New Musketeers Film

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
we will need 3D glasses for every day life before long....reality is just not flashy enough...

(I am getting tired of that 3D craze....it worked in2D for almost 100 years...what's wrong with it?! If the story is good you don't even need color!)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Can't wait myself. This one looks good. My kids know I'm good for two movie subjects: King Arthur and Robin Hood. I'll see any of them, good or bad, anytime. I read the books and love the movies.

A close third is the Three Musketeers.

Fourth, for the record, is Chuchulain. While I've read no less than 6 different accounts of that legend, I have yet to see or hear about a movie. It would make a great one, IMO.

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
saw the other trailer looks absolutely diabolical!!

stupid hollywood over-action movie hanging on the back of a classic.

im sure it'll be a roller coaster ride of thrills and spills but as a musketeers movie i think its going to spit on its predecessors.

m'lady - well, they've just changed her costume but she still thinks shes in a resident evil film. same with orlando. still thinks he's in a pirates of the caribbean movie.
huge flying airships - plleeaaaseee.. :/

both the 1973 and 1993 movies were classics (not familiar with the gene kelly version) and held true to the period. i think this is just going to be an action film with the same name and a very loosely related plot. might a well call it something else.

that said with another 20 years difference most kids arent going to know the difference so it'll probably be a hit

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
New or old, it will give us older ones something to jar our memories on of days of yesteryear.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
saw the other trailer looks absolutely diabolical!!

stupid hollywood over-action movie hanging on the back of a classic.

im sure it'll be a roller coaster ride of thrills and spills but as a musketeers movie i think its going to spit on its predecessors.

m'lady - well, they've just changed her costume but she still thinks shes in a resident evil film. same with orlando. still thinks he's in a pirates of the caribbean movie.
huge flying airships - plleeaaaseee.. :/

both the 1973 and 1993 movies were classics (not familiar with the gene kelly version) and held true to the period. i think this is just going to be an action film with the same name and a very loosely related plot. might a well call it something else.

that said with another 20 years difference most kids arent going to know the difference so it'll probably be a hit

I only saw the end of the 93 one....made my toenails curl.....(though I really loved the cast, but you really really REALLY can't ever consider punching the Cardinal in the mouth!)

the 73 one was AWESOME....made Gene Kelly proud I am sure! You missed out if you have not seen that one - the Gene Kelly one.

There was one made in the 90ish time frame, by some Japanese action director, all unknown people, but great stunts...I meant to watch it some time...

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Superfly, I shall have to dig out the other trailers you mentioned but what I saw on that BBC interview looked good to me :D. I'm with Steve on this when it comes to absolute classic 'boys own' action: Arthur, Robin, the Three Musketeer's ... and Capt. Nemo as my fourth (tho' the Chuchulain legends would make for a splendid movie :tup:}

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watched the 'official' trailer and it is a bit OTT with flying ships, this rather firmly moving more into the fantasy world rather than 'fantastical history'. But I don't think it's a Hollywood movie, tho' I can't be certain. I think it's a German production and has a British director:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027271/

A
s to Mila being Resident Evily ... well I'd say she's entitled :D. But one of her best roles for me was as Joan of Arc - that's a great film, if very grim. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151137/

SuperFLY

Green Belt
Reaction score
the older movies are definitely worth a watch. quite slapstick but brilliant :D

i have to say i did like the fact they've kept some of that comedy in the new film. 'only 30 of them? not 300? yes, it was an off day' :)

the 73 one was AWESOME....made Gene Kelly proud I am sure! You missed out if you have not seen that one - the Gene Kelly one.

1948 is way before my time but i'll see if i can dig out a copy from somewhere and give it a watch. i do love the 73 one, Michael York is a legend

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can wait for this one on TV. Directed by Paul Anderson gives me zero confidence in it being any more than shlocky action. The Resident Evil moves? Death Race? Mortal Kombat? AVP? I can wait.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
we will need 3D glasses for every day life before long....reality is just not flashy enough...

(I am getting tired of that 3D craze....it worked in2D for almost 100 years...what's wrong with it?! If the story is good you don't even need color!)

I really hope 3D doesn't take over. It gives me a headache. I joined a group watching Pirates of the Caribbean. I got out voted on 3D. Over an hour into the movie I had a blinding headache and motion sickness. I had to go throw up in the toilets. Time to go home.

I really hate 3D.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Watched the 'official' trailer and it is a bit OTT with flying ships, this rather firmly moving more into the fantasy world rather than 'fantastical history'. But I don't think it's a Hollywood movie, tho' I can't be certain. I think it's a German production and has a British director:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0027271/

A
s to Mila being Resident Evily ... well I'd say she's entitled :D. But one of her best roles for me was as Joan of Arc - that's a great film, if very grim. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151137/

I really liked her as Joan Of Arc.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
the older movies are definitely worth a watch. quite slapstick but brilliant :D

i have to say i did like the fact they've kept some of that comedy in the new film. 'only 30 of them? not 300? yes, it was an off day' :)

1948 is way before my time but i'll see if i can dig out a copy from somewhere and give it a watch. i do love the 73 one, Michael York is a legend

There is actually another one out with another Screen Legend of old....from 1921.....

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fourth, for the record, is Chuchulain. While I've read no less than 6 different accounts of that legend, I have yet to see or hear about a movie. It would make a great one, IMO.

Yeah, I love the Irish legends. Cuchulain, Finn Mac Cumhaill, the tale of Deirdre and the sons of Naisi... I've always wondered why they're not as well known in pop culture compared to the Greek legends.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nothing will beat the 1973 version because I was young man then! And Rachel Welch was hot in her tight bodice!

This version looks like more Crouching Tiger, Hidden Piece of Sh!te Dragon swordplay bull bleep.

Yes in 1973 the swordplay was choreographed with some slapstick BUT it also showed people getting winded while brawling - kicking and sticking each other... like you would in a real sword fight to the death!!!?

In the '73 version and others the interrupted duel at the beginning had Six Cardinal Guards against The Three Musketeers, which prompted young D'Artagnan to then choose sides to make victory more possible... WHAT this version has forty guards on four!?

Rant almost over - time for my Geritol now. :)

... and Flying ships in 17th century France - my pasty white Irish ****... and swallows can carry coconuts to England!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcLQRXW6B0

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, I love the Irish legends. Cuchulain, Finn Mac Cumhaill, the tale of Deirdre and the sons of Naisi... I've always wondered why they're not as well known in pop culture compared to the Greek legends.

Nobody can pronounce heir names

Latest Discussions