Native American Fighting Arts

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
definitely, man. Although roman's stuff is only half current (passed down, anyway) he shows a lot of grappling. As a native, with many native family members, I am familiar that the native ams loved to grapple. headlocks and toeholds are the common. side mount (for pinning) is also very common. and yes, natives love a good fight. I know I do.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stanley neptune said:
There is a big ad in the current issue of Black Belt from a guy who teaches Apache fighting.

I don't know the whole thing looks a little suspect to me. Chief Roman looks kinf of kookie.

I think he teaches "Tonto-jitsu"!!

Stanley Neptune
"Tonto-jitsu"..Very well said.

OP
Samurai

Samurai

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
In the new December 2004 issue of Black Belt magazine their is an article about "Chief" Adrian Roman and his knife fighting. The article was not very well done and the techniques looked very......basic.

I was not too impressed with the stuff I saw in that article.
Thanks,
Jeremy Bays

Woodland Archery

F

FDVargas0351

Bald Bob said:
I am sure that Mr. Redfeather is a fine man. I have seen one of his videos and found it much like other knife fighting videos with the same conventions (knife side up fighting, etc.) I suggest you look into the knife fighting arts of Grandmaster Adrian Roman. I think you will find a different approach and one you might like even better. When we test standard knife techniques against GM Roman's we find the latter superior. I join with you in saying that people who have never seen a teacher's work should not condemn it based on their speculation.

I have purchased Roman's program and with all respect there is no knife fighting presented. It is merely a series of prearranged knife defenses. I was disappointed with this material. Roman actually takes a knife away from his attacker with one hand. I seriously doubt that anyone would be able to do that on a conscious attacker. Disarming a knife is like trying to grab a propeller blade on a helicopter.

If you have had luck with the material, and it works for you thats great. I can only recommend that you preassure test roman's and any material for that matter. Do it as clos to full speed and full contact with as much resistance from the attacker as possible.

Latest Discussions