Multiple styles

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Yiliquan1

There is really nothing wrong with studying other things once you have a substantial base in one art.

Key words........Substantial.....and Base :asian:

Y

ydma1796

Originally posted by Master of Blades
when I get a job and leave school and have some time on my hands :asian:

You've got a lot to learn... Job ...then comes family ...no more time than there is now.

;) Kevin

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by ydma1796
You've got a lot to learn... Job ...then comes family ...no more time than there is now.

;) Kevin

No family for a while my friend.........I promised not to get married till I'm 30......by then I should be emotionally ready :D

Y

ydma1796

No family for a while my friend.........I promised not to get married till I'm 30......by then I should be emotionally ready :D

Sure you say that now. I said I'd never get married and here I'am now married 8 years already...

Oh yeah I'm 32 and still not emotionally ready lol

:asian:
Kevin

Sorry for going off topic people :eek:

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by ydma1796
Sure you say that now. I said I'd never get married and here I'am now married 8 years already...

Oh yeah I'm 32 and still not emotionally ready lol

:asian:
Kevin

Sorry for going off topic people :eek:

On a seriouse note seeing as I am being seriouse, I do not know what the future holds.....But knowing me I will be able to plan my future around it :asian:

M

MartialArtist

I'll give you negative. I dont believe in cross training because I would rather be Good in one style then alright in a half a dozen styles. Why be decent at grappling AND kicking AND punching when you can just start one art like Hapkido and get it all. Whats the point of doing TKD AND BJJ AND Wing Chun. Its also a lot easier to focus in one art :cuss:

Theres some negative for ya :D
I was great at striking, and my previous posts don't indicate that I'm an avid cross-trainer. However, when the oppourtunity comes, take it. If you have a chance to wrestle at high school, or box in college, take it. You can become decent at it but it might help you in what you're great at.

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by MartialArtist
I was great at striking, and my previous posts don't indicate that I'm an avid cross-trainer. However, when the oppourtunity comes, take it. If you have a chance to wrestle at high school, or box in college, take it. You can become decent at it but it might help you in what you're great at.

Even though I just did that post so DAC could get some negative I do see where your getting at and I thank you alot for your input. Much appreciated :asian:

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'll give you negative. I dont believe in cross training because I would rather be Good in one style then alright in a half a dozen styles. Why be decent at grappling AND kicking AND punching when you can just start one art like Hapkido and get it all. Whats the point of doing TKD AND BJJ AND Wing Chun. Its also a lot easier to focus in one art :cuss:

Theres some negative for ya :D

I agree that you must take one style for a base and once you have established that then to train in another art would be acceptable in my opinion. :asian:

F

fist of fury

My primary art is Wing Chun, But I do study some Kali along with it. Right now most of my practice and focus is WC once I've got a better foundation I'll work harder on Kali.

P

pittjunky

I started with TKD then went to kenpo and now I am taking classes for brezilian ju jitsu for an on the ground fighting stile. alought of times if two people are evenly matched and it's not in the ring the fight will endup on the ground.

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by pittjunky
I started with TKD then went to kenpo and now I am taking classes for brezilian ju jitsu for an on the ground fighting stile. alought of times if two people are evenly matched and it's not in the ring the fight will endup on the ground.
being on the ground doesn't mean both people will be on the ground or due to grappling.

Most fights do go to the ground... Because one person knocks the other guy down.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pittjunky

When you take up a new art like Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu it does not mean you have to abandon your original art. It may even be beneficial to train in more that one school. Many great masters have done just that and eventually deciding that one was the right one for them. But after experiencing the other art(s) as well.

P

pittjunky

I didn't abendon kenpo, I'm still taking it but I also take the ju jitsu twice a week.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have trained in multiple styles, here are the onesI have trained at least 6 months in (starting in 1984)

Tang Soo Do
Shotokan
Tae Kwon Do *
Aikido
American Kenpo

I have also had training in:

Judo
Grappling
Kickboxing
Boxing
Kunf Fu

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Excellent info...

Lets here some more opinions on wether its right or wrong to train in multiple styles.

:goop: :goop:

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by DAC..florida
Excellent info...

Lets here some more opinions on wether its right or wrong to train in multiple styles.

:goop: :goop:

It can be done wrong.....It can be done right. In my opinion it is WRONG if you start straight off with 4 or 5 arts as it is increasingly hard to get a decent base. However if you have a decent base in whatever art (I'm talking like at least a Black Belt) then it is okay to start cross training. I think 3 arts is MY maximum for cross training.....I dont disagree with those who choose to do 7 but I do think thats a bit much. I do however think that some arts are great for cross training like TKD and Hapkido so I wouldnt mind doing Kali, Wing Chun, Hapkido & TKD. But anymore then three completly differant styles and I would find it hard to juggle :asian:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think an important question to ask is why a person feels a need to crosstrain?

While I have enjoyed training outside of Yiliquan, it was never because I felt my Yili training needed to be bolstered by other styles of fighting or other types of training. I studied other arts (and continue to do so) because I have an interest in them - nothing more.

The thing that continues to entertain me is the ongoing support people give to styles/schools that apparently don't train broadly enough, thus encouraging their students by their actions or inactions to go elsewhere in search of training.

I have come across some arts that were very particular in their training, and the only arts that I have had any interest in were the arts that covered the spectrum of empty handed (and non-projectile weapon armed) fighting.

So what kind of crosstraining are we talking about? Crosstraining just because an art interests you, or crosstraining because your "mother art" is lacking in a particular area...?

Gambarimasu.
:asian: :tank: :asian:

M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
I think an important question to ask is why a person feels a need to crosstrain?

While I have enjoyed training outside of Yiliquan, it was never because I felt my Yili training needed to be bolstered by other styles of fighting or other types of training. I studied other arts (and continue to do so) because I have an interest in them - nothing more.

The thing that continues to entertain me is the ongoing support people give to styles/schools that apparently don't train broadly enough, thus encouraging their students by their actions or inactions to go elsewhere in search of training.

I have come across some arts that were very particular in their training, and the only arts that I have had any interest in were the arts that covered the spectrum of empty handed (and non-projectile weapon armed) fighting.

So what kind of crosstraining are we talking about? Crosstraining just because an art interests you, or crosstraining because your "mother art" is lacking in a particular area...?

Gambarimasu.
:asian: :tank: :asian:

I think a lot of reasons for most people cross training is because there art does lack in a particular area. I know a LOT of TKD people who cross train in BJJ or JuiJitsu because TKD lacks in grappling or floor fighting. I however only cross train for the interest in the art. If I do not find the art interesting no matter how practical it is I will never be able to find my Niche in it :asian:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess if I was training in an art that was obviously lacking in particular areas, or worse yet in its overall teaching, I'd just go someplace else...

Gambarimasu.

Latest Discussions