New Raincoat Stores Water For Drinking

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First thing I thought of... Stilsuits from Arrakis (Dune) comes to earth.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/long-rains-ll-never-thirsty-raincoat-171441616.html

Wonders if the filters last long (200 gallons or more) or if they're dense enough to filter out acid rain? It's an interesting concept to be sure... a handy piece of survival gear IMO ... provided one is out in the jungles or forests of the Pacific North-West and other places that get a lot of rainfall. If the suit can be packed away small enough to fit in a "day-pack" then it might be a worthwhile investment... please note.. I said "might be".

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An interesting idea sure enough - makes for an easier life than wrapping a plastic bag around a tree branch and waiting all day to collect it's respiration :D.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
First thing I thought of... Stilsuits from Arrakis (Dune) comes to earth.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/long-rains-ll-never-thirsty-raincoat-171441616.html

Wonders if the filters last long (200 gallons or more) or if they're dense enough to filter out acid rain? It's an interesting concept to be sure... a handy piece of survival gear IMO ... provided one is out in the jungles or forests of the Pacific North-West and other places that get a lot of rainfall. If the suit can be packed away small enough to fit in a "day-pack" then it might be a worthwhile investment... please note.. I said "might be".

I don't think you can filter out acid rain, you would need something to neutralize pH, and considering the acidity of your stomach acid, it probably won't do much to help the functional benefit of the water to your body.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Must be a ***** to clean. Cleaning a Camelbak is enough of a PITA...but a network of reservoirs and tubes? No thanks.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Must be a ***** to clean. Cleaning a Camelbak is enough of a PITA...but a network of reservoirs and tubes? No thanks.
The company that makes Camelbaks have found better ways to clean their product and such... one would think that the japanese creators of this coat would have already have that figured out and have something similar. :idunno: The initial idea is a good one.

Latest Discussions