Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
New Requirements for Travelers (USA)

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I have been bombarded with this at work, and thought Iwould share this here as well.

Beginning January 23, 2007, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document, or an Alien Registration Card, Form I-551, if applicable.

If you do not have a passport and are a US Citizen or are in the America's and want to travel to the USA, one might want to get one ASAP.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this affects military?

In the past, we were allowed to travel internationally with only a copy of our Orders or Leave orders. I was told that this may change - any updates?

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this affects military?

In the past, we were allowed to travel internationally with only a copy of our Orders or Leave orders. I was told that this may change - any updates?

I am not sure. I could not find anything on the site in the FAQ or on thier search for Military and International travel.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should see what you need to get into the States if you aren't American!
Did you not need passports before to go to those places then?

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You should see what you need to get into the States if you aren't American!
Did you not need passports before to go to those places then?

Canada was just drive over. If asked provide an ID or driver's license or Birth Certificate.

Mexico, was have a Valid US ID, PAssport being the best, but a Driver's License being sufficent, unless you looked questionable and then one may need more or have to be detained while they checked.

Caribbean - once again only required a valid ID.

All this applies to US citizens traveling there and coming back.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I'm assuming you have to pay for your passports as we do, this seems to be a nice little earner for the government then! A tax on travelling! Security covers a multitude of things, any terrorist (or smuggler) worth his salt isn't going to be put off by having to have a passport are they?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As I'm assuming you have to pay for your passports as we do, this seems to be a nice little earner for the government then! A tax on travelling! Security covers a multitude of things, any terrorist (or smuggler) worth his salt isn't going to be put off by having to have a passport are they?

Well, it is not nearly as expensive as the ticket. I think the government almost breaks even on the cost.

And you would be surprised at just how many things can be stopped by a little bit of care. Passports can be faked, but it adds an entire level of difficulty for a potential terrorist. That limits them quite a bit and requires a lot more planning and interaction- which is something that lowers OPSEC and such.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any terrorist coming into the States from any of those places would presumably need a passport to get into them if coming from outside the States in the first place so it would only limit terrorists who actually came from those countries.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Any terrorist coming into the States from any of those places would presumably need a passport to get into them if coming from outside the States in the first place so it would only limit terrorists who actually came from those countries.

Not neccesarily. There are a lot of ways things can be passed on to people in other countries. The Soviet Union's embassy in Mexico used to be the biggest one around so that they could work at espionage and meet agents there instead of in America itself.

So if a Al Queda sleeper agent was in America now (as we happen to believe) he would have to show a passport instead of a more easily obtained driver's liscense before meeting up with a contact in those nations. That is just one possible reason for the new rule.

But the reasoning that if it can't catch the most sophisticated and competent targets it is useless is not one I subscribe to. You do not make it easier for stupid criminals or terrorists. And they do exist. Take a look at survelince cameras in public places like gas stations. Any competent criminal would take efforts to hide their identity. But they do disuade some crimes and every month people get sent to prison because of them.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Well try this for you. India to Toronto, switch Passports or use one to get out of India, and then once in Toronto you are now someone else. From there jsut drive across one of our bridges or roads from Canada to USA. Show your new US Driver's license form a state not along the border, and then get in.

There are lot of reasons for it as well.

All new USA Passports (* not sure when it takes effect *) will be given a chip to have further identity theft issues. All outside passports to enter into the USA (* Not sure of the date either *), will also have to have this chip for identity issues.

See links for details:

http://news.com.com/Passports+to+get+RFID+chip+implants/2100-7348_3-5913644.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/eppt_2498.html

A link from UK about someone who broke the code on a UK passport.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/idcards/story/0,,1950226,00.html

The electronic ticket stub containted information they were able to use to basically use Identity theft processes to then back track.

So, while it makes things harder to forge, nothing is 100%.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, it is not nearly as expensive as the ticket. I think the government almost breaks even on the cost.

Just as a follow up, it seems that the cost has gone up quite a bit since I last got mine renewed. Ouch!

But one thing that people on both sides of the ocean might not be aware of is how different countries handle driver's liscenses. Here in Japan there is one version for the entire country. But in America, every state has their own version. I do not know how it is like in the UK where Tez3 is writing from.

But consider that the agents used to have to deal and be familiar with over 50 different types of ID instead of a passport and you start to see the problem. And not all of the liscenses are hard to copy. It is rather a big thing for high school students to produce copies. So you can see the problems.

And while a terrorist might need a passport to originally get to one of the nations that originally were covered by driver's licenses, some of those nations are not hard to get into or really check too well.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just as a follow up, it seems that the cost has gone up quite a bit since I last got mine renewed. Ouch!

But one thing that people on both sides of the ocean might not be aware of is how different countries handle driver's liscenses. Here in Japan there is one version for the entire country. But in America, every state has their own version. I do not know how it is like in the UK where Tez3 is writing from.

But consider that the agents used to have to deal and be familiar with over 50 different types of ID instead of a passport and you start to see the problem. And not all of the liscenses are hard to copy. It is rather a big thing for high school students to produce copies. So you can see the problems.

And while a terrorist might need a passport to originally get to one of the nations that originally were covered by driver's licenses, some of those nations are not hard to get into or really check too well.

Add in that each state also can use a different strategy for generating your Driver's License Number. A few states use the same, while others have unique. This means a lot of database cross reference checks.

As to the cost Don I think it is because of the new chips that it has risen.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have one driving licence for the country but it is really only for driving your car with.You can't use it for getting on even internal flights, a paaport is the only thing they'll accept. We don't have compulsary ID..yet so you can go around without anything to identify you here.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is important to note...

traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda

So drive overs or sea cruises may not require the passport.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it is important to note...

So drive overs or sea cruises may not require the passport.

Those require the Passport ID at a later date. The link I provided has the date as:

As early as January 1, 2008, ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes permit a later deadline, the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to meet all requirements as soon as possible. Ample advance notice will be provided to enable the public to obtain passports or passport cards for land/sea entries.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Latest Discussions