Metallica Fans, recommendations?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've never paid much attention to Metallica, but lately I've been running across some of their music on the radio, and I'm kind of digging it.

Any recommendations on some good CDs to start with?

Thanks!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, hands down. Anything from "the Black Album" (self-titled) and earlier is good. Load and Reload are hit and miss, and I only like maybe 3 tracks off St. Anger. Garage Inc (a cover album) and S & M (with the San Francisco Philharmonic) are pretty good as well.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, hands down. Anything from "the Black Album" (self-titled) and earlier is good. Load and Reload are hit and miss, and I only like maybe 3 tracks off St. Anger. Garage Inc (a cover album) and S & M (with the San Francisco Philharmonic) are pretty good as well.

I 2nd these selections!:ultracool

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Agree 99% :)

I would go for the black album first, MoP second :) J

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everything of theirs from the Black Album backward, none of it after.
See, I disagree here. I actually like quite a bit of Load and Reload. And even if you want to play the "Metallica sold out" card, there's heavy stuff like Ain't My *****, 2x4, King Nothing, and Fuel on those two albums. I'm not a big fan of St. Anger, but I do like Frantic, Some Kind of Monster, and the title track. All of the songs sound better on the DVD that came with the album, mainly because they fixed Lars' snare...

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the first reply, but would definetely get PUPPETS and LIGHTNING before everything else.
I've been a fan for 21 years and can honestly say those two are the best albums. You have to listen to Cliff before the others.
I also agree that after the Black album, there's good and bad on the later albums.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you really must listen to second-hand, reconfigured Black Sabbath {:p} then the Black Album is good and the work they did with the orchestra is very good - that is what turned me from a 'hater' to a 'tolerator' :lol:.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Abso;utely on with these selections.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I would have to agree with this. I liked Load maybe more than Kreth did, but when it came out it was a time of my life when some of the lyrics just hit me right.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Essentials: Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, Black. Get ...And Justice For All secondhand just for One.

Kill 'em All has good songs, but if you've heard later Metallica it's hard to listen to because apparently Hetfields balls hadn't dropped yet. He sounds like a yowling high school boy.

I like Load and Reload a lot, but wouldn't consider them representative of the Metallica sound. Can't explain why, they're just... different.

St. Anger... meh.

Binge & Purge: One of the best concert albums ever.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, then And Justice For All. IMHO, what put Metallica strides ahead of other bands of that ilk was Burton, and the band went downhill fast when he died (Burton wrote a lot of the stuff on "Justice," but didn't get the chance to play it :( )

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, then And Justice For All. IMHO, what put Metallica strides ahead of other bands of that ilk was Burton, and the band went downhill fast when he died (Burton wrote a lot of the stuff on "Justice," but didn't get the chance to play it :( )
I'll probably be crucified for this, but Newsted was in the band much longer than Cliff ever was, and he's not exactly shabby. And now they've moved on to Trujillo, a phenomenal player in his own right. If there was ever a weakness in bass, it was caused by Lars' and Hetfield's micromanagement, and they've admitted as much.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll probably be crucified for this, but Newsted was in the band much longer than Cliff ever was, and he's not exactly shabby. And now they've moved on to Trujillo, a phenomenal player in his own right. If there was ever a weakness in bass, it was caused by Lars' and Hetfield's micromanagement, and they've admitted as much.

I agree, Newsted is a good bass player, and yes, Trujillo is great. My point though was that the complexity and epic sound that Metallica used to produce died when Burton's music composition left the table. I mean come on, the tracks on the black album sound like they were written by third graders compared to the brilliant song writing on Puppets.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've never paid much attention to Metallica, but lately I've been running across some of their music on the radio, and I'm kind of digging it.

Any recommendations on some good CDs to start with?

Thanks!

Kill &#8216;Em All
Ride the Lightning
Master of Puppets
Metallica (aka the Black Album)

And of course "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying"&#8230;oops sorry that not Metallica that is from their first lead singer after he got kicked out:D

NOT St Anger

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I agree, Newsted is a good bass player, and yes, Trujillo is great. My point though was that the complexity and epic sound that Metallica used to produce died when Burton's music composition left the table. I mean come on, the tracks on the black album sound like they were written by third graders compared to the brilliant song writing on Puppets.
Hey you.. In what way do you mean songwriting?? Lyrically? Surely you would not be listening to any metal for the complex underlying symbolic allegorical meanings to the lyrics, pffft.. You would get them kicks elsewhere surely?? I think MoP was just too raw.. the production on black for me surpasses anything they have done before or after.. I listen to it because it does not screech in my aged ears :D J

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Surely you would not be listening to any metal for the complex underlying symbolic allegorical meanings to the lyrics, pffft..
Well, it's not exactly Sk8terboi, but check out lyrics by Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, Tool, Clutch, Corrosion of Conformity, et al...

:uhyeah:

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey you.. In what way do you mean songwriting?? Lyrically? Surely you would not be listening to any metal for the complex underlying symbolic allegorical meanings to the lyrics, pffft.. You would get them kicks elsewhere surely?? I think MoP was just too raw.. the production on black for me surpasses anything they have done before or after.. I listen to it because it does not screech in my aged ears :D J

By songwriting I mean the music, not the lyrics (Hatfield wrote most if not all of the lyrics, if my memory serves me). Burton had a masters degree in music theory and it definitly shows IMO.
Hey, are you knocking my taste in music? ;)
As far as raw vs. "well produced," that's all a matter of personal taste. I think MoP was very well produced. The black album, on the other hand, was too well produced. Made for radio, you might say... :D

Well, it's not exactly Sk8terboi, but check out lyrics by Metallica, Megadeth, Maiden, Tool, Clutch, Corrosion of Conformity, et al...

For the record, I think Tool has amazing lyrics.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

:uhyeah:
By songwriting I mean the music, not the lyrics (Hatfield wrote most if not all of the lyrics, if my memory serves me). Burton had a masters degree in music theory and it definitly shows IMO.
Hey, are you knocking my taste in music? ;)
As far as raw vs. "well produced," that's all a matter of personal taste. I think MoP was very well produced. The black album, on the other hand, was too well produced. Made for radio, you might say... :D

For the record, I think Tool has amazing lyrics.
Actually ok, I think Tool are a slightly different proposition though.. Megadeth (Countdown to Extinction is my only LP) I think lyrically, yeah I can get with that.. but man surely you would agree, metal lyrics are secondary, yes? I do not believe the fury and the power of any decent metal can be relayed properly through any lyrics and so they are just token, right? Hey I am not arguing or anything.. each to his or her own.. anyways I never argue when I am right :D J

Latest Discussions