My Rantings On Sci Fi Space Combat

• Thread starter Deleted member 39746
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Historically incorrect, but fiction. So it's fine.

No it isnt, you are conflating fantasy with fiction. The setting would be in victorian england, so the fashion and trends etc should be the same. I will allow you, if you explain how said laser is created to introduce it in your story, same with the aliens. the two areas you have to play around with there are the aliens and the laser and its effects. You cant then have every victorian englishman start doing things that are not vicorian english or act like its a normal thing to be attacked by aliens etc. You dont have free reign to do what you like with everything because it a fictious story, the story is, the place and time peroid are not. ie you cant have all the victorian englishmen walk around in tracksuits. it will cease to be victorian england, and a fantasy england.

Also the problem is deeper than you think, every piece of fiction goes towards impression of the peroid, see the medievil peroid and how the bulk of media depicts it as a filthy ceasepool where everyone is covered in muck and are morons. This has happened in many peroids and inaccurate deepictions go to spreading myths on it. Other issue there, plate armour mobility and people wearing plate getting killed via slashing to it, so many other tropes for inaccurcies, those just came to my head.

Its not like if you make a compeltely fantasy world, you will be using a real kingdom that existed, and placing it in a peroid of its history, you have very little in the way of experientation with said kingdom. if you want to make up a fictional kingdom fine, a fictional world fine, that would give you more liberty to play around with. If you want to introduce dragons to medievil england, fine, but that doesnt mean every englishman magically gets AK47's.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it isnt, you are conflating fantasy with fiction.

Seriously? you think fantasy isn't fiction? I think next you will be telling us Corrie is a documentary

OP
D

Deleted member 39746

Seriously? you think fantasy isn't fiction? I think next you will be telling us Corrie is a documentary

Not what i wrote. Fantasy is fiction, not all fiction is fantasy. I have all ready explained that point.

if you dont get it, you just dont get it. (some people dont get it) simply put, if you use a real place, in a real time peroid, you have less freedom to do what you wish, you have more if its a fictious place, or time peroid. (pending context), and ultimate freedom is your own world/universe. You still cant randomly have gravity not exist for no reason if you establish it as following the laws of physics.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not what i wrote. Fantasy is fiction, not all fiction is fantasy. I have all ready explained that point.

if you dont get it, you just dont get it. (some people dont get it)

Oh dear.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score

if you dont get it, you just dont get it. (some people dont get it) simply put, if you use a real place, in a real time peroid, you have less freedom to do what you wish, you have more if its a fictious place, or time peroid. (pending context), and ultimate freedom is your own world/universe. You still cant randomly have gravity not exist for no reason if you establish it as following the laws of physics.

Well, I have to disagree.

Because it's fiction - i.e. it's entirely made up - it's totally up to the author how historically accurate it is. They can choose to make up a story about one particular person's life in a specific time period and use historical data to attempt to convey how life was, or they can have cavemen on hoverboards with absolutely no explanation if they feel like it.

If reference is made to actual events, then it's usually best to be accurate with those - but even then it's not compulsory. Because fiction.

What you're apparently doing is interpreting "dramatisation based on real events" as the basis of fiction, with "fantasy" being an offshoot - when in fact both are simply subsets of the overall term "fiction" and there's absolutely no rule that says you aren't allowed a fantasy sci-fi period drama no matter how historically inaccurate it may be.

And with the physics thing - again, fiction.

A story can be established where gravity works exactly within the actual laws of physics, except that oranges have a baseline of 13.7metres from ground level - if you let go of an orange it will drop or rise to that height and stay there.

No need to explain why, because fiction.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fantasy and fiction...………… neither are real.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I have to disagree.

Because it's fiction - i.e. it's entirely made up - it's totally up to the author how historically accurate it is. They can choose to make up a story about one particular person's life in a specific time period and use historical data to attempt to convey how life was, or they can have cavemen on hoverboards with absolutely no explanation if they feel like it.

If reference is made to actual events, then it's usually best to be accurate with those - but even then it's not compulsory. Because fiction.

What you're apparently doing is interpreting "dramatisation based on real events" as the basis of fiction, with "fantasy" being an offshoot - when in fact both are simply subsets of the overall term "fiction" and there's absolutely no rule that says you aren't allowed a fantasy sci-fi period drama no matter how historically inaccurate it may be.

And with the physics thing - again, fiction.

A story can be established where gravity works exactly within the actual laws of physics, except that oranges have a baseline of 13.7metres from ground level - if you let go of an orange it will drop or rise to that height and stay there.

No need to explain why, because fiction.

Good fiction will explain why. Good world building in fiction is generally considered important

Hence why people still read Tolkien.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'd like to know where you obtained the knowledge - from this post it's woefully incomplete and apparently based on films.

You've said this post is based on warfare.

Starfleet is not a military force, it's scientific, diplomatic and exploratory.

Therefore, they would only do things like carrying the minimum amount of weaponry.

And after scans of the surface shows nothing environmental of danger, PPE can be largely disregarded as the transporters are effective biological filters.

Also, things like the ship's captain leading an away team is a contravention of Starfleet regulations (section 12), which is roundly ignored by a succession of captains.
Though I did always marvel that they didn't either contract or spread some kind of pandemic to the locals, even if the atmosphere was compatible.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good fiction will explain why. Good world building in fiction is generally considered important

Hence why people still read Tolkien.

I agree, mostly... but explaining isn't always needed. I think The Expanse is good fiction. But although they actually do the science pretty well, they make no effort to explain everything. The ring, for example. The attitude is "it's alien technology and we have no idea how it works".

Though I did always marvel that they didn't either contract or spread some kind of pandemic to the locals, even if the atmosphere was compatible.

One possibility here is that the biochemistry doesn't match. When War of the Worlds was written, the people of Earth were saved because a simple cold virus was lethal to the Martians. But why would an earth pathogen infect beings with such markedly different biochemistry?
Dogs don't get COVID 19. Why? Because during infection, the virus attacks a protein called Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2. And a dog has a slightly different ACE2. A tiny difference is all it takes.

The thing that always bothered me was all the interspecies sex.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
One possibility here is that the biochemistry doesn't match. When War of the Worlds was written, the people of Earth were saved because a simple cold virus was lethal to the Martians. But why would an earth pathogen infect beings with such markedly different biochemistry?
Dogs don't get COVID 19. Why? Because during infection, the virus attacks a protein called Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2. And a dog has a slightly different ACE2. A tiny difference is all it takes.

Regarding the biochemistry, I asked my daughter who has a degree in biochemistry. I'll share what she says, if anything.

Regarding dogs, etc, they can get it: COVID-19 and Your Health.

And we get viruses from animals, as well. Particularly when they can carry them, without becoming super ill. That's how we got COVID19 in the first place: Zoonotic Diseases | One Health | CDC

Your explanation above seems to support my point, which is that it's possible that Kirk or Spock or the expendable security guy would either catch something from the locals that is for them mostly or entirely benign, or spread something to them.

Think Europeans bringing influenza to the Native Americans... or bats bringing us Covid19, or apes bringing us HIV.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding the biochemistry, I asked my daughter who has a degree in biochemistry. I'll share what she says, if anything.

Ok, I'll clarify. They can get it, but they cannot give it to us, nor does it really make them sick.

And we get viruses from animals, as well. Particularly when they can carry them, without becoming super ill. That's how we got COVID19 in the first place: Zoonotic Diseases | One Health | CDC

I didn't say no animals ever had a bug that humans could get. I said there are bugs that infect people that do not infect animals. And those are creatures with whom we share an awful lot of DNA. So I think it's entirely reasonable to think that our bugs won't bother a creature with zero shared DNA.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ok, I'll clarify. They can get it, but they cannot give it to us, nor does it really make them sick.
Or they might get it. Or we might give it to them. What I said was I am surprised they never contracted some disease from or spread some disease to the locals.
I didn't say no animals ever had a bug that humans could get. I said there are bugs that infect people that do not infect animals. And those are creatures with whom we share an awful lot of DNA. So I think it's entirely reasonable to think that our bugs won't bother a creature with zero shared DNA.
LOL. You're being obtuse. You actually did say that no animals had bugs that humans can get... in this post. You say, "It's entirely reasonable to think that our bugs won't bother a creature with zero shared DNA." And you're using dogs and COVID as your rationale. Are you posting tongue in cheek? I'm going to presume so.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In similar news, my wife, who is a huge nerd, reminded me that many episode of Star Trek and TTNG started with the crew contracting an exotic alien disease of some kind or another.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree, mostly... but explaining isn't always needed. I think The Expanse is good fiction. But although they actually do the science pretty well, they make no effort to explain everything. The ring, for example. The attitude is "it's alien technology and we have no idea how it works".

how do you know that Martian have remarkably different bio chemistry ?

the fact that there are, as yet, no known Martian seems to make that difficult to know, even more as the book doesn't identify which pathogen lead to their demise, its hard to know if an unknow bug would kill an unknow alien with unknow bio chemistry

id put my money on them having an under cooked bat for lunch

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Definitely people will make leaps for the sake of narrative. And I think space combat would realistically look rather dull.

But I think the fun of world building is to look at how a world would work if........

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Or the Martins were originally human.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Your explanation above seems to support my point, which is that it's possible that Kirk or Spock or the expendable security guy would either catch something from the locals that is for them mostly or entirely benign, or spread something to them.

Think Europeans bringing influenza to the Native Americans... or bats bringing us Covid19, or apes bringing us HIV.

Yeah we have issues with hendra virus which is bats to horses to people or something.

Latest Discussions