Need help with streching and speed

Trax

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this web site. I am 44 and about 230lbs. I starting training in Koei Kan with my 12 year old son. I would like to know what I can do to increase my flexibilty and my speed. I would like to be able to stay up with my son when we sparr.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

I'm afraid there's no magic bullet to conquer the twin foes fo flexibility and speed...diet and excercise are where it's at.

for felxibility, you need to have a smart stretching routine that you do. check out the Helath and fitness section for good resources and advice on that. Speed comes from increasing your strength and maintaining a healthy weight (I'm about yout same side). Strength training with some intense anaerobic cardio activity (sprints, jump rope, etc) are gtood for that...along with eatign the sorts of thigns that will fuel your body and prepare it for training.

Again, lots of good resources in the health and fitness section.

Most of all, enjoy your training. :)

Peace,
Erik

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome and enjoy the site.

The best thing is slowly let your body control the strecthing until it is ready and then go all out!!
icon14.gif
Serious it just takes time and effort and one day you will get there.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Howdy, and welcome.
There is no silver bullet for stretching. The only way to gain flexibility is to stretch several times per week, and persevere. It will take months before you see the results.

I do light stretching every day, and it is going slow.
After a couple of months, I feel the difference, but there is still a lot of work to do. I hope to one day be able to do a side split, but for now I am not even closer. I am improving though.

In some directions I am much more flexible. I used to be able to bend over and put my hands flat on the ground. Now I have room left to bend my elbows, and I can touch my knees with my nose.

Don't give up, and eventually you will have success.
Also note that not everybody is built the same way, and as a result may not get the same result. It is possible I will never ever make it to side split. But I can improve what I have.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What they said. :)

It just takes a while. You have to stretch frequently and effectively. Make sure your muscles are a little warm before you start stretching--it really helps. Talk to your instructor about a daily regimen.

Strength really does increase speed, but doing a million reps of a technique (properly, of course) will also help you get faster. It's extremely difficult to do a technique fast if it still feels foreign to you, so practice your butt off.

All that being said, you can only develop speed and flexibility within the parameters that your body will allow, and everybody's body is different. I will probably never be able to do a side split (though I get darn close), but I can still kick well over my head. It's just the way my legs are attached. You have to work toward your ideal, but keep your own body mechanics in mind.

When all else fails, remember, even if your son is younger and faster, you are older and smarter (and probably meaner.) Have fun!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
When all else fails, remember, even if your son is younger and faster, you are older and smarter (and probably meaner.) Have fun!

Not to mention that you have the power to ground him :D

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

You've gotten great advice so far. I really can't add anything except to encourage you to take it slowly & to be consistent in training.

All my best!

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to MT :). I have nothing to add to the advice you've been given, slow and steady will keep you in the race much longer.