My young cousin passed away.

avm247

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My cousin's daughter, Caitlin, had a form of cancer known as myoblastoma, which sometimes afflicts children. My understanding is that it begins as a clump of cells that form naturally in the fetus, but disappear by the time of birth. If that clump doesn't disappear, it turns into a tumor. If it is discovered within the first year, it is often successfully treated. After the first year, it is much more difficult to treat.

Caitlin's tumor was discovered around Thanksgiving time last year. She had undergone numerous rounds of chemotherapy as well as surgery, but the tumor kept returning and was very agressive. She passed away at around 1:00 am on Monday morning. She was five years old.

Numerous members of my extended family were able to be with Caitlin's family during the last couple of days, to help them get thru this ordeal. My mother told me that early the prior day as her health was taking another downturn, Caitlin was conscious and coherent enough to tell her mother that she was ready to be finished with it all.

I never had a chance to meet her, as I live halfway across the country and have not seen my cousin's family in quite a while.

Rest In Peace, little Caitlin.

My deepest condolences to you and your family in this difficult time.

medic

White Belt
Reaction score
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you and her family

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Latest Discussions