Mystic Guidebook

milosmalic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
RachelK said:
I judge people by what they do, not who they are. By descent I am entirely Slavic but culturally I am American and we are well-known for this attitude.
Yes you are.

RachelK said:
Your ancestors might be the greatest warriors in the world but here in NYC, we want to know, what have you done lately?
According to CNN nothing :)

RachelK said:
I haven't noticed my Russian classmates are any more proficient than the Americans
Are they 'russian' as you are slavic in NYC?

RachelK said:
Individual personality, open-mindedness, and diligence are much greater factors than ethnic heritage.
Yes, but there you count 1, 2 and 3 as some special or rare attributes - and then those are something in very base of slavic customs, domestic education and orthodox christian religion. This is how Systema came to this world. Then, you forgot LOVE. I agree with you on this, I just wanted to explain where is start adventage. This is at the same time why don't you see that adventage with NYC domestic russian students.

RachelK said:
I've never felt as if I have to work harder because I am not Russian.
Same here.

RachelK said:
Maybe we don't have thousands of years of heroics behind us, but heroics are not unique to one culture.
I didn't mean culture related, I ment in your family. In your bloodline.

RachelK said:
As far as the Orthodox beliefs, I have not found this to be a huge advantage in my fellow practioners who happen to be Orthodox. Fighting skill doesn't appear magically when one has the right heritage or adheres to a specific religion.
Next time you see Mikhail Rybko ask him about this.

RachelK said:
I learn from my teachers, who learn from Vlad and Mikhail.
Ok, then you can ask your teachers if they ever heared Mikhail answer to the questions like: "How do I learn this relaxed punch ...." like this: "To do that you have to be good person but mostly only orthodox christian people can do that". (this was not a quote)

RachelK said:
it strikes me as a shame that aspiring students should be taught that they can only go so far because of their ancestry.
NO NO NO, THIS IS NOT WHAT I MENT, PLEASE. What I mean is that people of the same origin as Systema has some adventage and prepareness for things waiting along the way. That is all. Take your time and watch, better systema practicioners the students are, they will be more similar to what I wrote in the list you dislike so much.

RachelK said:
I hate to see this attitude within the Systema community. It seems the very opposite of all I have learned about Systema and its inclusiveness.
Please do not persist in missinterpreting my words. Systema is inclusive, I only gave you the 'tips' where your attention should be.

RachelK said:
I'll continue to believe that Systema can be mastered by anyone.
No it cannot. Not by anyone for sure. It might be mastered by more people than today and some of them might be westerners or far easterners of african by origin.

RachelK said:
*Vsego nailuchshego* (best wishes),
Rachel
Hvala, ako ikad odlucis da posetis Srbiju, vezbas sa nama i obidjes manastire i mesta velikih bitaka - dobro dosao.

Thanx, if you ever decide to visit Serbia, train with us and take a tour to monasteries and places of big battles - you are welcome.

W

WillFightForBeer

Funny Milo, before you'd always come across as intelligent and......well.....open-minded?

Let me present a very simple, bare-boned fact before I pose my opinion on the subject. I am 100%, thoroughbred, "pure-blood" Russian. I have Slavic heritage, blah, blah, blah. So if you were hoping to discount my opinion because of my genes, then I suggest you find another way, as I am genetically equal to you.
I was born in Russia, lived there, speak the language, etc.

I've been surrounded by Russians since birth, so I am more than familiar with their beliefs, opinions, etc.
And I would like to say.......
You are wrong. Thoroughly, 100% wrong.

Martial Arts teachers are just that: Martial Arts teachers. They are not:
Shamans
Religious Leaders
Superheroes
Mentors
Gods
Doctors

They are not, by their martial arts certification, qualified to be ANYTHING but a Martial Arts teacher. I respect Mikhail. I honestly do. But if he told me that in order to learn a punch, I would have to become Russian Orthodox (as preposterous as that sounds in the first place), I would honestly tell him to go ***** himself.
The Russian Orthodox are no "purer" than anyone else, and the concept of having to convert in order to further one's training is ridiculous at best, and participation in the shameless recruiting for a cult at worst.

If someone told you that in order to become a decent banker, you would have to be able to cook a turkey in minutes, would you go ahead and find a recipe, or laugh your *** off?

-Ilya

RachelK

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some of my Russian classmates don't speak English. Large portions of our class are taught in Russian so they can learn, too. They are obviously recently emigrated to the U.S. If they have a natural advantage, it hasn't been apparent. Maybe it takes a few years for this advantage to manifest itself. How long does a Russian stay in the U.S. before the "advantage" wears off, anyway? I want to warn my Russian classmates to get cracking before they become "domestic" Russians and lose this yet-to-be-revealed advantage.

This is the first I've heard that personality, open-mindedness, and diligence are to be found in greater quantities in Slavic culture than anywhere else. Charming though they may be, I never thought of Slavs as having more personality than other cultures. So Slavs are the best, huh? Well, there's something to admire about ethnic pride, to be sure (assuming you are Slavic, I've no idea). I personally don't put much stock in other people's ancestors. I've known very bad people from good and even noble families, and downright heros who are the offspring of criminals. Maybe I am descended from warriors--it was once the pastime of the nobility and some have tried to tell my one side of the family was noble, because of the prefix of the original surname. But I don't care. Maybe they had a great big bloody castle and the biggest host you ever saw. Maybe they were Nazis. I'll never know, they're long gone. Maybe I have the Slavic blood AND the heroic predecessors, I mean, 2 out of 4's not bad, that's half an advantage, anyway.

Or does being born in NY negate all that because I'm domestic? Is there a System for calculating this advantage? I'm Slavic by descent and let's say for the purposes of tallying advantage, I also have the heroic ancestors. But I'm not Russian or ROC, just a Russophile. But my co-worker speaks fluent Russian and is familiar with the culture. However, he's not Slavic, he's from Uzbekhstan and he's Jewish. Then I have another friend who is neither Slavic, Russian, ROC, but maybe she has the heroic ancestors, I never asked (did I mention New Yorker's don't give a rat's *** who your ancestors were? Pardon for being crude but I am domestic and that is the local dialect, you see.) But she has her degree in Russian studies, has traveled there, speaks the language fluently, and is certainly the most knowledgeable about Russia of any of us. So who has the biggest advantage if we all took up Systema at the same time? Would it be the one who has most recently immigrated to the U.S.? Is this closeness to the Russian soul that gives the advantage a geographic, spiritual, cultural, or simply genetic closeness? I really want to know so I can get a better idea of how this increasingly hypothetical advantage is measured.

I take particular umbrage at your remark, "Next time you see Mikhail Rybako ask him about this." I twice posted to this thread that I am far from the sources of Systema, by which I thought it was understand I've never even met Mikhail Rybako. Did you not know I've never met Mikhail Ryabko? I think you know this, but pointed it out anyway just to be snarky. More than anything else in your post, this remark strikes me as hostile. I haven't met Mikhail Rybako, so what do I know of Systema? Suprisingly, I agree with you there. That is why I twice mentioned that I am far from Systema's sources. Honestly, if you told me to Shut Up I'd take less offence than this remark. Unless you really meant to say, "You should ask Mikhail Rybako about this," which is good advice, but the sly use of the word "Next" indicates that you are saracastically implying that my visits to MR have been frequent although you know this is not true.

Going by what others have said of him, which is by no means definitive, and videos and printed interviews--also not a deciding factor as these can be edited, but that's all the info I have available to me--it seems MR would say that ROC will give you an advantage in everything. Not just Systema, but life. He is passionate about his faith, isn't he? But has he ever said that converting to ROC will give you an advantage in Systema? Or do you also have to be born to ROC, in which case, my Russian Jewish classmates lose a little of their overall advantage,

All right, so Systema can't be mastered by anyone. I guess you just have to be born to it. You've made this quite clear, fine I'll remain a dilettante. If that's Systema than perhaps I am not a student of it, I'm just a student of my teacher, who says that respect is given as it is earned. I'd throw in my lot with that approach over the other in a heartbeat.

Your closing says I am welcome to visit you in Serbia but the body of your message says quite another thing altogether. It's ironic that I only just discovered the Serbia training opportunities through http://www.russianmartialart-serbia.com/ and had really enjoyed browsing the site and fantasizing about the day I'd visit. I had wanted to visit Moscow but after looking at the site, I thought Serbia looked like fantastic opportunity for my first visit to Russia. I really wanted to see all the historic sites described and to take advantage of the great training, the surrounding country, and the beautiful facilities. I still think it's a great opportunity, but it's one which is no longer an option for me. I won't say never, because I can't divine the future, but a certain analogy about a large icy particle of precipitation and the blazing underworld springs to mind.

Pardon me if this post is too abrasive, I have five generations of Brooklyn in my bloodlines and that gives a huge advantage when it comes to insulting people.

-Rachel

milosmalic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanx for your replies

RachelK said:
Did you not know I've never met Mikhail Ryabko? I think you know this, but pointed it out anyway just to be snarky. More than anything else in your post, this remark strikes me as hostile. I haven't met Mikhail Rybako, so what do I know of Systema?
I haven't ever met him as well. You made a mistake with this statement. I don't think like that about you or anybody else who didn't meet MK. I am a member of that club :)

RachelK said:
I had wanted to visit Moscow but after looking at the site, I thought Serbia looked like fantastic opportunity for my first visit to Russia.
Hm, Serbia isn't part of Russia. It never hasn't been, and it never will be. Check the map. There are even several countries between us and them.

RachelK said:
Pardon me if this post is too abrasive, I have five generations of Brooklyn in my bloodlines and that gives a huge advantage when it comes to insulting people.
I am not offended. I didn't expect that you would understand exactly what I mean. Partly because of my english, and partly because you don't have a clue. That is not bad, it is just a fact.

Let me try to explain a bit more. For example, when I look at Scott Sonnon everything that he performs is perfect. It is obvious that behind the curtain there is lot of dedicated work, sweat and thinking through every detail. Long time of researching every aspect. But even though, when I see him working all his moves seem to me like act of will and not spontaneous.

You must understand that I am far below any level of mastery, and most probably I will never become one. This is only my opinion, actually rather feeling that opinion. That is what I feel, and I am open to share my feelings. Man cannot see an aura on the tape, or something like that - but some things man can just feel.....

People here for example are different than Russian. We have a bit more southern temper. That is often an obstacle for really incoorporating Systema. I am not talking about imitation of repetiton of moves. I have heared Russian guys (soldiers who came to help us during the last war) saying: "This is not perfect mach for you people, you have different temper. Go boxing, kick-boxing or something like that. It is not good to be aggressive, but it is no good in repressing the aggression if it exists by the definition of a person". I understand what they ment. I see the difference between Russian, Serbs and western people even more. That is not the ultimate obstacle. I personally believe that that will not disturb my development as well.

Basically, me and you relate on same thing - that everybody can learn Systema. But I will repeat: "Anybody can't become a master". (can I put two negations in one sentence?)

I don't have words to explain this :-(

milosmalic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WillFightForBeer said:
Funny Milo, before you'd always come across as intelligent and......well.....open-minded?
People learn during the time. And they change.

I am joking of course.

I have the feeling that I didn't explain very well what I ment. For start I don't have any rasistic or territorial problems.

WillFightForBeer said:
You are wrong. Thoroughly, 100% wrong.
I can accept that. I might not be right.
WillFightForBeer said:
But if he told me that in order to learn a punch, I would have to become Russian Orthodox (as preposterous as that sounds in the first place), I would honestly tell him to go ***** himself.
I personally think that he said that as a joke and to take boring students and their not very deep questions of his back for a while :) Anyhow, I think that people don't know enough about O. Christianity to understand what was he thinking about when he mentioned punch, relaxation and lack of negative feelings and a belief in the same context.

WillFightForBeer said:
and participation in the shameless recruiting for a cult at worst.
You went too far with this. Nobody is recruiting nobody. And OC is not a cult. Come on. You among first should know that it is most open, liberal and based on mans free will to be 'member' of all.

WillFightForBeer said:
If someone told you that in order to become a decent banker, you would have to be able to cook a turkey in minutes, would you go ahead and find a recipe, or laugh your *** off?
Depends on who told me that. Bank manager? Bank owner? Banker of the year. Person in charge of client relations (and clients like turkey)? Life is not so pragmatic and suitable for generalization as some people think. They find the sanctuary in explaining themselfs some weird stuff in this way.

I don't know, but I am almost sure that I wouldn't laugh my *** off. Maybe I would change a Bank, but with respect to Turkey Eaters Bank.

jellyman

Green Belt
Reaction score
From Mikhail's web site:

"system" - this is the standardized procedure of instruction and training in the form of the system of physical, psychological and spiritual exercises, which can be used for instruction and training any person independently of his floor, age, physical state, nationality, religion.

(my emphasis)

or, in the original russian:

«Система» – это унифицированная методика обучения и воспитания в виде системы физических, психологических и духовных упражнений, которая может использоваться для обучения и воспитания любого человека вне зависимости от его пола, возраста, физического состояния, национальности, вероисповедания.

http://www.systemaryabko.ru/

Also, from the summer camp, Konstantine said that the point of systema is not that it is Russian, but that it is correct.

milosmalic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I cannot object anything you quoted. Nevertheless all three of them are Russian, right :)? As I wrote before, everything I talk about is my own feeling, opinion, result of opservation - call it what ever you want. There is a difference and I see it. Where, how and why I obviously can't explain.

But pay attention - in the text you quoted there is "train" not "master". I never said that all those categories cannot train, I didn't say somebody from those categories cannot grow to be a master. I only said that it is more difficult to comprehend and incoorporate some parts blah blah blah.

jellyman said:
Do you work out with Sasha from Vald's?
Yes I do. You should tell on him. Look what kind of rebel he is cherishing :)

jellyman

Green Belt
Reaction score

In my many personal conversations with him, he tells me he is existentialist and anarchist, not ROC.

How do you feel, having 2nd-rate instructor? ;)

Anyway, it does not matter. No ranks, no ego. My son at 4 is already showing aptitude for grab-escapes, and can lock adults (although he does not know what it is). I find your assertion about other cultures, including ones you know nothing of or maybe never even heard of, to be evidence of iof a sort of ignorance which sadly, like courage, honesty, grit, and love, is also a pan-cultural component of the human condition. You know not who I am, or how I was raised, yet you judge anyway.

Ah well, time will tell.

RachelK

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You seem to have no shortage of words, Milosmalic, despite your statement to the contrary. Jellyman teaches his young son Systema, and that's what I'd call having Systema in the bloodline: nurture, not nature. Like the Cossacks. But they are probably at a disadvantage with Systema, being descended from serfs, with their principles of collectiveness and establishing identity through a way of life rather than ethnicity.
I do have a shortage of words--I hardly know what to say. But I owe you an apology, I thought Serbia was a region of Russian, not an independent country. I am very ignorant about geography. I also thought, based on your authoratitive remarks, that you are close to the sources of Systema. Perhaps you are not. I don't know. It's time for me to depart from this thread, it's too disheartening, and I have nothing of value to add to it.
I am sorry there's a language barrier. Maybe one day we our paths will cross and you can explain it better in person, until then, I'll remain without a clue.
Rachel

mscroggins

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Milosmailc hasn't said anything earthshattering, or even the least bit controversial. His belief is that sharing some cultural background with systema helps prepare you for a few things along the way, and gives you a head start on the learning curve. To me, that seems like a reasonable assumption.

But, let us assume even worse, that some students start with a mile long headstart. Is that going to stop you from training?

Another persons progress has nothing to do with yours. If you can't shrug off that little blow to your ego, then you are already in a hole.

In my opinion, the real advantage is gained by learning to be spontaneous and free of preconceived notions (including that a head start gives long term advantage). All the best Systemists I have run across (not really that many) have been as unafraid and full of life as a Tolstoy character.

Tolstoy loved the peasantry and rural life, perhaps rural life is the real advantage.

NYCRonin

Purple Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread has been interesting....for a number of reasons.
It even spread to another forum briefly.

For me, one thing that was interesting was that it reminded me so much of similar conversations from 30 years ago. When in other arts, there were a few that claimed "A non-????? could NEVER master the depths of ????? because they were not born ????". A statement that the 'head guys' never made, but was always made by the relatively young/middle level members. Thankfully, the head guys of those arts saw deeper into the commonality of ALL students that came to learn from them....and more importantly, the power and truth of the art they offered. 30 years later, time has proven them correct, not the ones trying to 'prove' (to themselves, actually) that ?????birth was a requirement.

As stated earlier re: all 'this' and Systema -- a certain advantage goes along with speaking a language and sharing culture with MR and VV - that is easy to see. We could go even further, and state an even greater advantage goes to a student that lives next to Ryabco's school or down the block from Club Vlad. An even greater one would have to go to Mr's or VV's children.
Still, it is nurture and not nature.

To think that there are 'secrets' ONLY shared with those of slavic birth, is to me; something almost insulting to the masters mentioned - they have shown me nothing but an open book....and in conversation with Vlad, he has never been anything but truthful.

As I re-read the thread - I sum 'this' up --
Systema is far to special to not see it as a 'gift to humanity'.
AND - anyone who ever will be regarded as a full 'master' of this -- will have to be an EXCEPTIONAL individual. Regardless of bloodline.
Oh, it would be easier (abit) if one was a ROC Muscovite, wealthy enough to train without any other concern.
BUT - mark my words, right NOW - there are those who are on the path that will produce the next 'worldwide' generation of masters -- as this is the evolution of truth shared openly...as MR and VV do. And a few of those are from locations and bloodlines that are not theirs.

Hmmm, at 50 - I might even live long enough to meet such exceptional individuals. Maybe....doubtful, but maybe.
Ultimately, it does not matter if I do -- or if there ever is a non-Russian master of this. What we have done in discussion, was for me; a memory from my past.
An exercise in 'theory' and debate.
We went from the starting point of the thread and went into another direction...interesting discussion -- but mearly that...ofr time alone will tell about the last name of the next generations of masters.
I does not matter, to me.

VV and MR, and a couple of others I have met or trained with -- have given me an open book - actually, an encyclopedia, of "Systema - The System of personal growth, self protection and health". I will never finish it! I dont care if I do! In fact, I am glad it is so extensive -- for Systema is a 'work in progress' -- even the masters are still the 'student'.

Just 'do the work' -- and focus on your own understanding and growth.
THAT is all thats really important, is it not?

As to the rest, time and history will decide...not us.

milosmalic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
jellyman said:
How do you feel, having 2nd-rate instructor? ;)
What does this mean?
jellyman said:
You know not who I am, or how I was raised, yet you judge anyway.
No I don't know who you are, meaning I don't know you personally and I never read your resume or so. But where did you get an idea that I judge? What did I judge? I told you my oppinion, that is what I somehow feel. I also wrote that I could accept not being right. As you say "...time will tell". If time tells me I was wrong I will countinue sharing that other newly discovered feeling.

Why do you get this so personal. Don't tell me that you are all obsessed to become systema masters and now I poked your eye?

jellyman

Green Belt
Reaction score
What does this mean?

It means, if you must be slavic and ROC to be a top-notch systema person, then Sasha falls short on one count. He cannot be top-notch.

Judgement?

It sounds like you are saying non-slav, non-ROC cannot go as far as slav ROC.

Which implies one is inherently better, one is inherently worse. Which is a judgement. You are evaluating someone's potential in some area without knowing him/her or even what they can do.

I don't take it personally. Like I said, this is a very common thing among people. I remember a time when I used to think that if you weren't Jamaican, you couldn't understand reggae. I was very young at the time. Now I know better. I have met many non-jamaicans who understand reggae very well. Well enough to make it to the hall of fame. Well enough to convince other Jamaicans they are Jamaican.

Don't tell me that you are all obsessed to become systema masters and now I poked your eye

If you ask Ryabko, he will not say he is a master. Others call him that, but he says he is not. He just does his best. It is all anyone can do.

Part of my 'soul' if you will is to never let anyone place arbitrary limitations on me. It is something I have been told since I was very little, as many times in my life people have looked at me and said, 'Oh, you cannot be very good at math' or 'Are you sure you want to take physics, maybe shop wuold be better for you.' or even 'Buy something or get out, I don't want you stealing.' without looking at my actual transcripts, or knowing who I am.

So when you say to me, jellyman, by the fact you are not slav and not ROC, you will never go as far as slav ROC, it is like you look at me and say I cannot do maths. Automatically (from my upbringing) I feel as if you would restrict me, stifle my aspirations, place limits upon me.

I am not sure if you can understand - it is like me saying 'You are slav and ROC, so therefor you will never be a master at cricket, only Anglican people from commonwealth countries can be true cricket masters.'

MattW

White Belt
Reaction score
Jellyman, its when people put those types of limitations on me that I strive even more. The limitations somehow remain present in my mind, and I start to believe them... but then I get this quick "flash," remembering that someone else said it. Not me. It then becomes apart of my "quest" to shatter those limitations and grow beyond all expectations. I've always found those limits as a great addition to my motivation.

So now that it remains, if you tell me I cannot be a master (even though I agree that the term master may not be suitable, as we can only do our best) because I am not Slavic-born, I will try harder. I will not be disheartened. All I can do is try even more and prove to myself that I can be free, a good expression that I've heard of Vlad using.

SonnyPuzikas

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
:partyon: Allrighteethen!!!
Why is it that someones opinion, free of agenda (unlike tichoks) is instantly labeled as something else? Nationalistic, racist, elitist... I dissagree with number of opinions expressed by Milos, but I don't see it as something more than his opinion- not meant to insult, alienate or marginalize Systema practitioners of non Slavic heritage.
As for tichok... I'll be polite- s kakoy celyu etu chush talkayesh?
Connection and role of ROC in Systema... I think that missunderstanding is in where ROC influences ones understanding of things- in Systema as a combat art, or in Systema, that is much more than that. ROC can help individual to understand his place and control many things that have enormous negative effect in life in general. The way we live manifests itself very clearly in the way we fight.
Has anybody talked to, as Rob likes to call them MVP's from Systema instructors of non Slavic heritage, about their understanding and role that concepts of ROC had in their path? Scott C, Jim K, Emmanuel, Martin and few others come to mind. Some would be surprised to hear few things these "MVP's" have to say about the topic.
Ilya- since when you know and own absolute, undisputable truth about such matters? What do you know what these "martial art instructors" are to those that could have much more experience, knowledge and wisdom than yourself? :idunno:
Party on... :partyon:

W

WillFightForBeer

I was really, honestly, going to avoid this topic out of my strong feelings for the subject-matter, but Sonny..........just had to address me.
Many have more knowledge and wisdom than me, but few have my vantage point on the situation. I can see what is happening as a whole, not as the little chaotic skirmishes that most would see.
This subject is ridiculous, many opinions here, possibly my own included, are ridiculous. It's just not worth my time. My youth is fleeting, and to waste it arguing with you guys is not at the top of my to-do list. Sorry, that's just how I feel.

-Ilya

W

WillFightForBeer

Oh, and I'd just like to add:
I just came back from 2 hours of rolling around on the cold, hard gravel outside and the wet grass in the dark. It was uncomfortable, miserable, painful, and I loved every second of it.
And if there's anyone who can learn what I am learning without the work I am putting into it, then kudos to them, but in the end, through MY hard work, I will be better.
Is that ego? You decide for yourself. I'd say that it would be ego to say "Because of my genetics I am naturally superior to you".
Just my opinion, remember, there are those with "purer" genes who obviously have more qualified opinions, right Sonny?

-Ilya

Arthur

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well this has turned into quite an "interesting" thread. It reminds me of a story from my real life.

Man years ago when I was doing another art, I use to go out every Wednesday after class with my teacher and two classmates (sometimes others would come as well). Every Wednesday I would watch my teacher and this one other fellow (let's call him Linus), have discussions that would turn into long winded and sometimes heated disagreements.

Myself and the fourth regular at this event (let's call him Shroeder) would sit and watch and listen... and be amazed that they were arguing so thoroughly over something that they were essentially on the same side. It turns out that Linus and the teacher had very different styles of communicating, and would invariably end up taking the same position but somehow finding a way to word it, that the other thought they were in conflict. Once they established the basic "conflict of agreement" they could go on arguing for sometime.

Eventually Shroeder and I would tire of the amusement, interject and then restate their positions in different language. Teacher and Linus would realize they were in agreement, smile and we could pay the bill and go home.

This thread reminds me of those evenings. There a lot of people posting in this thread that I know personally or through long time internet correspondence. I've been reading and listening to the nuance in their manner for years, and I can tell when there is sarcasm, humor, etc. It seems however that such nuance is being lost on many of the participants because they aren't as familiar with each others manner.

Might I suggest that IMO, 80-90% of the insult, negativity, etc. That has been perceived by people, is a result of misunderstanding the intent of the person being read. I think most all of you agree far more than you realize you do.

Arthur
PS MattW don't you know that people from the Cape can never learn Systema, you should just give up now :wink2:
PPS FWIW, I generally find that using colloquialisms, sarcasm and other pieces of subtle and nuanced speech is more of a problem than a help when attempting to communicate across nations, languages and cultures.

milosmalic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
MattW said:
I am not Slavic-born, I will try harder. I will not be disheartened.
At the end, I did something positive with my empty words. I will be glad if you do that.

But watch for that WISH, it might become progress killer. One of the important things I often hear/read about Systema is that it should occupy ones attention during the classes and in combat.. but after the class we shouldn't be cooking it in our heads too much, we should just live our lives, love our loved ones, eat favourite food and fight for a beer. :)

Until the next class

Latest Discussions