Need help deciding on an art

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
Really, it comes down to what peaks your interest and what your motivation is. All arts if taken as concept compliment each other. Hand & feet arts are a great entry into judo and judo is a great entry into BJJ, if you get my drift.
If I chose wtf tkd would 2 1/2 years worth translate over to ITF tkd when I relocate in two years? Or should I learn judo for two years and wait to start Taekwondo when I move and have ITF available?

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
This whole thread seems like a big algebra assignment. I guess I'll weigh in.

How do you know you are going to be moving in 2 years? I'm still not sure what I'm cooking for dinner tomorrow.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’m a 36 year old adult who is wanting to get back into martial arts. I’m 6’4” around 205lbs with no history of serious injuries. I have two options to choose from. Judo or WTF Taekwondo. The judo place is 6 miles away and the Taekwondo place is less than a mile. Both are non profit and community ran at around $40 a month. Both train on Tuesday and Thursday from 6:30-8pm. Judo is all adults and ran by a 5th Dan. The Taekwondo place is adults mixed with kids at a middle school gymnasium. Which should I choose?
Take the judo class, especially if you played football. Your measurements are well suited for it.

"Middle school gymnasium", I guess so if you are truly desperate.

$40 a month is so cheap, I would make sure you check out the credentials of the 5th Dan, but maybe he's fallen on hard times. If I were a 5th Dan (and I'm NOT), I'd charge 3x that.

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
This whole thread seems like a big algebra assignment. I guess I'll weigh in.

How do you know you are going to be moving in 2 years? I'm still not sure what I'm cooking for dinner tomorrow.
Because I’m building a house

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
Take the judo class, especially if you played football. Your measurements are well suited for it.

"Middle school gymnasium", I guess so if you are truly desperate.

$40 a month is so cheap, I would make sure you check out the credentials of the 5th Dan, but maybe he's fallen on hard times. If I were a 5th Dan (and I'm NOT), I'd charge 3x that.
The Judo dojo is a homemade built full dojo in the 5th dans backyard. It’s a registered club under the USJF. The head instructor has trained multiple times in Japan and competed in the world kata tournament. He’s been training since the 1980’s. His club has like 10 adults so it’s small. $120 quarterly. The TKD is tan by a 7 Dan who was a Korean national champion and in the military. His program is ran by him and one of his black belt students who received his first Dan in 2008. They have been training at this middle school via seasonal term for over 20 years.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Judo dojo is a homemade built full dojo in the 5th dans backyard. It’s a registered club under the USJF. The head instructor has trained multiple times in Japan and competed in the world kata tournament. He’s been training since the 1980’s. His club has like 10 adults so it’s small. $120 quarterly. The TKD is tan by a 7 Dan who was a Korean national champion and in the military. His program is ran by him and one of his black belt students who received his first Dan in 2008. They have been training at this middle school via seasonal term for over 20 years.
They both sound very qualified from what you report.

Meditate upon which you’ll try first… for an hour or so each day, as your sitting in your box splits position (hint, hint).

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
They both sound very qualified from what you report.

Meditate upon which you’ll try first… for an hour or so each day, as your sitting in your box splits position (hint, hint).
The Taekwondo term doesn’t begin till Jan 4th 2024 (Winter term) I’m going into the judo club tomorrow night to check out a class. I guess then I’ll decide. If I like the Judo class then I’ll chose Judo before Jan. 4. I think it will also give me an exposure to grappling for two years. When I move I can decide if I wanna pursue ITF Taekwon-do or bjj instead because both those arts will be available to me when I relocate. Judo would go nicely into bjj for me. If I chose WTF tkd instead of Judo where I’m currently at before I move in two years, would my two years of wtf skills translate well into ITF Taekwondo when I relocate? Or should I just do judo and start fresh in ITF tkd when I move? I won’t have judo when I move so I think it would be nice to get two years of Judo experience while I can

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
The Taekwondo term doesn’t begin till Jan 4th 2024 (Winter term) I’m going into the judo club tomorrow night to check out a class. I guess then I’ll decide. If I like the Judo class then I’ll chose Judo before Jan. 4. I think it will also give me an exposure to grappling for two years. When I move I can decide if I wanna pursue ITF Taekwon-do or bjj instead because both those arts will be available to me when I relocate. Judo would go nicely into bjj for me. If I chose WTF tkd instead of Judo where I’m currently at before I move in two years, would my two years of wtf skills translate well into ITF Taekwondo when I relocate? Or should I just do judo and start fresh in ITF tkd when I move? I won’t have judo when I move so I think it would be nice to get two years of Judo experience while I can
Also after doing Judo for two years I may really like grappling and could just go straight into bjj when I move.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to point out that KrispyIntentions is having you all on. Do a search. He's asked the same question multiple times, and has indicated that he's come up with different solutions in most of them. He adds additional parameters to keep the discussion going. This is a troll.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah where I’m currently at for the next two years I have TKD, Judo, and BJJ all with 5 miles radius from me. When I relocate in two years I have bjj, ITF TKD and no Judo to pick from. Those are basically my options. I’m 6’4” decent athlete 36 years old.
That’s too bad, maybe you can travel once a month further if work and time permits

OP
K

KrispyIntensions

White Belt
Reaction score
That’s too bad, maybe you can travel once a month further if work and time permits
That’s the plan. I’m only moving about 50 minutes away. I could def come back a couple times a month to further my judo training while I either stick to bjj, or ITF TKD in my new area. I’m most likely going to go with judo for the next two years where I am currently. I’m checking out a class tomorrow night. If I like it I’ll be on the mats training by Thursday

Latest Discussions