Need Help Identifing Japanese Characters on Sword

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Friend of mine got this sword for free. We would like to know what it says. We believe it came over to the US from a soldier after/during WWII. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Copy and Paste Link (minus quotes) to see pictures

"http://www.hombu.org/Images/swordpic1.jpg"
"http://www.hombu.org/Images/swordpic2.jpg"

(Did it that way because host does not allow direct linking and pictures would not go into post)

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I got them to work.

Attachments

• $swordpic1.jpg
    $swordpic1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 447
  • $swordpic2.jpg
    $swordpic2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 464

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The top one is a date... can't quite make it out, but it's the 18th of -- month. The bottom one is upside down, and I don't recognize the characters.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I cannot help you with your translation. However, I would suggest a couple of things that can help you out. First, take a couple of clear pictures of the entire sword. Next, take a couple of clear pictures of the kanji running up and down rather than on its side. Down is the proper direction to read kanji. Finally, take your new pictures and ask for help on the Nihonto message board. Thay have a forum specifically devoted to translation help.

http://www.nihontomessageboard.com/

Good luck!

OP
BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Mr Sullivan for getting pictures up. Thank Mr Parker for you help. And thank you Mr Paul (Smith) for your suggestions.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You're very welcome. If you get it translated, please provide a link or update your thread with the results for our curiosity.

Kennesten

White Belt
Reaction score
BlueDragon,

Is there an additional character not captured in the first ("x15") photo? By the orientation of the photo, it will be further to the right. Those will be the ones indicating the era (18th year of X era, probably April).

OP
BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Still working on this. I will let you know if I get it translated what it is. Need to take more pictures but I haven't been back to take more. Will try to pics of whole sword. Its not a fancy sword. That's why I'm thinking it was from a non commissioned officer in WWII, however I'm not well versed in swords. So I could be completely off target.

Meitetsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Looks like it might be 18th year on the top one and there seems to be the kanji for fish 魚on the bottom one