My family

Andrew Evans

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Excellent post Dan! I think there are many similarities between our Modern Arnis families, GM RP's family and our real families. I hope that we can continue to share and grow. I also hope that our students appreciate us as much as we appreciate our teachers.

The following story is probably something we have all experienced with our parents and teachers and/or experienced with our children and students.

Last weekend while working with Dr. Remy Presas Jr. after the seminar, he keep correcting a couple of techniques and lecturing me (over and over again). Then he became a little reminiscent about his dad. Remy Jr. said that as a child, he hated how his father was such a perfectionist but now realizes the importance and appreciates it. I don't know about you but it sounds a lot like the relationship I had with my parents.

This also reminds me of the country songs "Seein' My Father in Me" by Paul Overstreet
http://www.pauloverstreet.com/audio/forever/seeinmyfather.ram
and
"Song for Dad" by Keith Urban
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00006JOG7001010/1/002-4162418-6555217

In case the links don't work, here's some lyrics:

"Seeing My Father In Me"
Last night we brought the children by to visit their grandpa and it's plain to see they're truly a part of him. While we were there their grandma took out some old photographs and he sure looked a lot like me back then. I'm seeing my father in me I guess that's how it's meant to be and I find I'm more and more like him each day. I notice I walk the way he walks I notice I talk the way he talks. I'm starting to see my father in me.

"Song For Dad"
Lately I've been noticing I say the same things he used to say and I even find myself acting the very same way. When I look in the mirror he's right there in my eyes staring back at me and I realize the older I get the more I can see how much he loved my mother and my brother and me. There were times I thought he was being just a little bit hard on me but now I understand he was makin' me become the man he knew that I could be. In everything he ever did he always did with love and I'm proud today to say I'm his son. When somebody says I hope I get to meet your dad, I just smile and say you already have.

Regards,
Andrew

p.s. I enjoyed my visit with you last year and hope to repeat it in the future.

Latest Discussions