do you listen to music while in class or teaching class

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
How many of you listen to music while taking class or your instructor plays music. I have been to schools that do this but I would rather not what are your thoughts.
We listen to music during warm-up and stretches but, not during instruction. Every now and then we do during sparring, best one I heard for sparring though was a band called Drowning Pool with the song "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" :)

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Depends on how I feel when I start the class.

Sometimes I feel aggresive and will play something fast.
Sometimes I like to just talk to my students and listen to what they have to say......then I like to have some mellow blues playing in the background.
I even let them pick the music sometimes,but I do have my limits!
Ms. Spears is certain death!

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
YES
metallica.jpg

Your Brother
John

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No music. First, I and my students both need 100% focus in class, and music distracts from that focus. Instead of listening to me or paying attention to each other, they're listening to some song.
Second, in my opinion music trivializes traditional training. Listen all you want before and after class, but no music during. I wouldn't even listen during personal practice. I want to focus on what I'm doing.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And I love (Cliff Burton-era) Metallica. Just not during class. Although sometimes I will listen to AC/DC on the way to class to put me in a good mood:)

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John I have a whole new sense about you. LOL :boing2: Metallica somehow doesn't fit your rather peaceful screen name... Are you really two people? :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have had music on a few times - but very soft...sometimes native American flute, sometimes world flutes, but we mostly do not play music during class.

Funny, my friend and I were on our way to a class Sunday morning, both very tired, and I was thinking that it would be good to have music on the way to get in the mood. Well, he picked LL Cool Jay. Got him in the mood to train.

Music will sometimes get me into the mood, but unless it is forms day, I don't need it in the background.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kanjc said:
We listen to music during warm-up and stretches but, not during instruction. Every now and then we do during sparring, best one I heard for sparring though was a band called Drowning Pool with the song "Let the Bodies Hit the Floor" :)

Good song for sparring hehehehehehe :D

And Brother John, I do listen to Metallica at home while training :D

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
And I love (Cliff Burton-era) Metallica. Just not during class. Although sometimes I will listen to AC/DC on the way to class to put me in a good mood:)
Cliff Burton-era!!! Now THAT's the SOURCE!!! The man could lay down some bass like nobody, let alone what Jame's calls his "spiritual impact"...his influence of "Be who you are and Rock On".
RIP
:asian:
AC/DC.... Fine choice! :ultracool

I understand your feelings about not listening to music during class.
Myself, I don't let beginners listen during class. But once the foundation is set I find that the music lends some realism. In a confrontation you will have a THOUSAND distrators in your face... you've got to be able to work through it. A few times I've seen that the music was too much of a distraction and I'm quick to shut it off. But I've got TONS of music on my computer and burn all kinds of compilations for class.

Take it cheesy...
Your Brother
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Brother John I have a whole new sense about you. LOL :boing2: Metallica somehow doesn't fit your rather peaceful screen name... Are you really two people? :D

hahahahahahaaaa....
Guess I'd never thought of my 'image' on the net.
I'm 32 years old, so I'm a product of the 80's. Hair bands....so/so. Heavy Metal...He11 Yeah!!! I personally like the "And Justice For All" and "Master of Puppets" album's by Metallica the best!!!!!!!!!!!
Yall KNOW about my martial arts interests and whatnot, so I shant bore you with that.
I've done bodybuilding/weight training for almost 15 years. Guess you could say it's my "Heavy Metal" actualized. (never competed, at least...not with anyone other than myself)

Gees... don't know what else to tells ya. I don't want to throw my Net-friends for a loop again. ;)
Take it easy Mj-hi-yah.

Your Brother (Heavy Metal and all)
John

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Good song for sparring hehehehehehe :D

And Brother John, I do listen to Metallica at home while training :D
Yes yes! a Good song for sparing.

How about these:
MegaDeath:
Symphony of Destruction
Sweating Bullets

Metallica:
Ride the Lightening
Whiplash
Damage Incorporated
Battery
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Seek and Destroy
Stone Cold Crazy (Cover of the Queen version original)

AC/DC:
Dirty Deeds
For those about to ROCK
Thunder Struck

Gun's & Roses:
Welcome to the Jungle
Mr. Brownstone
Get in the Ring
Locomotive
Use your Illusion

There's lots More good stuff...and these are from older albums.
GOOD GOOD GOOD stuff though.

Your Brother
John

K

KenpoNoChikara

Yes, but I find it rather distracting if I'm trying to teach.......
Metallica is good for sparring, though :)

S

sifu nick

Besides Cardio Kickboxing class we sometimes play music during sparring classes and every now and then some loud annoying stuff while students are blindfolded doing forms to help with their concentration.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sifu nick said:
Besides Cardio Kickboxing class we sometimes play music during sparring classes and every now and then some loud annoying stuff while students are blindfolded doing forms to help with their concentration.
Everytime I read a post of yours I read it with Chief Wiggins voice (stop talking to me)

Latest Discussions