New Rank Farm

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I recently recieved an email from one of the national martial arts associations that help schools "boost enrollment" and things like that. I don't have much experience with any of them, but it always seems a bit over the top to me.

Said organization has now gotten into the business of "rank verification/promotion" as well as business consulting/school consulting. Here's the info from their website...identifying information has been removed or changed (changed info is in bold italics) to avoid advertising for them.

What do y'all think? Another rank farm or valuable service?

Begin Article:

The [name omitted] Association Ranking Program offers its members both confirming and advancing black belt rankings. A confirming rank is the issuance of an official association Rank Certificate for the same rank you currently hold.
An advancing rank certificate promotes you to your next degree. This is ideal for members who no longer belong to an organization or are associated with an organization, other than this organization , that can provide rank for them.
To add prestige to the promotion, we suggest you bring the president of this organization to your next big event to present you with the certificate. This creates a media opportunity and a chance for your students to hear him sing your praises and recognize your value in the martial arts community.
In most cases, this can be done just by covering travel expenses unless you'd like a school evaluation or seminar taught by him while he is there.
Here's how the program works:
To apply for either rank certificate, send us :
a. A copy of your current rank certificate
b. A one page bio
c. Three letters of recommendation from other black belts supporting the ranking confirmation
d. A 20-30-minute video showing a cross section of advanced forms, fighting, teaching and target work. If you don't do forms, that's fine. Just indicate that to us in your cover letter.
e. A non-refundable application fee of $100
After reviewing your materials, we will either:
a. Inform you that you are accepted and issue the certificate upon receipt of the remaining balance (see below for fee structure)
b. Inform you that, upon improvement in the areas described, you may re-apply at no additional charge
1. Confirming Certificate Application Fees
Fee: $500
2. Advancing Rank Certificate Application Fees
2nd Degree $600
3rd Degree $700
4th Degree $800
5th Degree $1,000
6th Degree $2,000
If you would like to find out more or apply for a rank certificate, contact the president of this organization at his email address [link removed]

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
icon13.gif

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I
To add prestige to the promotion, we suggest you bring the president of this organization to your next big event to present you with the certificate. This creates a media opportunity and a chance for your students to hear him sing your praises and recognize your value in the martial arts community.

Haha, stone_dragone, just let ME come to your next big event. I will myself sing your praises to your students better than this guy ever could!

This sounds like a money grab to me.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's really not worth it.

If someone wants to get a "universally recognized" rank, he can test with the USA-NKF or WKF, and get a ranking appropriate to his actual skill.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah someone sent me that same info...I'll pass....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thier's
A non-refundable application fee of $100
1. Confirming Certificate Application Fee $500
2. Advancing Rank Certificate Application Fees $600 - $2000

Kreth's
$250, $200 for MT members

I think Crane is right Kreth, You ARE onto someting here

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's that old line? `There's one born every minute' :lol:

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The association in Okinawa whom I have my 6th dan through was only $100 processing and registration fees for my 6th Dan. While Nitta Sensei was here at the dojo he surprised me with my Renshi certification which are you all sitting down this. It was expense, cost me spending some time with him so he could get to know me, training with him one on one, and making sure he was taken care of, really just being me. So all in all it was FREE. I don't understand how someone could be stupid enough to spend that kind of money for a promotion. I mean if someone needed help with that I would help them through my association but a black belts of the same of similar system would actually test them and the fess would be minimal.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. Confirming Certificate Application Fees
Fee: $500
2. Advancing Rank Certificate Application Fees
2nd Degree $600
3rd Degree $700
4th Degree $800
5th Degree $1,000
6th Degree $2,000
If you would like to find out more or apply for a rank certificate, contact the president of this organization at his email address [link removed]

What no sokeships or knighthoods? Frankly I am a bit disappointed. :2xBird2:

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Your check cleared...Congratulations, Master!

The sad thing is how many people are willing to cheapen their art and prostitute themselves. I don't know if it's for prestige or the potential of attracting more students and money but it's disheartening. It's a rare month I don't get 2 or 3 of these come-ons in the mail. Between that and the "pay your on way" Hall of Fames, some folks are making big bucks on gullible wannabees.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently recieved an email from one of the national martial arts associations that help schools "boost enrollment" and things like that.

How, exactly, do you get on their mailing list? I've never gotten something like this.

Personally, I think you should send the president a scathing email, chastising him over this nonsense. If I got an email like that, that's what I'd do.

Latest Discussions