N. Korea used TKD group to plot murder

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know this should go in the TKD section here at MT, but I feel this is too big to be put in a specific category.

Here is a small piece of the article:
The Korea Times quoted Choi Jung-hwa, son of the late Choi Hong-hi who founded the International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) in 1966, as saying North Korea ordered overseas ITF masters, including himself, to assassinate President Chun Doo Hwan.
"After taking control of the ITF, the North trained spies and sent them overseas, disguising them as taekwondo masters," the Korea Times quoted Choi as telling reporters on his return to South Korea on Monday after living overseas for 34 years.

and here is the link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080909/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_taekwondo_korea?hj

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really to surprising when you understand where the funds for the ITF were coming from.
icon9.gif

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really to surprising when you understand where the funds for the ITF were coming from.
icon9.gif
Not surprising at all when you come to the realization that every nation spies on every other nation to the best of their abilities... regardless of friend or foe status. ;)

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not surprising at all when you come to the realization that every nation spies on every other nation to the best of their abilities... regardless of friend or foe status. ;)

Exactly.

And considering NK was kidnapping Japanese citizens, building nukes (and then saying they were taking them down for $$$, but then saying they lied about that and wanted more $$$), starving 1/4 of their people, and well you get the point.... well North Korea's officials are a real band of nuts so why wouldn't they get spies to infiltrate the ITF!

Deaf

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this is actually old news. Choi, Jung Hwa was convicted by the Canadians of plotting to kill the Korean president. What is new is that he did not act alone but was sponsored by the NK (which has been speculated about for many years).

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is actually old news. Choi, Jung Hwa was convicted by the Canadians of plotting to kill the Korean president. What is new is that he did not act alone but was sponsored by the NK (which has been speculated about for many years).

I agree with Miles - the actual attempt is old news. It is coming out now because Choi, Jung Hwa has (apparently) moved to South Korea, and may be moving his section of the ITF there as well, instead of remaining in Canada.