New Kenpo student,frustrated,concerned,overwhelmed and feeling lost.

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey,

Good advice from everyone.

I understand the feeling of being overwhelmed.

You sound like a man that must have a certain amount of perfection in one thing before going onto another. Perhaps you are not comfortable learning what is new without having met your own standards with what you have previously learned. I don't know if that is accurate or not; it is what I get from your posts. Your personal standard may be incredibly high. That's not a bad thing at all.

Maybe being taught so many new techniques before you have had the chance to bring the previous ones up to your standards is a little frustrating. I don't know.

If that is the kind of person you are, perhaps the most important thing that you can do is to begin researching Master Key Movements. Plug it into the search function here at MT.

Perhaps by mentally shattering the illusion that surrounds the techniques, you could focus all of your efforts on the few universal movements that are combined to make the technique.

By mastering the few, you master the many. By understanding how these handful of movements work together in various ways in order to accomplish various affects may be the most beneficial action you can undertake.

It has changed the way that I look at techniques, and limited some of the burden of the monsterous technique list. It is not a topic that is very advanced. It just requires an alteration of perspective and some experimentation.

Anyway, good luck to you.

:)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
Great reply Sam rep points coming your way.
Ditto, that was a great post Samantha, particularly as you're closer to the time when you remember the white/yellow belt's struggle.

I would add, or echo rather, as it's already been said here, don't focus on advancement (tests) to the point of it disrupting the harmony of your training. I know it's hard - you want to go as quickly as possible and keep up with every single one of your classmates. However, no one is going to care if you stay a yellow belt for an extra test period. To the contrary, doing so may make you a FAR better black belt down the road because you will have absorbed the basics better.

Kenpo is great, and EPAK is REALLY great, but understand that knowing a lot of techniques isn't the key to self-defense. Become proficient in a handful of basic combatives and you will be better prepared than many martial artists who know a dozen forms and hundreds of self-defense techniques but lack a handful of quick response techniques that they don't have to think about before using in a pinch.

Best of luck with your training. We've all been there. The test isn't how quickly you learn, rather how well you persevere.

Mikael151

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
For me, there came a breaking point. Once you get accustomed to the basic techniques/sets/forms.... learning more is much easier. Once you get these basics down sufficiently then they act as a sort of reference for many others.
Kenpo is the first and only martial art I've taken. I struggled with the material from day one, but like Brother John said, I got to a point where I had internalized the basics and understood the concepts of motion. Most of this came together as I was working on the Blue Belt material.

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wow 392 views and a ton of Good advice. Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and very sound advice. Too answer a few of the questions that were asked in the latter responses one being the question of mandatory testing. After class last night I asked my instructor if I could opt to skip the belt test next month if I feel I am not ready. He said that I could voluntarily skip a test if I really wanted to. But he thinks I still have more than enough time before the test to prepare and in the worst case scenario I could still test and if I did not make the cut I just would not be promoted. I also went back into how I was feeling like I freeze up when I am on the mat and have a hard time remembering all the movements. My instructor said he will go back over the material we have been over to this point since we have been taught all the tech’s for this block.

“You sound like a man that must have a certain amount of perfection in one thing before going onto another. Perhaps you are not comfortable learning what is new without having met your own standards with what you have previously learned. I don't know if that is accurate or not; it is what I get from your posts. Your personal standard may be incredibly high. That's not a bad thing at all”

Well yes and no, I do want to have proficiency to a point that I can do the tech correctly and not have to stop midway through the tech and think about what I am doing. Or if the last strike is a palm heel, or say hammer fist that’s the most common mistakes I seem to repeat. I know that it will be many years if ever I am able to prefect even one tech, but I also don’t want to be mediocre in a since either. I hope that makes sense.

I also wanted to say that after reading all the good advise, I have more confidence that if I just stay with my training and never give up I will in time get better and more able to retain what I am being taught. I am the world worst at comparing myself to everyone else in the class even the instructor. And being that I am a ways behind most of the class members that I compare myself too, I am at a very real disadvantage in doing so.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
I have more confidence that if I just stay with my training and never give up I will in time get better and more able to retain what I am being taught. [/color]

I think that your words speak volumes. KEEP AT IT. You aren't on your classmates path, they aren't on yours.... walk your own and do your best with it. Down through time you'll be very glad you did.
I am the world worst at comparing myself to everyone else in the class even the instructor. And being that I am a ways behind most of the class members that I compare myself too, I am at a very real disadvantage in doing so.
Don't compare, COPY. Look how they move, discern their timing....mimic. It's what senior students are for. Don't JUST 'learn' from the teacher, be observant and Learn from Everyone. Turn your "disadvantage" of comparison against others into an advantage of learning from everyone. In some way EVERYONE is better than me at something....if I am observant and open to change then I can glean from them what they've worked hard to earn...and thus...earn it as well. BUT: If I'm all caught up in comparisons...then I have my eyes on what's wrong instead of what could be so much better and HOW.
Something to think about....

As for your disadvantages: OVERCOME them. Time in class is one element of your matial arts career....but just ONE. Work out at home!!!! Spend time going over the material that you've learned. You've got books to support what you know, to help show you a clear (hopefully it's clear) outline of what each step requires. Pay attention to detail!!!!!!!!!!! Can't emphasize that enough. The Detail is where the REAL quality lies..... NOT in how many techniques you've got memorized and how many forms and sets you can really make flow....those are important, but it's the attention to every single detail that you can in ALL that you do that makes a huge difference. Isolate something.... take a different technique every three days. Spend three days WORKING THE HECK out of that particular technique.... look hard at what really makes it tick. Believe me, what makes ONE technique tick....will make many many more later down the road HUMMM!!! SO find those things and work them. Then the next time you ARE able to get to class, you'll have a better understanding of what you instructor is trying to get across.... because you'll have done your homework. REMEMBER: You aren't just a martial artist in the school.... so don't think of not being able to make it to class as often as you like as a huge obstacle... it frees you up some to spend more time on your own making Certain that what you DO have...................you have WELL!
Quality will show, it's what makes a difference... Don't be a "Technique" collector, be a technique perfecter!!!

WOW.......now I'm preaching. Sorry. I'm healing up from surgery and waiting to get back to the school myself.
I've got my own "Freed-up time"....hahaha.....

KEEP IN TOUCH!

Your Brother
John

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of mandatory testing every 2 months.

If I told a bird, a squirrel and an elephant that they all had to climb a tree to win a race, I would bank my money on the squirrel since the squirrel would be using his/her natural God-given talents. We are ALL different and unique. One comes easy to one person might be a very difficult challenge to another. And that is OK. Why the rush?

I think testing NEEDS TO BE on a person-by-person basis only. As an example, I have a student that achieved a brown belt with me in just 3 years. I also have three or four students that are green belt and have trained with me almost 6 years. The difference? The brown belt trains more often, practices more often, works harder during class, listens and is more attentive to my recommendations, attends more camps, seminars, tournaments, ect.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seabrook said:
I don't like the idea of mandatory testing every 2 months.

Why the rush?

I think testing NEEDS TO BE on a person-by-person basis only.
Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

YES!!!
I fully agree.

I don't know who his instructor is or what school he's with....but it seems to me that a mandatory 2 months and you test set up seems a little bit like a Kenpo-convayorbelt. I could be wrong, but that seems best for money generation, as does all that he's paying for.....unless he's doing so purely from his own desire, then........more power too'm.

Your Brother
John

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
YES!!!
I fully agree.

I don't know who his instructor is or what school he's with....but it seems to me that a mandatory 2 months and you test set up seems a little bit like a Kenpo-convayorbelt. I could be wrong, but that seems best for money generation, as does all that he's paying for.....unless he's doing so purely from his own desire, then........more power too'm.

Your Brother
John
Agreed 100% John.

Jamie Seabrook

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
testing students before they are ready will lead to difficulty down the road. where i come from, we review that belt curriculum for two solid weeks before being required to test...and if we do happen to fail the belt test, we are not required to pay the test fee (which is minor to begin with). the testing timeframe should be tailored to the individual student, not the class a whole.

keep practicing hemi. don't lose confidence. hope everything turns out well for you.

:asian:

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well I didn’t mean to imply that the school I attend is a “Mc dojo” as some have called schools. I don’t see a test every two months as being mandatory my instructor did say I could skip the test if I wanted to, he also said that he thinks I have more than enough time to prepare if I put in the work at home. Or I could opt to just skip the test all together I’m still on the fence over that one. I am going to work a lot at home these next few weeks. I also talked to a fellow student that lives close to me about hooking up and working the tech’s we do know (he’s only one belt higher than me) but that will help.

Then we get to the other part that does bug me a little, I fully understand that my instructor does this as his only means of making a living. But $30 for 30 min. of one on one training I may be way off base but that seems kind of high? My instructor said that he has a lot of students that participate in the private lessons and it helps them a lot. I would love to have about six hours of private lessons but I can’t afford that right now. And on the other hand he did offer Sat classes that were only for make up classes if you missed a class during the week. So that is going above and beyond on his part.

I guess I was kind of vague when I wrote all the stuff I bought in the first part of starting classes. The monthly fee well that is normal, I bought the sparring pads on my own since they are required to spar but sparing is not a required part of the class. Then the book of tech’s well that IMHO should be supplied free but it was $30. The school shirts I picked up since during the summer we can wear them in place of the gi top.

“I think testing NEEDS TO BE on a person-by-person basis only” I agree 100% I wish that was the way it was done in my school but it’s something I am dealing with.

Brother John- “Don't compare, COPY. Look how they move, discern their timing....mimic. It's what senior students are for. Don't JUST 'learn' from the teacher, be observant and Learn from Everyone. Turn your "disadvantage" of comparison against others into an advantage of learning from everyone.”

That is great advice and something I didn’t think of. Thank you for that.

Seabrook – “If I told a bird, a squirrel and an elephant that they all had to climb a tree to win a race, I would bank my money on the squirrel since the squirrel would be using his/her natural God-given talents”

Great analogy and one I will try to remember.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
Well I didn’t mean to imply that the school I attend is a “Mc dojo” as some have called schools. I don’t see a test every two months as being mandatory my instructor did say I could skip the test if I wanted to
That's good. So from what you say your are given the option to and encouraged to participate in a test that's available to you every two months. Sounds more reasonable.
I didn't mean to imply that it was a McDojo, seriously. But I've been "milked" before by Karate schools....resentment is a difficult obstacle on any path.
I also talked to a fellow student that lives close to me about hooking up and working the tech’s we do know (he’s only one belt higher than me) but that will help.
THAT is one of the best ideas I've read. GO FOR IT. The two of you, if you get together frequently and can keep up with one another in intensity, may form the partnership that's just the very thing that gets you the Furthest on the path!!!! GO FOR IT!!!
:partyon:
Then we get to the other part that does bug me a little, I fully understand that my instructor does this as his only means of making a living. But $30 for 30 min. of one on one training I may be way off base but that seems kind of high? My instructor said that he has a lot of students that participate in the private lessons and it helps them a lot.
I understand your position, but each of the things you state are true:
1. a Buck a minute seems like a lot of money. BUT: It's not unusual. Remember, it's HIS time......and it's totally optional.
2. He Does make his living at teaching, and when he's giving something extra that's totally optional and supplemental: he can charge what he wants. REMEMBER: A good instructor (in my opinion) doesn't sell you his art.... You Couldn't afford it! He gets compensated for his time. Time he could have been with his family or doing something to further the goals on his path, in his life. You want MORE of his time than he's alreadying giving you..... you pay what He says his time is worth.
3. Private lessons, though costly, ARE valuable! If you try it once and it doesn't benefit you a great deal....ok....don't do it again. BUT: if it does benefit you a lot.........then reserve it for those times that you feel you are stuck or at a plateu!! Trust me, those times WILL come. They do for all of us.
Then the book of tech’s well that IMHO should be supplied free but it was $30.
On this one, I will respectufully disagree. The material isn't free. He charges for his class time and that's seperate from materials. Being his school, he's free to require you to buy whatever.........so long as you Knew that ahead of time and didn't just spring it on you later. $$$$-Ambushing is a poor practice.

Have a good one.

Your Brother
John

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
2004hemi [font=Times New Roman said:
Then we get to the other part that does bug me a little, I fully understand that my instructor does this as his only means of making a living. But $30 for 30 min. of one on one training I may be way off base but that seems kind of high? My instructor said that he has a lot of students that participate in the private lessons and it helps them a lot. I would love to have about six hours of private lessons but I can’t afford that right now. And on the other hand he did offer Sat classes that were only for make up classes if you missed a class during the week. So that is going above and beyond on his part.[/font]

While it may appear to be high priced, keep in mind a few things. I've seen $20-$25 as the usual price for a private for a half hour. An hour lesson can range from $50-$100+. The price may be up there due to the fact that you're the only one thats getting the attention, compared to 20 students in a group setting. They're definately a great thing, as Bro John mentioned. Even if you only did one a month, you'd notice some changes.

Mike

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with what they are saying about private lessons. They help so much that they are required at my school, and included in the monthly fee. Most students take one a week, some of the luckier (ie - wealthier) students take two or more per week).

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At our school, privates are $30 per hour.

We also have a written technique manual - every empty hand, club, knife, gun and grab technique, every pinan and kata... It's $250. We have a student manual for $35 but it does not describe the techniques. Just stances, punches, kicks, rank requirements, dojo rules and history... stuff like that.

T

t-bone1972

i dont know if anybody suggested this but take the time and make a journal write everything you learn in detail plus anything your instructor says you have to work on. It sounds like you may have info overload and writing it down will help you reinforce it mentally.

Latest Discussions