New WTF sparring gear

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
This gear is still in the developmental stage, as are the Rules. There was a recent WTF meeting and this is taken from the "Reform Report" concerning equipment, specifically the gloves:

<<At this juncture, the Reform Committee felt that it would not be appropriate for them to make specific design recommendations because they are not experts in the field of equipment design. Rather, they wish to empower a separate subcommittee of the WTF to hire relevant experts from sporting design and apparel fields to provide more detailed recommendations.

The use of gloves in Taekwondo competition has been somewhat controversial, but glove use is grounded in solid reasoning. It is based on the desire to reinforce the awarding of points for hand and fist techniques. Although WTF Competition Rules do permit such hand and fist techniques, for years contestants have shied away from using them. Presumably, this is because referees discouraged such moves by essentially ignoring their punches and not awarding points for these moves. It is not altogether clear why this situation has evolved, but some in the Taekwondo community believe that it is based on the fact that fist techniques were dangerous and had caused serious physical injury in the past.

Not surprisingly, in traditional Taekwondo the fists play an essential role; as one Reform Committee member said, "We’ve emasculated the sport by taking half the blows away." Gloves are a means of protecting the "weapon" – the hand – and as such an additional level of protecting the body. Gloves would also reduce the amount of grabbing to some extent. Therefore, it is recommended to use some kind of glove to ensure a safe delivery of hand techniques that limits harm to opponent. Though it is likely this glove resemble a bicycle glove than a boxing glove, the WTF Technical Committee is directed to research the specific design of glove before final approval. >>

BTW, they are also thinking about clear headgear (so you can tell a man from a woman :) and colored doboks.....

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very insightful. Thank you. I swear, I've learned more on this board in a few days than I've learned in the past 6 months. You guys are great!

But please tell me you were kidding about the clear headgear....

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
But please tell me you were kidding about the clear headgear....
BTW, welcome to MT Gemini!

No, I am/was serious and that was the stated reason-to be able to differentiate between the sexes.

Miles

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I'm new here, so I'll keep the potentially derogitory "how to check a sex" comments to myself. lol. Anyway, maybe it's just me, but it's hard to take it seriously.

Oh and, thank you for the warm welcome, Miles :)