National TKD Tournament

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
This past weekend in my city was a National TKD tournament to qualify the Mexican TKD Team. The friday was poomsae competition and saturday and sunday were kyorugi competition. I went on sunday to see the semifinals and finals.

I have the oportunity to get a picture with the Beijin 2008 Gold Medal Guillermo "MEMO" Perez a very humble guy.

I saw good matches, the women were fierce I have to say,what really caught my eye was the kicking, almost all the kicks performed were roundhouse kicks to the hogu, I can say 9 of every 10 kicks were the roundhouse kick to the hogu and the other two kicks rarely used were the ax kick to the face and the back kick to the hogu and that's all.

No elctronic hogus this time, the corner referres used the red and blue electronic pistols to award points and the cases were a good head kick was used the central judge awarded one point more.

It was a nice evening that I had alone (no girls no wife) chating with TKD friends and sambunims and seeing the matches.

Manny

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
This past weekend in my city was a National TKD tournament to qualify the Mexican TKD Team. The friday was poomsae competition and saturday and sunday were kyorugi competition. I went on sunday to see the semifinals and finals.

I have the oportunity to get a picture with the Beijin 2008 Gold Medal Guillermo "MEMO" Perez a very humble guy.

I saw good matches, the women were fierce I have to say,what really caught my eye was the kicking, almost all the kicks performed were roundhouse kicks to the hogu, I can say 9 of every 10 kicks were the roundhouse kick to the hogu and the other two kicks rarely used were the ax kick to the face and the back kick to the hogu and that's all.

No elctronic hogus this time, the corner referres used the red and blue electronic pistols to award points and the cases were a good head kick was used the central judge awarded one point more.

It was a nice evening that I had alone (no girls no wife) chating with TKD friends and sambunims and seeing the matches.

Manny
That's great Manny; Glad you had a good time.

The reasons that they use round house kicks mostly is because it is the fastest kick that can score on the target areas. So this guys train for this kick mostly. They will do other kicks to setup the round house like push kick or side kick but the round house is the fasted kick they have. Plus the pushing kicks do not score points anyway.

The back kick is a hard kick that is defensive so they use that from time to time to hurt or defend against an attack.

The ax kick is a good kick to score to the face from time to time as it has reach. But I am surprised that you did not see the back spinning kick or spinning hook kick some call it. They use this kick often as well. And with the new rules you should see more spinning round house or spinning kicks as they are worth 2 points now, along with the back kick. Also more attempts to the head as head shots are now 3 point.

The game will get more dynamic with the new rules but will take some time for all the players to adjust.

Fun stuff.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you had fun Manny, so many Olympics players only have that kick. It is the one they practice more times and they feel comfitable with. The new rule changes will have a training period for athletes but it will be fun to watch.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's great Manny; Glad you had a good time.

The reasons that they use round house kicks mostly is because it is the fastest kick that can score on the target areas. So this guys train for this kick mostly. They will do other kicks to setup the round house like push kick or side kick but the round house is the fasted kick they have. Plus the pushing kicks do not score points anyway.

The back kick is a hard kick that is defensive so they use that from time to time to hurt or defend against an attack.

The ax kick is a good kick to score to the face from time to time as it has reach. But I am surprised that you did not see the back spinning kick or spinning hook kick some call it. They use this kick often as well. And with the new rules you should see more spinning round house or spinning kicks as they are worth 2 points now, along with the back kick. Also more attempts to the head as head shots are now 3 point.

The game will get more dynamic with the new rules but will take some time for all the players to adjust.

Fun stuff.

Well I wanted to see those spining hook kicks and the tornados kicks too but they were absent in this competition.

It's true when you say will get more dinamic with more fancy kicking, there were the times at this competition that I felt bored cause only one or two kicks were used.

I have to say I saw maybe 3 or 5 competitors with borken or fisurated foreamrs it seems they were hurt on saturday, some times even the forearm padding is not enough.

Manny