Nascar Cheaters Caught

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
NASCAR finds cheating after Nationwide race

By MIKE HARRIS, AP Auto Racing Writer 8 hours, 14 minutes ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-gibbscheating&prov=ap&type=lgns

BROOKLYN, Mich. (AP)—The No. 18 and No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing teams in the Nationwide Series will likely face big penalties after efforts to alter the results of a chassis dyno test.
NASCAR inspectors, preparing to do tests on horsepower numbers following Saturday’s Nationwide race at Michigan International Speedway, found magnets under the gas pedals on the two Gibbs Toyotas.
Tony Stewart, making his last Nationwide start for the Gibbs team, finished third in the No. 20, and 18-year-old rookie Joey Logano was seventh in the No. 18. The race was won by Carl Edwards in a Ford.
Toyota has won 15 of 25 races this season in Nationwide, and all but one came in a Camry fielded by Gibbs. The exception was JGR driver Kyle Busch’s victory at Charlotte in May in a car fielded by Braun Racing.
In the face of such domination, last month NASCAR ordered the Toyota Nationwide teams to use a smaller spacer to cut about 15 horsepower in their motors.
Now I'm not up on motors or whatever, never took auto-shop in school :idunno: just wasn't my thing ... so I'm at a loss at what magnets under the gas pedal would do, they wanted to cut horse-power or??

Nascar races can bring the greatest number of spectators to any ONE singular sporting event (if you can call driving around and around and around and around a sport :rolleyes: ), but now being caught cheating... it may or may not impact the *ahem* sport but who can tell. It's sad but not surprising, almost like catching athletes using steroids.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea I read it and still do not understand whata magnet does under the gas pedal.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Guessing here, but it could allow them to have a 'max' for speed trials etc, then remove and instant jump of 15 hp? Test car, it's right you're cleared to go, remove magnets (cheat mode enabled).. That kind of thing maybe?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guessing here, but it could allow them to have a 'max' for speed trials etc, then remove and instant jump of 15 hp? Test car, it's right you're cleared to go, remove magnets (cheat mode enabled).. That kind of thing maybe?

I don't get it either, but this is a good deduction. I don't like nascar anyway, I think it's boring. *ducks to avoid smacks upside the head by all the nascar fans*

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't be thrown by the fact that they were magnets. My guess is that that was just the method of attachment. The cheat was to reduce pedal travel thus hiding the true output, as Dave suggested above.

Also, Pam, you are quite correct, NASCAR is not racing as most petrol heads would define it. Still, it keeps certain people amused and brought Danica Patrick into motorsport, so it's not all a waste :D.

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't get it either, but this is a good deduction. I don't like nascar anyway, I think it's boring. *ducks to avoid smacks upside the head by all the nascar fans*

Not big on NASCAR here...I do watch the Daytona 500 mostly for the food my buddy has at his Daytona 500 party. I do enjoy Indy racing and Grand Prix.

I will say that NASCAR has done a helluva job at marketing to get and keep its fanbase.

As far as the magnets, I will as my friend who is big into this to see if he can explain better...and pass it on.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
The magnets were put on after the race for the post race inspections. They were put in place to keep the gas pedal from going all the way down, so that the output of the engines would look lower during the inspection than it was for the races.

Since NASCAR works to keep car performance fairly approximate as a baseline, this would fool officials into thinking that the car were within specs when they were actually generating more HP.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First real drivers turn left and right, and also use their brakes. Many of them do it on two wheels not just four. ;)

BTW: I want a "I am The STIG" T-Shirt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

As to magnets, I would guess that everyone here has it right.
The sensors on the pedal read the voltage resistance of two sensors and compare them to make sure they are both acting correctly. This is part of the Drive by wire safety. Of course race cars could do others methods or be less secure as they are on a closed course and not on public roads. The Magnet in this location should not cause any EMC/RFI issues for the sensors. A magnet in that location would in essence limit the max pedal and thereby limit the torque or horse power (* depending upon what you are measuring *) maximum for the vehicle for a test.

If a team had found a way to squeeze out more HP and not get caught then in the old days this would be considered good engineering or good pit crew work. But in modern times, with making sure money alone does not buy the winning team there are limits to make the whole thing technically possible for anyone on the track to win.

Latest Discussions