New to taekwondo/Need advice

ChichoBlanco

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I am new to taekwondo. I am an ex college soccer player, but that was more than a decade ago. After I quit soccer I put on quite a bit of weight. I lived in Mexico for several years and dated Mexican women. Those ladies sure know how to cook, but it came at a price. The reason I decided to give taekwondo a try is because I decided to go back to college. I'm a respiratory therapy student. I figure if I'm going into health care I should get into good shape so I can be an example of a healthy lifestyle. I've only been training for 3 weeks, but I'm already falling in love with it. I've already got my 4 directional punches down, step sparring, basic blocks for self defense and today I broke a board using a side kick. What I need advice on is work outs. I'm already using an elliptical machine for cardio. I'd like to ad a weight routine, but I can't seem to find any taekwondo weight workouts online. I don't want to get bulky, but just a full body workout. Also I'd like to start a routine to improve flexibility. Any advice would be much appreciated.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

May I suggest that follow this up with a post in the TKD forum...you will probably get a much better response for TKD folks over there!

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome! There's lots of good ways to go. www.rossboxing.com has some good boxer style bodyweight workouts that would be good. Or if you want to go weights, i'd suggest a good all around program that focuses on compound movements and power development (squats, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, rows, etc.)

another good place to try is www.crossfit.com The workouts are brutal but will develop power, speed, endurance and are geared towards fighters (though not taekwondo specific). WHateevr you do, work on your legs and core (but don't neglect chest back and shoulders) Keep a good balance.

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions