Musashi's Style

ScottUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For the record, they include a 12 kata set for the long sword, a 7 kata set for the short sword against long sword, and a 5 kata set for two swords against a long sword.
Add to that a large (20-kata) bojutsu section, juttejutsu and yawara.

But the essence of Musashi's approach to swordsmanship
I believe the core of HNIR is the study of strategy and combative spirit more than the swordsmanship itself. Just an opinion. ;)

And, no, no matter how much reference material you have, no matter how much self-training you have, no matter how much personal insight you have, if you want the old arts you have to train the old arts. Legitimately.
Amen to that.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All very true. In fact, Musashi's father is believed to have founded a system of jittejutsu (note: a jitte is different to a jutte, so no confusion there), which was adapted into the juttejutsu of Musashi's approach.

And I agree, the core of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu is strategy over particular weaponry, hence my listing of items such as spear and naginata, I was just refering to the approach to sword in particular as evidenced by my wording. HNIR has long been a fascination of mine, unfortunately unavailable to me in my present location/situation. Always good to get more info on it's curriculuum, thanks Scott!

ScottUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
One of my guys is moving to Oz soon - and I think he mentioned Melbourne. If that is the case, maybe the two of you could get a practice group together and invite the HNIR Oz representative to practice with you?

PM me your email address and I'll keep in touch.

ScottUK

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And I agree, the core of Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu is strategy over particular weaponry, hence my listing of items such as spear and naginata, I was just refering to the approach to sword in particular as evidenced by my wording. HNIR has long been a fascination of mine, unfortunately unavailable to me in my present location/situation. Always good to get more info on it's curriculuum, thanks Scott!
Some more info:

http://www.nitenichiryu.co.uk/about-curriculum.htm

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've read somewhere in the gorinnosho the saying -and i find it very cool
'oxs' neck, rats head'

That in strategy, these two types of strength must be played out that when the enemy is engrosed in intricate subtlties to break out with large direct technique like an ox, and vice versa that when somewhen is completely dedicated to big moves they can be outsmarted by the trickery and nimbleness of a rat.

Latest Discussions