My young cousin passed away.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My cousin's daughter, Caitlin, had a form of cancer known as myoblastoma, which sometimes afflicts children. My understanding is that it begins as a clump of cells that form naturally in the fetus, but disappear by the time of birth. If that clump doesn't disappear, it turns into a tumor. If it is discovered within the first year, it is often successfully treated. After the first year, it is much more difficult to treat.

Caitlin's tumor was discovered around Thanksgiving time last year. She had undergone numerous rounds of chemotherapy as well as surgery, but the tumor kept returning and was very agressive. She passed away at around 1:00 am on Monday morning. She was five years old.

Numerous members of my extended family were able to be with Caitlin's family during the last couple of days, to help them get thru this ordeal. My mother told me that early the prior day as her health was taking another downturn, Caitlin was conscious and coherent enough to tell her mother that she was ready to be finished with it all.

I never had a chance to meet her, as I live halfway across the country and have not seen my cousin's family in quite a while.

Rest In Peace, little Caitlin.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The passing of children is so tragic. My deepest condolences and prayers for you and your family.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So sorry to hear this, FC. Any death is saddening but that of a little girl through illness tugs at the heart more than most :rei:.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No parent should ever have to bury a child. My condolences. May time bring them peace.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My deepest condolences to you, and especially to Caitlin's parents. :asian:

Latest Discussions