muay thai or wing chun

B

bob919

i have the option of picking either or both but i am concerned about learning 2 philosophys at once, whihc one do you guys think i should pick

Johnathan Napalm

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to take a shot at competition, take Muay Thai. I don't think there is competition in WC.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you are going or trying to stick with martial arts for the long haul go with the wing chun, after your athleticism fades your wing chun skills will still be there if you train long enough. Although Muy thai may give you some very immediate benefits. I would tell you start one first then after a couple of months to a year add the other. Trying to start them both at once will be very contradictory and slow down your learning process. Good luck.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Has rigorous workout. Kick is very strong. Not too many techniques to remember. Very practical

OP
A

Astra

Originally posted by muayThaiPerson
Not too many techniques to remember. Very practical

And I suppose Wing Chun has hundreds of forms and thousands of different moves? ;)

OP
S

sweeper

well if you go one at a time I would suggest wing chun, not form personal experience but people I know who have done both boxing and wing chun say it's easyer to go from wing chun to boxing than the other way around.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I started Wing Chun in October and continue to be impressed with it. It is a very good art that imparts skills that will be of benefit to you in the practice of other arts. Its principles are very sound.

OP
B

bob919

yeh i thought bruce lee had some great principles but after searching for wing chun i found most were from there i am probably going to do wing chun for a year or 2 to get the feel for it then start muay thai as well but continue with wing chun

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
><!@#$%^&*(!@#$%^*&()*&^$@#$*&()~!@#$%^*&(@#^%&^*&(^&%^$%#$#^^*&(*&(*(&%^$%#$@#!#^&^*&*&*&**^&%@$#%^*()#$^*&(%^&*#%^&*$%^$&^&%^%^^(**(&*#$%^&*(@#$%^&*

OP
J

jmj8255

Originally posted by Astra
And I suppose Wing Chun has hundreds of forms and thousands of different moves? ;)

Wing Chun Has 3 forms and quite a few less than a thousand moves. But as some one else has already said when you can't do Mauy Thai the way you should you will still be able to properly do wing chun. I do both but for different reasons. I do not recommend doing 2 different Martial arts as a beginner. Spend the time to learn the first one right and later you can supplement with a different art that is compatible. At the very least give your first art your full attention for at least 3 months. If you have the spare time to do 2 arts then you have the time to practice 1 art the way it should be done.

jim

OP
A

Astra

Originally posted by jmj8255
Wing Chun Has 3 forms and quite a few less than a thousand moves. But as some one else has already said when you can't do Mauy Thai the way you should you will still be able to properly do wing chun. I do both but for different reasons. I do not recommend doing 2 different Martial arts as a beginner. Spend the time to learn the first one right and later you can supplement with a different art that is compatible. At the very least give your first art your full attention for at least 3 months. If you have the spare time to do 2 arts then you have the time to practice 1 art the way it should be done.

jim

It was a sarcastic rhetorical question. I knew that already.

OP
M

MartialArtist

You know, it all really depends on you.

You have to evaluate yourself and where you want to be. Are you very fast and agile? Are you big or small? Are you tall or short? Do you hit hard or not?

Learn to maximize your strengths. For someone like Ali or Lee, they would do much better in wing chun than say Phykadamn.

But, I say at least learn one style and practice it for a couple of years before even thinking on moving to another art. A lot of the times, learning different arts isn't necessary. It's important to learn the different aspects of fighting like on the ground, being in crowded places, standing straight up, etc. but that's different from trying to learn 10 styles.

OP
B

bob919

surely wing cchun has 5 or six forms

sim tao lum
chum kil
chunsau
bill jee
and at least one more where you learn butterfly sword ss and the 61/2 point staff

in know they arent spelled right

OP
A

Astra

There are 3 empty hand forms:
Siu Nim Tao/Sil Lum Tao
Chum Kiu/Chum Kil
Biu Jee/Bil Jee

and two "armed" forms:

Six-and-a-half-point staff
Butterfly knives

Don't know "chunsao", you maybe referring to the Chi Sao excercises.

OP
S

sweeper

also you might consider going to wing chun for a year or two so you know what it's all about and than picking another art as a suplament to improve a weaker area or to strengthen an already strong area. I know a couple of people who have done something like this and it seams as though it works out well.

OP
B

Blackdragon

I study wing chun and I have a friend who studies muay thai. They are both good and effective fighting styles. Even I incorporate some muay thai in my training, but my main focus is wing chun. Whatever works for you.
I could spend hours pointing out similarities and differences( well, maybe not exactly HOURS ), but it would probably be best if you looked into it yourself.
I wish you luck.

p.s.- how's everyone doing? I've been gone for a while.

Latest Discussions