tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:)
How many of you practice to music?
I don't mea doing compatition forms dne to music, I am talking about playing some sort of music in the background durring class.
Do you use classical, mordern, rock, percussion?
If so or if not Why or Why not?
Shadow

T

TLH3rdDan

i play music sometimes during class as to what i play it depends on my mood sometimes classical sometimes rock but always something fast and pounding... lol of course my fav is the rocky story soundtrack lol

W

white dragon

OK, an intersting question as I was just deciding what to play tomorrow. I tend to get to training an hour or two before class starts and do my own training. I always take a CD player down and in general I tend to listen to rock/metal/industrial music, simply because of the fast beats that can keep me going. My general choice would be:

The Cult - Beyond good And Evil
Slayer - Diabolus In Musica
Lamb - Lamb

All three work well for keeping the interest and attitude going (the last being more drum and bass based incase you wondered).
Durring class playing music durring hard stamina often helps, and out instrtuctor will play the Gladiators album, which is the english version of american gladiators, for those of you who remember that show ;)

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great question. Sometimes James Brown (my Black Belt aspirants have to tell me his 4 different nicknames). Sometimes King Crimson. It all depends what my mood is during the warm ups. I have extensive and quite off the wall musical tastes so from night to night, you never know.
Dan
PS - You can't forget 1969-1973 Miles Davis.

D

disciple

I always play classical chinese intrument music when I practice tai chi...unfortunately, there is no music in my school

salute

:asian:

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All the time. Some form of rock. When is spar it's got to be hard and loud!

:asian:

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i play rock classical and percussio at verious times. Sometimes even slow mood music.
Befor sparring I like Rob Zombie Its someting about the beat that gts me going.
Love to play Queen, Pink Floyd and Moody Blues. Is that my age showing?
Hevay percussion (when i can find it) for stickwork or sparing
Shadow
Nice to see people use music for verried reasons

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser

Before sparring I like Rob Zombie Its someting about the beat that gts me going.

That's what I'm talking about. Oh Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!

:jedi1: :jediduel: :duel: :knight: :samurai: :armed: :cheers:

I

Icepick

My 1st few BJJ lessons seemed weird to me, and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized, there was no TOOL to be heard...

M

Mantis Leg

Ahhh, music to train to. Some of the posts mention techno, drum n' bass, industrial, and Rob Zombie. Research into BPM(beats per minutes) shows that music can alter brainwaves. My thought is that some musics can induce a trance state that is similar to the state of consciousness of meditation. Personally I find music between 160- 180 BPM gets my chi flowing, and I'm in a more "energized" condition.
The Japanese have a musical tradition of drumming that I heard years ago and was blown away by. The music carried me right into a clear, zen state. I think it was Koto, Kodo, something like that. Awesome stuff!:hammer: :boing2: :hammer:

W

white dragon

Ah Tool is superb for training too! There's something in the bass that can keep me going...

D

Dumpsterqueen

I like watching the different pace of the same kata done to different music.Amazing how it can change the effect.
DQ
;)

S

Shinzu

when i was into kung fu my sifu used to play chinese instrumental music. it really helped my focus.

i think i would like it if i was doing some cardio or taebo workout but as for regular training i prefer to train without music.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mantis Leg

The Japanese have a musical tradition of drumming that I heard years ago and was blown away by. The music carried me right into a clear, zen state. I think it was Koto, Kodo, something like that. Awesome stuff!:hammer: :boing2: :hammer:

I believe you're talking about Taiko drumming. GREAT stuff. Powerfully driven beats. There used to be a couple of Taiko groups that would tour the U.S. I gotta see if they're still around.

Cthulhu

S

Shinzu

i enjoy listening to that type of music when i meditate. i find that it helps me clear my mind and concentrate on my breathing. nature music is also relaxing.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey Mantis,

Kodo is the group, taiko is the music!

They are great, but to get the full effect you should watch them live. The drumming that they do is incredibly athletic.

Me, I like Crystal Method for my workouts.

Lamont

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not trying to a wise guy or to be insulting but I know what crystal meth.is, but what or who is Crystal Method

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Blindside

Hey Mantis,

Kodo is the group, taiko is the music!

They are great, but to get the full effect you should watch them live. The drumming that they do is incredibly athletic.

Me, I like Crystal Method for my workouts.

Lamont

There's a group I've seen (via TV) called Ondekoza who I really like. They're homepage is in Japanese, so I don't know what they're up to currently. They have toured the U.S. before, and have a few CDs out.

Cthulhu