really dont think that they will make it. At least untill their owners and general managers wake up and get their head out of their.........................

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Allright..I'll admit it,I have NHL Center Ice...so they aren't hard to find for me.:)

That being said..these new obstruction rules are killing me,or more specifically the Hawks.

I don't think I've ever seen so many frickin penelties!

The goalies seem to be having a little trouble getting adjusted to the new gear,but I think they're having more trouble with noone being able to clear the crease. I think that little tid-bit needs some type of leniency from the NHL. Otherwise my gripes are few..other than the Hawks are sucking it up. Not a word from you Detroit boy!!!%-}

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I live in BC and as such I do not get coverage from outside of BC. I was wondering if anyone in the U.S. or in other provinces got as much coverage on the Bertuzzi incident as BC did. Just curious really.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
I live in BC and as such I do not get coverage from outside of BC. I was wondering if anyone in the U.S. or in other provinces got as much coverage on the Bertuzzi incident as BC did. Just curious really.

we got alot of it here in North Carolina. Incidents like that go beyond local coverage.

MrH

Latest Discussions