My experience with American kenpo

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That frankly is just nasty.

They are not all bad of course. The issue is that in any group of people, it's the loudest ones who people notice, because of this the nice cops don't get recognized much while the horrible ones do.

We also have many cops and in general social service workers who are very overworked and get little to no vacation time. So they get so stressed out and like all humans, eventually snap.

moonhill99

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually they teach that is criminal justice courses. The logic is that if you surround and inundate a guy, or gal, with nothing but criminals they start to see the world a little differently. I am sure it would never happen to you, of course. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean. A police officer dealing with criminal is not same with public dealing with criminal.

If some bad guy breaks into my home or some bad guy tries to rob me I'm not going to play the calm and relax and hope he backs of me by playing the de-escalation.

If you the public well you want to scare the bad guy to run away and well cops don't want him to run away. This goal is very different from cops trying to talk to bad guy or put cuffs on him and not to piss the bad guy more than he his.

If some bad guy is breaking in my home I"m going me screaming and yelling and running around nude with pipe or knife!!! So bad guy things I'm high on drugs or escape a mental hospital and I'm crazy.

Also robbery or burglary is going be different game than family domestic or dispute. Where by talking loud the other person will than counter that by talking even louder. A hothead person in family domestic or dispute be better by de-escalation or leaving the location. Otherwise fight will happen if he you come across combative.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean. A police officer dealing with criminal is not same with public dealing with criminal.

If some bad guy breaks into my home or some bad guy tries to rob me I'm not going to play the calm and relax and hope he backs of me by playing the de-escalation.

If you the public well you want to scare the bad guy to run away and well cops don't want him to run away. This goal is very different from cops trying to talk to bad guy or put cuffs on him and not to piss the bad guy more than he his.

If some bad guy is breaking in my home I"m going me screaming and yelling and running around nude with pipe or knife!!! So bad guy things I'm high on drugs or escape a mental hospital and I'm crazy.

Also robbery or burglary is going be different game than family domestic or dispute. Where by talking loud the other person will than counter that by talking even louder. A hothead person in family domestic or dispute be better by de-escalation or leaving the location. Otherwise fight will happen if he you come across combative.
Fine, but a persons view of the world, has nothing to do with how you act around the public, unless you can't control yourself.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I think that will get you shot.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think he's trolling. I think it's more than that.

Well in that case he should learn some real self defense. Otherwise he is going to be seriously hurt or worse. Acting like a lunatic will only get you shot or beat up by burglers.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Acting like a lunatic will only get you shot or beat up by burglers.

As I am in the UK I will put to one side getting shot, as that is not a discussion I am qualified to talk about, but I am curious to know why you think acting like a lunatic get you beaten up by burglars?

Burglars (and similar other criminals, muggers etc) want to get what they want by the easiest means necessary. If they break into a house and are faced by a naked lunatic waving a knife and acting erratically they are faced with two options (well two options in the abscence of fire arms) they can either tackle said lunatic and attempt to beat him up, putting their own safety at risk, or they can leave and go find another house that is going to contain an easier victim less likely to put up a fight.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
As I am in the UK I will put to one side getting shot, as that is not a discussion I am qualified to talk about, but I am curious to know why you think acting like a lunatic get you beaten up by burglars?

Burglars (and similar other criminals, muggers etc) want to get what they want by the easiest means necessary. If they break into a house and are faced by a naked lunatic waving a knife and acting erratically they are faced with two options (well two options in the abscence of fire arms) they can either tackle said lunatic and attempt to beat him up, putting their own safety at risk, or they can leave and go find another house that is going to contain an easier victim less likely to put up a fight.

If have a gun that would scare the **** out of me and I'd start shooting. If no gun is present I'd probably beat the guy with a pipe or something. I seriously doubt burglars go into the place with no weapon.

Last edited:

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If have a gun that would scare the **** out of me and I'd start shooting. If no gun is present I'd probably best the guy with a pipe or something. I seriously doubt burglars go into the place with no weapon.
You'd rather fight the guy than leave and go find an easier house to break into?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'd rather fight the guy than leave and go find an easier house to break into?

If a guy is coming at me with a knife I'm going to have to protect myself. If I turn and run he could chase me and possibly stab me.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh dear you are going to start that discussion again :eek:

Oh no! I'm not doing this again.

I'm just going to say this. I wouldn't be robbing a house in the first place so this situation would never happen.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If a guy is coming at me with a knife I'm going to have to protect myself. If I turn and run he could chase me and possibly stab me.

Security guard trick for break ins. Make a lot of noise and give the guy an exit.

Then they will generally run.

Apparently one of the advantages of a shot gun is that it sounds like a shot gun.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I think it depends a lot on the criminal, his mindset and the situation. Maybe the robber is mentally unstable or on drugs - he may react in all kinds of ways. Or maybe he thinks that he has a better chance of getting away if he hurts you first.

There was a case in my town where a guy tried to fight a robber who was stealing his TV set, and the robber stabbed him and ran away. As far as I know, he was never caught.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Security guard trick for break ins. Make a lot of noise and give the guy an exit.

Then they will generally run.

Apparently one of the advantages of a shot gun is that it sounds like a shot gun.

When me and some friends were taking a short cut home from school we would cut through a farm. One day the owner saw us and shot a gun into the air. We ran so fast and jumped his fence, then we never took that shortcut again.

Latest Discussions