My Grandfather's Son - Associate Justice of the Supreme Court - Clarence Thomas

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, I went peeking about for the 'Conservative' review of Mr. Thomas' book.

The first I found was here.

http://www.theconservativevoice.com/article/28260.html

By, Armstrong Williams, a commentator who took money from the government to promote the Government Agenda, and former employee of Mr. Thomas. Certainly not an unbiased source.

In this piece, there seems to be very littel direct review from the book. Mr. Williams is a personal acquaintance with the Justice, and it appears that much of this article is based on personal interaction, rather than the book. One example, Mr. Williams talks about Mr. Thomas' fathers opinion about attending college in the Northeast ...
Armstrong Williams said:
He also mentioned his father being uncertain about his attending college in New Haven, Connecticut.
... this seems to conflict with the Washington Post review of the actual book.
Washington Post said:
Thomas lovingly describes the iron-willed grandfather who raised him after his own father abandoned him as a toddler
Washington Post said:
Of course, I didn't consider it {suicide} seriously, if only because I knew I couldn't abandon [my son] Jamal as I had been abandoned by C," which is how he refers to his father, M.C. Thomas.

So, in one review, by a colleague and friend, the father councils the son against going to college in New England. In the other review, the father is not present at all. Hmm.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, in one review, by a colleague and friend, the father councils the son against going to college in New England. In the other review, the father is not present at all. Hmm.
Yeah, and he earned a JD and an appointment to the USSC. I guess you'd have more respect for him if he turned to drugs and crime and blamed it on his father not being around, or not being supportive...

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple of weeks back, the Barnes and Noble in Mellville, NY was actually sold out of the Justice's book. The staff person told me they had ordered 14 copies of the book, and all had been sold. I'm kind of suprised they ordered that few numbers of the book, and kind of surprised that they sold out.

My wife and I went out last week, but I couldn't pull the trigger on the book, so I haven't read it yet. It is sort of on the list, but I think Ms. Plame's book will be the next on the list (redactions and all)

But, there has been a huge vacuum about the book since its release. After the interviews and reports preceeding its release, I have seen only two articles.

One hinted that the other Supreme Court Justice's think it was in bad taste that Judge Thomas released a book while still sitting on the bench.

The other, linked to here, tells us that Mr. Thomas holds his Yale Law Degree in very low regard. Specifically, fifteen cents.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20071021/yale-justice-thomas/

Thomas says he stores his Yale Law degree in his basement with a 15-cent sticker from a cigar package on the frame.

What is interesting to me, is that the Justice presumes that the number of interviews he had to partake of after graduating was too high.

He says he was repeatedly turned down in job interviews at law firms after his 1974 graduation.

He draws a conclusion that it was the affirmative action choices by Yale that made it difficult for him to find a job in the mid 70's.

I can't help but wonder if law practices (the potential employers with whom he was interviewing) were still prejudiced. In 1975, were women and minorities granted equal access in any workplace? Perhaps it is my prejudices on display, but it seems that law firms would be one of the last bastiens of 'The Old Boy Network'.

Several of the early reports on the book indicated that the Justice was quite bitter. This seems to be a verification of that point of view.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
After reading the article, I'm leaning towards agreeing with Coleman. One's experience is largely what one makes of it and the people who matter will respect you for that - everyone else has farther to go on their journey.

Wow.

I'll buy that law degree for $0.15.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
New words of ignomy from one of the most powerful men on the planet.
There's not much that entices about the job. .... There's no money in it, no privacy, no big houses, and from an ego standpoint, it does nothing for me.

... wouldn't say I like it.

I like sports. I like to drive a motor home.
http://www.ocregister.com/news/thomas-book-people-1944513-whose-life

What is so wrong with stating the bad points of his job? Hell, he left out people like you bashing him online...

Latest Discussions