My teacher tested me for black belt, but was it too soon.. Thoughts?

Myers

White Belt
Reaction score
Greetings, allow me to better explain the topic.

I've been practicing TSD MDK for almost 5 years. I trained under a new master/new school for the past 2 years as a red belt (my old school moved). He is a highly regarded master and is a direct student of our founder. He is as "real" as it gets, his judgement is always sound, he trains and teaches with extreme passion and accuracy, he's as elite and legit as you can get.

I say all this because I'm confused as to why he would test me for black belt before knowing all of the "required" material. Typically, the school travels to national events that hold BB testing, and 4 months ago I was told I would be doing the same (in early '15).

Fast forward to last week where I was expecting to take my final pre-test. I was actually handed papers for black belt and congratulated. I confirmed with him that these papers were correct (I was told months ago I would be testing for BB early next yr.)

At the risk of sounding full of myself, I'm one of the hardest working students in the school, I'm an adult and I take my training very seriously. I give 100% spirit and proper attitude every class and only rarely am I spoken to for tweaking my techniques. My master has affirmed this many times with me.

He has never tested anyone who wasn't ready, meaning... fully knowledgeable of all requirements, attendance, techniques and proper respect. For some reason I was tested without knowing my final form. What's even more strange is I was asked to do the form at testing with other red belts. I had to tell him I was never taught, for a moment he appeared confused but quickly dismissed it and asked me to sit down. Testing was 3 hours long, and we were deep into it at this point, it simply could be a mistake he made, forgetting about my level of knowledge.

Am I perhaps reading too much into this black belt "requirement"? Are there certain intangibles that a person can have that makes them worthy of testing before knowing a form they should technically know? I tend to pick up forms rather quickly as I train for them constantly. All I can think is that he's at a level in his karate life and with-in our organization that would allow him to test anyone he sees fit. I literally know everything I need to know other than this last form, I did excellent on the test otherwise. I've spent years training hard, with the mentality of black belt and hes seen it and has always told me I deserve to be a bb. Despite all of this, I cannot help but feel I somehow was given some sort of "pass" or perhaps he made a mistake on me. I wanted to test at 100% capacity just like everyone else. Have I perhaps studied too hard on simple guidelines?

I'm anxious to see what other higher ranking students and instructors think of this? I'm sure the obvious question most people will have is why did I not simply ask my teacher why I tested but I don't want to make it seem like I challenged him or questioned his judgement in any way. It's over and done with now but I'm still searching for an answer, perhaps your comments can help.

Thank you.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A chodan or ildan, or whatever it is called in TSD MDK is a beginning dan. It means that you have learned the basics and have learned how to learn. Knowing one form more or less doesn't change whether you have proficiency in the basics of the art.

As you say, your sabeom is as real as it gets. There is more to being a black belt than just rote knowledge. In theory, a person can learn a hundred kata (it isn't that hard; I know over a hundred song lyrics and can sing them on demand) but have no deep knowledge in any of them, and may not be able to see the principles in the forms.

Understanding the principles is more important than knowing another form. I've read about old masters who never studied more than one or two kata. Then you have contemporary arts that don't even use kata. Kata is simply a teaching method, not an incantation that unlocks some kind of achievement. Apparently, your sabeom feels that you have learned what you need to hold the grade.

Congratulations!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congratulations, sir. Sincerely.

Now, shut up and train.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you move like a Black Belt, it doesn't matter to me that you didn't fulfill the entire business model. Congratulations! :) You wouldn't believe some of the Katas I don't know. :)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

I've been practicing TSD MDK for almost 5 years. I trained under a new master/new school for the past 2 years as a red belt (my old school moved). He is a highly regarded master and is a direct student of our founder. He is as "real" as it gets, his judgement is always sound, he trains and teaches with extreme passion and accuracy, he's as elite and legit as you can get.

I say all this because I'm confused as to why he would test me for black belt before knowing all of the "required" material. Typically, the school travels to national events that hold BB testing, and 4 months ago I was told I would be doing the same (in early '15).

Fast forward to last week where I was expecting to take my final pre-test. I was actually handed papers for black belt and congratulated. I confirmed with him that these papers were correct (I was told months ago I would be testing for BB early next yr.)

At the risk of sounding full of myself, I'm one of the hardest working students in the school, I'm an adult and I take my training very seriously. I give 100% spirit and proper attitude every class and only rarely am I spoken to for tweaking my techniques. My master has affirmed this many times with me.

He has never tested anyone who wasn't ready, meaning... fully knowledgeable of all requirements, attendance, techniques and proper respect. For some reason I was tested without knowing my final form. What's even more strange is I was asked to do the form at testing with other red belts. I had to tell him I was never taught, for a moment he appeared confused but quickly dismissed it and asked me to sit down. Testing was 3 hours long, and we were deep into it at this point, it simply could be a mistake he made, forgetting about my level of knowledge.

Am I perhaps reading too much into this black belt "requirement"? Are there certain intangibles that a person can have that makes them worthy of testing before knowing a form they should technically know? I tend to pick up forms rather quickly as I train for them constantly. All I can think is that he's at a level in his karate life and with-in our organization that would allow him to test anyone he sees fit. I literally know everything I need to know other than this last form, I did excellent on the test otherwise. I've spent years training hard, with the mentality of black belt and hes seen it and has always told me I deserve to be a bb. Despite all of this, I cannot help but feel I somehow was given some sort of "pass" or perhaps he made a mistake on me. I wanted to test at 100% capacity just like everyone else. Have I perhaps studied too hard on simple guidelines?

I'm anxious to see what other higher ranking students and instructors think of this? I'm sure the obvious question most people will have is why did I not simply ask my teacher why I tested but I don't want to make it seem like I challenged him or questioned his judgement in any way. It's over and done with now but I'm still searching for an answer, perhaps your comments can help.

Thank you.

I'm usually skeptic of things myself but this is a certain one; a good instructor won't pass a student for anything other than good training. You must have earned it, black belt is a big step up from red. Good job
Best of luck

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Myers

I believe you have to trust your instincts, your first statement here kind of sums it up.

Your master is highly regarded within your organization, he is a direct student of the founder, his judgement is always sound, and he trains and teaches with passion and accuracy. In short he's as elite and legit as you can get. These are your observations about him, so you need to trust him and his judgement, especially over some other people on an internet forum.

Touch of Death kind of summed things up as well with his statement that if you move like a black belt it doesn't matter if you didn't follow the complete business model, your instructor believed you were ready for black and he tested you for it. Now you have to believe in your self and trust him and move forward.

I'm not wanting to derail this thread about why your instructor tested you, but Touch of Death brings up a important point that you should realize. Rank requirements, belt exams, exam boards, belts, are all different parts of a business model; they all help and act as a form of quality control, a form of standardization, a way for instructors/students to organize themselves, a guide etc. etc. Nothing more and nothing less. So if in the general business model your organization says that you need to do this form and that form etc. etc. but your instructor sees in you what he has and decided that you were ready to move on then that is what counts. Now make sure you continue to live up to and honor his decision to test you.

1) Make it a priority to learn that new form, the one that you lack. Unless he tells you otherwise I would learn it and do it with full intention or commitment.
2) Learn from your instructor's example of you testing, sometimes a student is ready for something even when they aren't from the organizational point of view, it's OK to step out of the structure sometimes.
3) Continue training hard, you haven't arrived, you don't have the glow yet, there is still a lot to learn and I'm sure your instructor has a lot more to teach you. 1st Black is a first level on a long journey, realize it is a first step and not the end of a journey. Then you can rest in the knowledge that one kata or sticking to that business model doesn't make or break a black belt.
4) Your promotion can also be an a motivational tool (perhaps tool is the wrong word) for the school. In that your instructor is using your promotion as a way to instruct and motivate the other students, that through hard work and commitment you can achieve great things.

In closing promoting you as he did, your instructor did something that other instructors have also done throughout time. It is rare, because we are stepping out of the prescribed business model so to speak, but not unheard of. I myself passed to of my students to black belt when they thought they were only going to a weekend seminar, they too believed they were going to test for 1st black the following year. Like you they came to me with prior training; after training with me for about 2+ years, over the course of the summer as they were prepping for their yearly seminar with their former instructor, I saw in them what I desired my black belts to look like. Even though they still needed to learn what some of my requirements where for black belt, they had what I wanted my black belts to have. So I arranged for their instructor and the master instructor of the seminar (who knew them as well) to secretly test them to see if they met their requirements (skill wise) for black. They did, so we all promoted them to black in my system.

I was doing for them what your instructor did for you; acknowledging their hard work, their skill and dedication.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Black Belt is a big step but it's still just a step on a very long journey. He felt you were ready to move on. Congrats.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!! He must have known you were ready. It's a big step but it sounds to me like you are doing fine. Keep steppin!

OP
M

Myers

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the congrats, I especially appreciate the insight. I still have a rigid, student-like mentality which is why I can get hung up on formalities.

I will absolutely take this next step with pride and honor, this is truly a life long dream that has endured many setbacks and challenges. I'm very excited for this next step in my career.

I'd like to update this thread once I do receive my promotion.

Thanks.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First congratulations

Now if you feel you where not ready : as others have said your instructor thought you where so prove him correct by working harder and continuing your learning. Work until you feel that you deserve that rank and then work to prove to yourself that you wear it with confidence and make your instructor proud he promoted you.
I like the attitude that you felt you did not deserve it. To me this says your some what humble and still wanting to learn

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Myers, if you are in the United States, you have probably heard of the Appalachian Trail. Its a 2000+ mile hiking trail that extends from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mt. Katahdin, Maine.

Some people take several months to hike the trail from end to end. These folks are called "thru-hikers", others do it in sections here and there. These folks are called "section hikers". There are times when natural conditions, such as a flooding or a thunderstorm, may push a hiker off their path. Other times, such as when trail repairs are needed after storm damage (ie: Hurricane Irene) the Conservancy may require that the hiker walks a bit on a nearby road instead of a trail.

But once the trail is completed, the hiker can apply for the "2000 mile club" to be recognized for their effort -- regardless of how they hiked it, or how long they took to finish the journey.

This is what the Conservancy says at the top of their application:

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) recognizes anyone who reports completion of the entire
Trail as a “2,000-miler.” The term is a matter of tradition and convenience, based upon the original
estimated length of the Trail. Conservancy policy is to operate on an honor system, assuming that
those who apply for 2000-miler status have hiked all of the A.T. between Katahdin and Springer
Mountain, either as a thru-hiker or in sections. In the event of an emergency, such as a flood, a
forest fire, or an impending storm, blue-blazed trails or officially required roadwalks are viable
substitutes for the white-blazed route. Issues of sequence, direction, speed, length of time or
whether one carries a pack are not considered. ATC assumes that those who apply have made an
honest effort to walk the entire Trail, even if they did not walk past every white blaze. If you meet
these standards, please complete and sign the form below.

Your instructor has indicated you have successfully completed your honest attempt to walk the trail, even if you didn't walk past every white blaze.

Congratulations and well done sir :asian:

Now, go celebrate! :partyon: :cheers:

OP
M

Myers

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you again, it truly is all about the journey. Now that this reality has set in, I'm much less anxious then when I posted this.

I'm very much looking forward to receiving my promotion and will check back in once I do.

Latest Discussions