New Member From FL - Getting Back Into MA

TH420X

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,

My name is Todd and I am from Lakeland, FL (Tampa Bay Area). Over the years I have studied Karate, Kung Fu, and Aikido, but nothing for any length of time; basically, I'm a noob. I am presently checking out various school in my area to decide where I want to train.

My choices, in the area I live, are Karate, Kung Fu, Aikido, BJJ, MMA, Krav Maga, Tae Kwon Do, and Tai Chi (kinda). I believe my decision will be to train in Wing Chun Kung Fu. I enjoy the flowing style of Kung Fu, as well as the traditionalism and history that goes along with it. My goal is not to train for a UFC cage match or to even compete in tournaments; my goal, rather, is to regain the flexibility and strength I once had as well as to tone my body and maintain my weight (getting older - 33) while also learning a useful skill that I could employ should the need ever arise. As time goes by (years), I would also like to learn some Tai Chi.

Well, that's about it for me. I would like to say thank you for all of the useful information contained in this site and contributed by everyone.

-Todd

Welcome to MT. Those are great reasons to start training in MA. Keep in touch and let us know how you are enjoying Wing Chun

Chris

What I meant by "kinda" is that there is a guy who teaches it one Saturday a month, for an hour, in the park, for free. Not really something I could study to become proficient in due to only having 12 hours of training per year.

The Wing Chun has been great. I went ahead and finished out my research on the different schools last week and decided that the Wing Chun Kung Fu was what I wanted to learn. I really like the style, the school, the Sifu, and the students. Obviously, I signed up. All in all it is a great match. Plus, there is a total of 14 hours per week that I could attend so it fits very nicely into my schedule. As a bonus, I can learn the traditional Lion Dancing, if I so choose. They do it in the Lakeland Christmas Parade every year. Looks interesting. I'll let you know how it progresses!

What I meant by "kinda" is that there is a guy who teaches it one Saturday a month, for an hour, in the park, for free. Not really something I could study to become proficient in due to only having 12 hours of training per year.

The Wing Chun has been great. I went ahead and finished out my research on the different schools last week and decided that the Wing Chun Kung Fu was what I wanted to learn. I really like the style, the school, the Sifu, and the students. Obviously, I signed up. All in all it is a great match. Plus, there is a total of 14 hours per week that I could attend so it fits very nicely into my schedule. As a bonus, I can learn the traditional Lion Dancing, if I so choose. They do it in the Lakeland Christmas Parade every year. Looks interesting. I'll let you know how it progresses!

Thanks

And Wing Chun is a good thing

So strange to teach only once a month for a year.
Maybe he can teach more if you talk to him. But Wingchun is good and I am glad you found something you enjoy. Best of luck and fortune towards you.

The guy is like a mid-thirties hippie guy who just does it for fun and doesn't want to do it any more than he does. A Birkenstock earthy type. I like the Wing Chun; the Sifu has a great program and it gives me the endurance workout I need now that gravity is trying to set in. :)

Thanks!!

Latest Discussions

Back