Uniform Dye?

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have some uniforms with some stains on them. Would it be possible to dye the uniforms white again?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some uniforms with some stains on them. Would it be possible to dye the uniforms white again?
You may be able to bleach them... but if you're not very familiar with bleaching and laundry, you might be better off taking them to a professional cleaner. They'll be more familiar with what's safe to use one which materials. If you use the wrong bleach on some fabrics, you won't have fabric left...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the stains are organic (blood, sweat, grass, etc.) I would suggest OxyClean or something similar. I've also heard from others who have had good luck with vinegar for removing organic stains, although I haven't tried it myself. Whatever you do - use cold water, and don't dry the uniforms in the dryer until the stains come out. I would also suggest letting the uniforms soak in cold water overnight - sometimes it just takes longer than one wash cycle. If none of those work, you could try dry cleaning - but they can't always remove stains either.

The problem with bleaching / dying them is that the stain will still remain - it will just either be faded out (bleach) or covered over (dye), and will create a weak spot in the fabric. You're much better off trying to remove the stain than cover it up.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
thanks guys.

I actually got it out. It was a blood stain.

I didn't know it was in there til I got out my gi.

I soaked the spot in some peroxide and then washed it.

Came right out.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hydrogen peroxide works like a miracle on blood stains.

I don't think there is such a thing as white dye.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hydrogen peroxide works like a miracle on blood stains.

And it is cool to watch it foam up too!

I think it depends what type of fabric your uniform is made from too. I'd do different things for 50/50 cotton/poly versus 12 oz duck canvas.

hogstooth

Green Belt
Reaction score
I use natures miracle to get sweat stains out. You can find it at most pet stores. It is usually used to remove pet stains but it does a really good job on getting out pretty much most stains. Don't use bleach. I have ruined more Gi's with bleach than I care to think about. If you want to use something to whiten them use a color safe bleach. it is easier on the fabric. Bleach will prematurely wear down a Gi. You will notice over time that it gets thin and tears easily. Others may not agree but that is my experience with it.

Latest Discussions