New WTF sparring gear

J

JanneM

I think they look everything but badass.

I think that bringing foot protectors and gloves to WTF kyorugi rules is the far most worst idea ever.

I suggest that we all go to http://www.wtf.org and ansver on the guestionare about perfered rules and point out that there is no point pringing up new protective gear.

(I'm sorry for my bad English but I am not a native English speaker.)

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
JanneM,

No need to apologize-your English is fine.

Welcome to MT!

Miles

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if people would prefer protection on the weapons or on the targets?

I mean, hogus, arm guards and shin guards protect the area likely to be struck.

Gloves and shoes blunt the weapon.

Would you prefer defensive gear such as hogus, arm pads, shin/instep pads?

Or keep an open body with gloves and shoes to take the edge of the strikes?

J

JanneM

I rather use protective gegar in defencive way like we have been using so far since first kwans adopted bogu tsuki kumite from various karate styles and developed WTF kyorugi.

R

relytjj

FearlessFreep said:

I mean, hogus, arm guards and shin guards protect the area likely to be struck.

Gloves and shoes blunt the weapon.

Would you prefer defensive gear such as hogus, arm pads, shin/instep pads?

Or keep an open body with gloves and shoes to take the edge of the strikes?
I would prefer not to wear any defensive gear and only wear gloves, shin guards, and instep pads.

Primarly I don't like defensive gear because of the hogu. I hate the hogu for two reasons. One, it diffuses the area of the blow. If I get kicked I don't feel pressure just where the strike landed but over a much larger area lessening the damage of the strike. Two, my mobility is restricted when wearing a hogu. I have the smallest size that will fit on me and still I feel restricted.

J

Jim Tindell

Hopefully we'll still be able to wear normal gloves and instep pads. It's not that they're ugly or something (fashion doesn't matter! Hahaa) but they just seem uncomfortable.. especially the feet.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FearlessFreep said:
I prefer to use no protection other than skill and control. I wear gloves because then you make people bruise rather than bleed, as a general rule.

If made to choose, I prefer to pad the weapon rather than the target.

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Adept said:
I prefer to use no protection other than skill and control. I wear gloves because then you make people bruise rather than bleed, as a general rule.

If made to choose, I prefer to pad the weapon rather than the target.
This is one of the things which makes Taekwondo unique in the martial arts is that our kyorugi-free sparring involves padding the target while keeping the weapon unpadded.

The philosophical basis is that you wish to protect your opponent, not yourself. Ideally, you should be able to throw full-power attacks and not injure your partner-that's what sparring is: an exchange of techniques, not a fight.

The new WTF gear is a definite shift in the model.....

Miles

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
nekoTKD said:
Does anyone know where you can buy this gear??
Go to the ProShop section of MT and find a thread on TKD kicking shields which has a link to my friend John S.'s store. He's the only one in the USA to my knowledge.

Miles

N

nekoTKD

Well I couldn't find any on that site, soooo.. can you give me a link?

OP
Miles

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
He does not have any pictured on his website, but he is ordering them from Korea, so give him a call.

Miles

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
JanneM said:
I think they look everything but badass.

I think that bringing foot protectors and gloves to WTF kyorugi rules is the far most worst idea ever.

I suggest that we all go to http://www.wtf.org and ansver on the guestionare about perfered rules and point out that there is no point pringing up new protective gear.

(I'm sorry for my bad English but I am not a native English speaker.)
PLEASE there is no need to apologise for making any language mistakes, there are plenty of us navites that slaughter it just fine. You honor us by taking the time to learn to communicate to us in our own language!

Latest Discussions