New Kenpo student,frustrated,concerned,overwhelmed and feeling lost.

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the real point of this post is other than to put it down on paper and let the world see it. Or maybe to just vent, or even to see if others out there feel as I do or did feel this way at this stage of training. I am still new in American Kenpo and let me first say I love it. But I am to a point that I feel very overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, and sometimes just plain lost.

I have only been in Kenpo close to five months now. In that short time I have reached yellow belt, the 2nd belt in our system and hope to reach advanced yellow belt next month. In these last five months I have been exposed to a lot of new information. And some, that just got very rusty. Such as Front snap, roundhouse, thrusting front snap, thrusting side kick, back kick and others. So I am doing what I can to get up to speed and have correct form with the kicks but also I am being bombarded with new information every week. Things like GRIP OF DEATH, OBSCURE WING, THRUSTING SALUTE, RAINING CLAW, CROSSING TALON, LOCKING HORNS, DELAYED SWORD, DEFLECTING HAMMER, CAPTURED TWIGS, THE GRASP OF DEATH, SCRAPING HOOF, SHIELDING HAMMER, CRASHING WINGS, and CIRCLING WING. Then you add the pressure of Short Form one, Coordination set, blocking set one, and the Kenpo Salute. And now we get to Right Neutral bow, Left Neutral bow, Cat stance, 45 Cat stances. Dang I feel like my head is about to explode.

To make things worse I have been sick for the last two weeks. I also have been battling an abscess tooth. During this time I ended up missing 3 classes, not in a row but over two weeks. So I am short a few techniques in my list that I will be tested over. As much as I am impressed with Kenpo and what those that have been in Kenpo for a little longer than I have can do, I wonder if I picked the wrong style. I have a MOUNTAIN of stuff to learn and before I can get good at one tech I have two or three more to contend with. I am very, very impressed with my instructor. His skill is amazing and as an instructor he is very good at breaking the information down to show us the technique and why we do what we do.

I also do not what to quit Kenpo, that’s not why I am putting this to paper or well a screen. I just also don’t want to be somewhat forced out. I feel like I am getting behind the class with no why to catch up. I guess if anyone took the time to read this I would love to see what your thoughts are. Did you feel this way in the beginning? If you did, how did you catch up? How can I get back on track and internalize Kenpo? Does it slow down a little later on in the higher ranks? Am I just going through what all new students of Kenpo seem to experience? I guess I should just post this and see what my brothers and sisters in Kenpo have to say.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I study tracy kenpo, but they are very similar. I have also felt in the past that there was simply too much information coming it at me and that my head was going to explode - in fact, I started to back track a bit - techniques that I had known in the past rock solid were suddenly getting blurry, I was trying to remember so many things at once that the opposite was happening - I could remember nothing at all.

The first thing I did was take a private lesson with my instructor where we did NO new material - only reiterate and practice things that I was forgetting. I also began writing down the techniques so I could practice at home - I still write down all my techniques and I believe it is the one most helpful thing I could have done - I keep them all in a word document that I can edit if need be.

Really getting back on track for me was more of a mind thing than a 'practice practice practice' thing. mentally take a step back. dont get stressed out, it will make the problem worse.

The first thing to do is talk to your instructor about all of this and see where it goes from there.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't put so much pressure on yourself. Take your time and practice when you can. It's not a race. Work the basics a lot and do the more advanced stuff as time allows. Go at your own pace. There really shouldn't be a "class" pace unless you are imposing it on yourself. Every school I've seen encourages students to go at their own pace and learn at a rate comfortable to them. Relax and enjoy yourself, the material will come. Make sure you understand why the technique or form flows like it does, that will make the material easier to hold on to than just memorizing a sequence of movements.
Like I said, relax a little and don't worry so much about "keeping up" or making a test. The material is the important part, not how fast you get there or if you go at the same rate as other people. You'll pick it up slower than some and faster than others. Not a big deal. Give youself a break.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I study shaolin kempo and the same comments have come up. There is a tremendous amount of material. What helped me is to realize i am on my own timetable. It is about getting good...not getting rank. The other thing is that i am in this for life, so there is no rush, no deadline b/c each day i get up and train.

Respectfully,

Marlon

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Great reply Sam rep points coming your way.

One other way you could help yourself is get together with someoneclose to your rank outside of class and compare notes and start banging on each other this will help solidify what you already know. Also take yourself out of the studio element. When you practice with your friend don't wear a gi and practice somewhere like a backyard or a park. Also do alot of talking discusing the technique while your doing it.

V/R

Rick English

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
2004hemi, I am wondering ... is your dojo on a periodic schedule, i.e. you train in 2-3 month sessions? or are you on a continuous study program?

My first art was Kenpo and I was also overwhelmed at first with all the material - names of techniques, stances, it was a lot of information to pack in. And truthfully, even when I started a new art with numbers for techniques rather than names, there was STILL so much information to pack in.

One thing you might want to keep in mind is that over time, your brain will be more pliable and you'll be able to take in more.

TALK TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR and tell him/her what you're going through and see if they have specific feedback for you. They need to know where you are in your head - don't keep that from them when it comes to your learning process.

If you have an option between session study and continuous learning, consider the latter if you find your quality of life is suffering or you're investing too much time in Kenpo and not enough in other areas,

Good luck!

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
work (really WORK) your Short-1, your stances and your basics.

forget about all the names. your techniques will fall into place, since they are simply the application of stances and basics in response to a given catalyst. do only a few at a time, slowly, with a compliant partner to get a good feeling for what is going on... then gradually have your partner increase resistance. next day pick a couple more and do the same.

most of all... don't worry too much. frustration only leads to anger (yang) or depression (yin).

enjoy your training! you'll retain more and improve, at the rate you are supposed to.

pete

RaysOnAwaV

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Pete. Really work your short form 1. Pay attention to your toe heel alignment in your stance, work your block and make sure you keep your head level.

I tend to train on how I am feeling. There are some days I come into the studio and I don't feel like banging out techniques so I will work form. On other days I will feel like doing techniques or job sparring.

Don't be to concerned about the over all material. I would just concentrate on what your instr. is teaching that day and to make sure you are going it a 110%. Remember it's not practice that makes you better, but perfect practice.

Till this day I still have to refer to the book for technique names. I feel it's not the name that is important but the movement.

Keep training hard and all of your hard work and dedication will pay off.

Salute,

Ray

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
The way you feel is not that uncommon for new beginners in American Kenpo. Our art has so much information, that it can, especially in the beginner stages, feel overwhelming.

I would suggest that you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Have fun and keep an open mind while learning. You can get this stuff, but like anything, it takes time.

It won't be long before you know a LOT MORE techniques, and before you know it, you will breeze through some of the beginner techniques that you are currently having a difficulty with.

Since there are obviously way more techniques than there are forms or sets, I would suggest going through each technique that you know at least five times straight each time you are practicing by yourself so you can get used to the muscle memory. It will help a lot, trust me, when you have to replicate the motions on a live partner.

Good luck in your training.

You chose the right system in American Kenpo...there's none like it.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
I’m not sure what the real point of this post is other than to put it down on paper and let the world see it. Or maybe to just vent, or even to see if others out there feel as I do or did feel this way at this stage of training. I am still new in American Kenpo and let me first say I love it. But I am to a point that I feel very overwhelmed, confused, frustrated, and sometimes just plain lost.

I have only been in Kenpo close to five months now. In that short time I have reached yellow belt, the 2nd belt in our system and hope to reach advanced yellow belt next month. In these last five months I have been exposed to a lot of new information. And some, that just got very rusty. Such as Front snap, roundhouse, thrusting front snap, thrusting side kick, back kick and others. So I am doing what I can to get up to speed and have correct form with the kicks but also I am being bombarded with new information every week. Things like GRIP OF DEATH, OBSCURE WING, THRUSTING SALUTE, RAINING CLAW, CROSSING TALON, LOCKING HORNS, DELAYED SWORD, DEFLECTING HAMMER, CAPTURED TWIGS, THE GRASP OF DEATH, SCRAPING HOOF, SHIELDING HAMMER, CRASHING WINGS, and CIRCLING WING. Then you add the pressure of Short Form one, Coordination set, blocking set one, and the Kenpo Salute. And now we get to Right Neutral bow, Left Neutral bow, Cat stance, 45 Cat stances. Dang I feel like my head is about to explode.

To make things worse I have been sick for the last two weeks. I also have been battling an abscess tooth. During this time I ended up missing 3 classes, not in a row but over two weeks. So I am short a few techniques in my list that I will be tested over. As much as I am impressed with Kenpo and what those that have been in Kenpo for a little longer than I have can do, I wonder if I picked the wrong style. I have a MOUNTAIN of stuff to learn and before I can get good at one tech I have two or three more to contend with. I am very, very impressed with my instructor. His skill is amazing and as an instructor he is very good at breaking the information down to show us the technique and why we do what we do.

I also do not what to quit Kenpo, that’s not why I am putting this to paper or well a screen. I just also don’t want to be somewhat forced out. I feel like I am getting behind the class with no why to catch up. I guess if anyone took the time to read this I would love to see what your thoughts are. Did you feel this way in the beginning? If you did, how did you catch up? How can I get back on track and internalize Kenpo? Does it slow down a little later on in the higher ranks? Am I just going through what all new students of Kenpo seem to experience? I guess I should just post this and see what my brothers and sisters in Kenpo have to say.

Looks like you've got some great replies here. First and foremost, and I know its easier said than done, but relax!!! :) There is a ton of material and it is very easy to get frustrated. Don't worry about how fast everyone else is picking up the material, go at your own pace. I'd rather take a little longer and get the material down, than advance if you're not ready, and continue to be frustrated with both the old material and the new.

Samantha made a great point about the private lessons. This will allow you that 1 on 1 attention to focus on anything you need to work on. In addition, you might want to talk about this with your instructor. He/she might be able to offer you some suggestions.

Good luck and keep training hard!!! :supcool:

Mike

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
First I wanted to thank everyone that left comments. Forgive me if I cut and paste parts of what everyone wrote in this response but that way I can answer all the questions and ask some others that I have now after some of the responses left.

“I started to back track a bit - techniques that I had known in the past rock solid were suddenly getting blurry, I was trying to remember so many things at once that the opposite was happening - I could remember nothing at all.”

That’s exactly how I feel and what I seem to be going through. Things as easy as Delayed Sword I have to stop and think about it for a second.

As for taking a private lesson with my instructor, he charges $30 for a half hour and I am a little strapped after I pay for the class at $110 per month. Then every other month I have a belt test fee of $35 the first year then I bought the school book of techniques that was $30 a school shirt at $20 sparing pads $150. Then this weekend we have a Kenpo stix class that is $50 oh and the first three books Infinite insights of Kenpo at $20 each. If I spend too much more the wife is going to kill me.

“There really shouldn't be a "class" pace unless you are imposing it on yourself”

Well that part is kind of tricky we have semesters. I started in the 5th semester of eight in a year. I may be imposing a class pace but we do seem to move along as a class at the same pace. I started with a white then after 2 months (a block) I tested with the rest of the class. I was promoted to Advanced white and everyone that passed the test moved up one rank. In our school after a year you should be testing for Purple belt. If you pass and receive your Purple belt you move into phase 2 of 4. At phase 2 you wear a Red GI then year 3 or Red belt wear a Blue Gi and so on to the 4th year you wear a Black Gi and a provisional black belt. Half brown and half black, I guess this kind of builds pressure to stay up with the class or you will be left behind. I know it’s not a race but it would be embarrassing to fail say two tests in a row and be stuck in phase one for a year and a half as others that were in your class move up and keep going.

“TALK TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR and tell him/her what you're going through and see if they have specific feedback for you”. Last night after class I told my instructor what was on my mind and the he told me a story of one of his students that is now a black belt. The moral of his story was that I should take a tech and work on that one for about an hour. Then the next day work that same tech for about 30 min then take another and work both. That is good info but not was I was looking for.

Then the last thing I wanted to add was that I have a book that spells out the techs in great detail. But I am just not one of those that can read and learn the tech. Heck I could read a book 20 times and then still not be able to tell you what I just read. (It’s a curse) I am very much a hands on type person.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
a sponge can soak up ony so much water~ put the II books and tech manuals away for now... consider those investments for later.

when you have time for solo practice: work your forms, stances, and basics.

when you have the benefit of a training partner, work the techniques as your instructor advises. sorry its not what you were looking for, but it sounds like what you need to do.

if posible, work with a training partner more advanced than you. this way, rather than trying to read the tech descriptions, he can guide you through experience. kenpo was not intended to be learned from books, although they can serve as a good reference later.

pete

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well that part is kind of tricky we have semesters. I started in the 5th semester of eight in a year. I may be imposing a class pace but we do seem to move along as a class at the same pace. I started with a white then after 2 months (a block) I tested with the rest of the class. I was promoted to Advanced white and everyone that passed the test moved up one rank. In our school after a year you should be testing for Purple belt. If you pass and receive your Purple belt you move into phase 2 of 4. At phase 2 you wear a Red GI then year 3 or Red belt wear a Blue Gi and so on to the 4th year you wear a Black Gi and a provisional black belt. Half brown and half black, I guess this kind of builds pressure to stay up with the class or you will be left behind.

Yeeow, I'm glad our school doesn't use that system of training/advancement, it sounds.... impersonal.

Lamont

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Don't worry about how fast everyone else is picking up the material, go at your own pace. I'd rather take a little longer and get the material down, than advance if you're not ready, and continue to be frustrated with both the old material and the new. Good luck and keep training hard!!! :supcool:-Mike
I agree with this wholeheartedly. 2004hemi, all of us have been there & it can get overwhelming. Although I'm not an instructor, IMHO the most important thing is how well you learn & internalize the material. It's not a race to Black Belt & no one else can do it for you, but your instructor & fellow students are there to help. If private lessons are not an option right now, I would suggest that you get a workout partner; talk to one of your classmates & arrange times to practice together outside of class. I would also suggest that you break apart the amount of material into manageable pieces, & only practice a few techniques or just one form & one set per night (for example: 3 Yellow Belts techs one night, then Blocking Set & Short Form 1 the next night; stances one night, then blocks & parries the next, etc).

Good Luck & please let us know how it goes.
:asian:

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
2004hemi said:
Well that part is kind of tricky we have semesters. I started in the 5th semester of eight in a year. I may be imposing a class pace but we do seem to move along as a class at the same pace. I started with a white then after 2 months (a block) I tested with the rest of the class. I was promoted to Advanced white and everyone that passed the test moved up one rank. In our school after a year you should be testing for Purple belt. If you pass and receive your Purple belt you move into phase 2 of 4. At phase 2 you wear a Red GI then year 3 or Red belt wear a Blue Gi and so on to the 4th year you wear a Black Gi and a provisional black belt. Half brown and half black, I guess this kind of builds pressure to stay up with the class or you will be left behind. I know it’s not a race but it would be embarrassing to fail say two tests in a row and be stuck in phase one for a year and a half as others that were in your class move up and keep going.
That's a different set up, is this through a college or university?
As for the embarrassing aspect: It would be far more embarrassing to be a poor BB than it would be to move at a slower pace and be a great green belt (or whatever) and a skilled BB at a later time. Compare yourself only to you, as long as you are getting better it doesn't matter if others go faster (or slower). I hate the whole idea of promoting with any time-table involved.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
That's a different set up, is this through a college or university?
As for the embarrassing aspect: It would be far more embarrassing to be a poor BB than it would be to move at a slower pace and be a great green belt (or whatever) and a skilled BB at a later time. Compare yourself only to you, as long as you are getting better it doesn't matter if others go faster (or slower). I hate the whole idea of promoting with any time-table involved.
Pretty much what I was thinking, for myself I would much rather be a skilled white belt than an unskilled black belt.
I too am a pretty slow learner, and in some schools I would have been expected to be looking at black belt by now, but by taking things at my pace I feel that I get a better grip on them.

OP
hemi

hemi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No our school is not associated with a collage or university. The school is privately owned and operated. I think I may be over thinking the pace that the class moves at. I also agree with what a few people have said I do not want to move to fast and miss most of what I am here to learn. I also would not want to continue to be unskilled at martial arts even after a few years of training. I am going to slow down and try not to compare myself and my progress to every one else in my class. It was said that this is a life long endeavor and not a sprint. I feel the same way and think if I can just slow down and work on a little at a time I will get to where I want to be.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
2004hemi said:

I also do not (want) to quit Kenpo, I just also don’t want to be somewhat forced out.

If you don't want to quit Kenpo, then by all means Don't.
Who says you need to have any kind of a time limit on improving as a martial artist. Goals are good, they are really important, but unless theres a certain date set with a "Pass or Fail by THIS date" requirement on it.......then take it easy. Like my instructor told me, eat this cake ONE bite at a time.

For me, there came a breaking point. Once you get accustomed to the basic techniques/sets/forms.... learning more is much easier. Once you get these basics down sufficiently then they act as a sort of reference for many others.
Hard to explain, and I'm a little sleepy just yet... but trust me, it gets easier.
Time limits are SYNTHETIC, man made...... do away with them and just keep your eye on progress, regardless of time.

Making the continual progress isn't easy, but neither should it be. Think about it, what do you really want to attain in gaining higher rank? Is it the belt? I could give you mine, I've got more than one and can buy more.
No, it's not the belt. It's the growth as a person that you'd like the most, growth in ability, knowledge, confidence, focus, self-discipline........etc. etc. These are the worthwhile things that training in your art can get you too. But there is no "Ten easy lessons to a better you". There will be obstacles, and nagging problems. It happens.
BUT: It's worth it.
It's ALL very worth it.

so keep going, eat that cake one bite at a time, one day at a time....and tomarrow will take care of itself.

Your Brother
John

PS: OH yeah, NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER compare your progress to ANYONE elses. Not a fair comparison. We are all on our own paths and it's not a competition.

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
2004hemi said:

As for taking a private lesson with my instructor, he charges $30 for a half hour and I am a little strapped after I pay for the class at $110 per month. Then every other month I have a belt test fee of $35 the first year then I bought the school book of techniques that was $30 a school shirt at $20 sparing pads $150. Then this weekend we have a Kenpo stix class that is $50 oh and the first three books Infinite insights of Kenpo at $20 each. If I spend too much more the wife is going to kill me.

I started with a white then after 2 months (a block) I tested with the rest of the class. I was promoted to Advanced white and everyone that passed the test moved up one rank. In our school after a year you should be testing for Purple belt. If you pass and receive your Purple belt you move into phase 2 of 4. At phase 2 you wear a Red GI then year 3 or Red belt wear a Blue Gi and so on to the 4th year you wear a Black Gi and a provisional black belt. Half brown and half black, I guess this kind of builds pressure to stay up with the class or you will be left behind. I know it’s not a race but it would be embarrassing to fail say two tests in a row and be stuck in phase one for a year and a half as others that were in your class move up and keep going.
Is it pretty much mandatory that you test every two months for the first year so that you are a Purple Belt by the end of year 1? Does this not depend on how often you attend class and train?

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

O

OC Kid

Just enjoy it.
I know that sounds very simplistic but Its like when I bought my first house. The stress of it all, dealing with the seller, the realtors get involved dont tell ya anything then escrow and financing ect and not to mention moiuntains of paperwork you have to sign... I was all stressed out and my realtor told me...."Just enjoy it" I thought about it and he was right. It is a experiance. its all how you handle it.

First you have to ask yourself Why do you want to learn Kempo?
What are the benefits of that particular art?
Are you having fun?
Do you like the other students in the class and have good comeraderie?

It seems like your learning curve is very steep right now. But it will start to plateau.
That plateau is why most student quit and go on to another style or quit the arts all together. Because you will feel you are not learning anything new.

So my advice is to take your time enjoy it, have fun and learn all the good things that you chose that art for.

It will be soon enough when you reach the plateau and start thinking your not learning anything new..
Then Ill be telling you its time to slow down and learn to perfect the art.

Good luck.
We all been through this, its a normal reaction to a new experiance.

Latest Discussions