Western Arts?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are there any Western martial arts one would describe as internal (unless one feels the term only applies to Chinese systems)? I can almost see it in some fencing styles, for example.

C

chufeng

I think that the term can apply to most anything...
I know boxers who can intuit a punch and "beat the guy to the punch" due to that "feeling." Other boxers who are fast and react to something they see...and others who have to set things up because they are slower...

:asian:
chufeng

M

MartialArtist

I don't know if one is almost completely internal, but internal principles can be found in many arts like wrestling.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
I think that the term can apply to most anything...
I know boxers who can intuit a punch and "beat the guy to the punch" due to that "feeling." Other boxers who are fast and react to something they see...and others who have to set things up because they are slower...

chufeng

That is called Perception Speed Conditioning. This is the first time I have heard it been labelled as "internal"

C

chufeng

Ken,

I would agree with that term used to describe the second example...but what of the first? The boxer feels the attack before the attack actually happens...that is something we train to develop in YiLi...I know only a few people who have this ability "naturally." I know several who have developed it with thier training.

One of the other aspaects of internal boxing is that of Yi, or intent, many boxers aim for a point on the jaw and go for it, or a point on the body and go for it...but successful boxers aim past the point...this lends an incredible amount of penetration to the blow when it actually lands...

chufeng

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng
Ken,

I would agree with that term used to describe the second example...but what of the first? The boxer feels the attack before the attack actually happens...that is something we train to develop in YiLi...I know only a few people who have this ability "naturally." I know several who have developed it with thier training.

One of the other aspaects of internal boxing is that of Yi, or intent, many boxers aim for a point on the jaw and go for it, or a point on the body and go for it...but successful boxers aim past the point...this lends an incredible amount of penetration to the blow when it actually lands...

chufeng

Mr. Hachey,

What you are referring to is the good 'ol intuition. Professional fighters tend to develop this "feel" to sense an attack is imminent. There isn't exactly one specific description of it. Some experienced fighters just sense it and they cannot explain it. The more logical explaination I have come across is when some one is about to initiate an attack, he tends to send off cue via his eyes, his facial muscle movement, tightening of his limbs' muscle etc. I have read about advice to watch the opponent's eyes for attack signals, and I have also read about advice to watch the opponent's trunk as all movements initiate from the trunk.

The second part of your post refers to how to deliver maximum strike effect. It is a rather well known technique to aim for penetrating strikes at targets a few inches deeper than the surface. You can come across it mentioned in various martial arts. I don't mean this to imply the disrespectful wiseass attitude of "yeah we know". Just sharing the facts here, respectfully.

Kenneth

C

chufeng

is the good 'ol intuition

How do you measure THAT?

But seriously, I fully agree with your post...
Another possible explanation is that the boxer has learned to react to the movement of the opponent's qi...
And, HOW do you teach THAT to someone?
My teacher figured out a way...and it comes from internal boxing...

chufeng

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have discovered a method to sense, detect, your opponent's qi or in this specific situation, the intent to attack, that would be considered an extraordinary sensory perception. I don't mean ESP in a bull crap sense. If you can sense and detect what is in someone's mind, you are tracking beyond the boundary of both our current state of knowledge in this area, as well as what is known as humanly possible. It would be considered an evolutionary breakthrough. The implication would be world shattering.

Seriously, coming from another person, I would not have considered this a productive or serious communication.

I believe I speak for everyone that we are eager to be enlightened about this internal boxing of Yiliquan.

T

Taiji fan

What you are referring to is the good 'ol intuition. Professional fighters tend to develop this "feel" to sense an attack is imminent. There isn't exactly one specific description of it. Some experienced fighters just sense it and they cannot explain it. The more logical explaination I have come across is when some one is about to initiate an attack, he tends to send off cue via his eyes, his facial muscle movement, tightening of his limbs' muscle etc. I have read about advice to watch the opponent's eyes for attack signals, and I have also read about advice to watch the opponent's trunk as all movements initiate from the trunk
all sounds pretty 'internal' to me, reading cues in the body, moving from the trunk........being relaxed enough to react faster.....:)

W

westernwarrior

In 15th century German combat, the concept of "Fulhen" or feeling is referred to. When combatants cross swords, you are supposed to be able to feel if he is "strong or weak" or if he is exerting pressure on your blade. Your blade position and wheather your opponent is strong or weak determines what you do to defeat him. But my knowledge of Internal Chinese arts is very small, so that may not relate to anything.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by westernwarrior
In 15th century German combat, the concept of "Fulhen" or feeling is referred to. When combatants cross swords, you are supposed to be able to feel if he is "strong or weak" or if he is exerting pressure on your blade. Your blade position and wheather your opponent is strong or weak determines what you do to defeat him. But my knowledge of Internal Chinese arts is very small, so that may not relate to anything.

That's very similar to T'ai Chi sword (jian) fencing.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

Latest Discussions