New to martial arts, picking one for self defense

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Girl, my name is Andrew and i just registered here in the forum because in the next week i will choose a martial art to do, and improve. I really like muay thai and my main goal is not to go to the competitive side, but for self defending. I will explain: I have 19 years old, but since i only have 1,69 meters (5.5 feet) i am not very confident about myself and my hability to self defending me if i need to in street. I dont want to fight with anybody, but if i have to i must be prepared. So my question here is if someone did ever used muay thai in street for self defending and how did it gone?
Thanks in advance :D

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Self defence is only a small part of martial art training. The skills you learn in Muay Thai should take care of your requirements should the need arise. Perhaps the most important thing though is to find a style you enjoy because you are about to make a large commitment of time and money.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In addition to K-mans advice. You are going to have a steep learning curve over the next months and you may find as you learn more about MT and other arts, you may change what you are attracted to. So as long as your in it for the long haul, take your time try things out for weeks or months at a time and find the training that you will stick with and keep showing up to class, it will be well worth it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Muay Thai works fine for self defence. I have worked with some good Thai guys and they did well in street fights. Some of them no longer work because of how well they did,but that is a different matter.

If you compete your understanding of Thai will be better and so your self defence will be better. But you don't have to. It is a fun and interesting martial art regardless of what you use it for.

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you guys for your opinion ! It helped me a lot. Today i will try a muay thai class in a school near my house, its 25€ per month 3 times a week, what questions should i ask to the instructor or what aspects should i be aware while im in the class ? Like what should i be looking for to see if the instructor ir good and if the class is good ?
Thanks again in advance !

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thank you guys for your opinion ! It helped me a lot. Today i will try a muay thai class in a school near my house, its 25€ per month 3 times a week, what questions should i ask to the instructor or what aspects should i be aware while im in the class ? Like what should i be looking for to see if the instructor ir good and if the class is good ?
Thanks again in advance !
Make sure they facilitate sparring. It's the best way to check yourself every now and then. Consider it an application test and stress test all rolled into one!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You're 19 you have time to try a few different arts Muay Thai is a good place to start. Look around at what is in your area and go check a few places out and see what fits you best.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muy Thai is a good root art! You have a local school. I think you are on a good track. Check back in with us and let us know how your class is going.

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
in this school of muay thai they also have MMA, BOX and jiu jitsu classes but im willing to give a try to muay thai, is the one i like most, so i will try today and i will let you know after how it was so u can judge qith ur knowledge guys. The fact that the school is near my house its a really apelative thing

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
So i went to a muay thai class near my house, and i liked a lot. But give me opinions about the place and the class.
So i went with a friend, and the train was based on: Running, jump rope, the instructor was patient and he demonstrate us how to do basic jab, protecting and that basic things (i already did 2 classes 2 years ago of muay thai, and it was pretty much the same so its normal i guess). While we did this the other guys in the class we're in groups of two doing sequences of moves, and training with intensity. Every 5 minutes the alarm sounded to change sides.
this was today
10891971_430414800441183_4573357354823997003_n.jpg

The instructor is the one sitting down in the middle without air and with a Black/Yellow sweatshit
and now some pictures about the gym:
22283_429137853902211_4269547616925942605_n.jpg

11070024_429136953902301_2294770932632916358_n.jpg

10984130_412748352207828_1037746293623395619_n.jpg

So what is ur toughts guys?

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys, so i just had my first muay thai class and i liked a lot, they really focus on the shape of the body too since we did like 30 minutes of running, push ups, extension arms, abs and squats. The other hour i was teached how to low kick with both leggs and some clinches and how to defend them and get away of clinch. So i really enjoyed! My question now is: i have 1.69cm and 60Kg, i am not fat, i just have a slightly belly cause i eat a lot of trash food, but my abs are kinda visible cause i did sports all my life.. With my training (3x per week) can i get in shape in 2/3 months? Im meso/ectomorph. And i will stop with the junk food and the juices, and i will try to eat a lot of protein, salads and some carbs too. Do u think its possible? Thanks in advance guys!

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
in shape, like a bit ripped, abs, chest

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah you will get abs if your diet is good. If you want to be ripped and chesty. You will need to do some weight exercise on your off days.

Are you training for 1 hour or 2?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Abs are hard.

Its a lot more than diet and weight. I mean, Frankie Edgar doesnt have the same degree of ab definition as Demetrius Johnson or Jose Aldo.

Even with a healthy diet, you need a good Ab regimen. A standard MT and BJJ workout will give you some definition, but youre probably not gonna get washboard abs that easily.

Junior year of HS I cut from 142 to 128 for wrestling, would roll/lift 3 hours at practice and then go to TSD for 2 hours and do forms, drilling, sparring, etc. I had several teammates who would go to BJJ after wrestling, one would head to his Boxing gym after.

We all had some degree of definition, but only one of us had any real abs, and it was the kid who was just skinny enough to have them.

Full on, washboard Abs are one of the hardest things to get. If thats what youre looking for, youre gonna need a specialized Ab workout on top of your regular training.

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
Drop bear i train for 1.30h 3x week
Oh okay, i have dumbbells in home, so i should do some exercices with them to chest and abs in off days? I will try to follow a good diet with proteins and some carbs! I did 1 year of gym, and i had whey protein, but maybe its not necessary after muay thai trainings right?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Drop bear i train for 1.30h 3x week
Oh okay, i have dumbbells in home, so i should do some exercices with them to chest and abs in off days? I will try to follow a good diet with proteins and some carbs! I did 1 year of gym, and i had whey protein, but maybe its not necessary after muay thai trainings right?

Even with Gym workouts, if you wanma bulk, youre probably gonna need protein.

Abs are something youre gonna wanna fit in everyday if you really wanna keep them.

1000 crunches a day, 5 minutws of planking (side and normal) and side crunches are a good place to start, but there are a million ab workouts online you can find.

Abs are all about discipline and perseverance

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
Even with Gym workouts, if you wanma bulk, youre probably gonna need protein.

Abs are something youre gonna wanna fit in everyday if you really wanna keep them.

1000 crunches a day, 5 minutws of planking (side and normal) and side crunches are a good place to start, but there are a million ab workouts online you can find.

Abs are all about discipline and perseverance

I dont do gym nowz cause i have a problem with a nerve in my arm
I was searching about the abs exercices qnd i found this: Five-Week Washboard Ab Workout Muscle Fitness what do u think of it? Im a totally noob at abs

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont do gym nowz cause i have a problem with a nerve in my arm
I was searching about the abs exercices qnd i found this: Five-Week Washboard Ab Workout Muscle Fitness what do u think of it? Im a totally noob at abs

Assuming you jave the bench and weights to do it, it looks fine.

Im not a real big fan of "choose an exercise from group a, now group B" etc. Style workout plans because i personally feel it lets folks cheat at their workout by changing the pre-decided exercises when they run into difficulty

Latest Discussions