muay thai health hazards

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialArtist: "No, Thailand isn't the sweat-shop, prostitutes, and the 3rd world country ignorant people think it is"

The part about prostitutes is everything people say it is here. I had heard the stories but it wasn't even close to the real thing... this place is insane for prostitutes. It's wilder than anything you can imagine...unless you have a really wild imagination! What I mean is, basically, there is a crapload of prostitution here. It's not a slight against this country, it's just the way it is here and it seems to be very acceptable.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

well I personaly havn't seen any research report showing this (I know that doens't mean it's not true :p)

You are correct

I havn't seen any evidence to show that the nerve cells are dammaged to the point of loosing fealing. If that were the case all tactile sensation should be reduced correct?

This would imply that you only have a few nerves in, for instance, your lower leg (Tib-Fib area). When in reality you have a great deal of nerve endings that percieve surface events. Your nervous system is best described as a large tree. What you are damaging (assuming that damage occurs during this particular event) would be the little branch sprouts that hold the leaves. If you cut a few of those little branches off, your tree still has leaves and will most likely grow back the ones that you cut off. If more serious damage is done, for instance to the sciatic nerve which runs from the spinal chord down as far as your ankle, you can have serious problems, but that isn't exactly what we were talking about.

What it comes down to is simply this, it IS possible to damage nerve endings, but it IS also possible to retain "tactile" sensitivity because of the numerous amount of nerve endings that are close to the surface of the skin. Look at it this way, where can you cut yourself with a knife that it won't hurt? The answer is NO where assuming that you have zero nerve damage.

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

what do you mean by "if during regrowth the nerves never again make "surface contact" then you will not experience any increase in feeling or sensitivity".....so you have to keep kicking to get you feeling bag??

No. Nerves in the peripheral nervous system can regrow to some degree (over a period of time). When they do they don't necessarily grow in a straight line. The pattern of growth is chaotic, it would be like trying to PUSH a water hose across your yard from where it connects to your house. Sure it's easy to do over a few feet, but what is the likleyhood (sp?) of being able to accurately push it to an intended target 30 ft away. Not very high. Nerves work exactly like this only on a much smaller scale (generally in terms of millimeters). You can help, to some degree, your body recuperate by gently rubbing afflicted areas to maintain circulation, this will keep blood from pooling in damaged areas. In most cases seeing a Doctor familiar with athletic injuries is of the greatest benefit. In otherwords, don't take your Porsche to the motorcycle shop for repairs.

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

OK, i thought about this....all of us martial artist in every country trains with heavy bags and/or pads. And the kicks arent taps. Also, we kick with our shins. So why does shin cancer mostly occur to MT fighters?? I dont know. but i doubt it has to do with the art. Why not karate ppl or kung fu ppl? I think kicking a bag is totally irrelevant to shin cancer

OP
S

sweeper

If you are "conditioning" your shins by destroying nerve endings than shouldn't all your tactile preception drop at the same rate relative to your pain sensitivity?

OP
M

muayThaiPerson

Shin conditioning is really bone strenghening. As for the nerves, its just being numbed up little. nerves arent the main point of shin conditioning. and youre not dropping any tactile perception since you can still feel and the bone is much much stonger

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Damian Mavis
MartialArtist: "No, Thailand isn't the sweat-shop, prostitutes, and the 3rd world country ignorant people think it is"

The part about prostitutes is everything people say it is here. I had heard the stories but it wasn't even close to the real thing... this place is insane for prostitutes. It's wilder than anything you can imagine...unless you have a really wild imagination! What I mean is, basically, there is a crapload of prostitution here. It's not a slight against this country, it's just the way it is here and it seems to be very acceptable.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
When I was there, I saw a couple of prostitues but streets were never full of them... Like a Red Light District. Has Thailand changed that much?

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh man... maybe you just stayed in the nice areas? I travel all around and see so much crap it's unbelievable. In Koh samui in broad daylight when you are walking to your training the prostitutes actually physically assault you and try to drag you into the massage parlours. By the way 99% of those "traditional Thai massage parlours" you walked by are all fronts for brothels. In Bangkok there is a red light district ya, but there's also a thousand "plazas" which are like outdoor malls with gogo bars full of girls to pick to BUY. Then there's the dance clubs..... uhm those girls are on the fricking job. When I first got here I went to a couple of dance clubs and thought I was pretty studly with all the attention I was getting but they all wanted my money. Basically if you like them they will go home with you and then ask for money. NOT THAT I DID THIS! I just found out when my Thai friends were laughing at me because I was thinking they actually liked me for me haha. They schooled me pretty good on the realities of Bangkok. My friends that have lived here for 10 years say this is actually a new trend, it didnt used to be this way.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

Originally posted by Kenpo Yahoo
No. Nerves in the peripheral nervous system can regrow to some degree (over a period of time). When they do they don't necessarily grow in a straight line. The pattern of growth is chaotic, it would be like trying to PUSH a water hose across your yard from where it connects to your house. Sure it's easy to do over a few feet, but what is the likleyhood (sp?) of being able to accurately push it to an intended target 30 ft away. Not very high. Nerves work exactly like this only on a much smaller scale (generally in terms of millimeters). You can help, to some degree, your body recuperate by gently rubbing afflicted areas to maintain circulation, this will keep blood from pooling in damaged areas. In most cases seeing a Doctor familiar with athletic injuries is of the greatest benefit. In otherwords, don't take your Porsche to the motorcycle shop for repairs.

This is what my Senseis have told me on the subject of body conditioning. Here's the summary of it.

"Its not the kicking of the bag that causes cancer. Its the damage that you do to the cells in the bone. Repetitive damage forces the cells to divide rapidly. Cell division is the only time that the dna is vulnerable to mutations. these can be caused by a lot of things like stress and the environmental hazards(ie polution, viruses, radiation, etc). The rapid cell division increases the chance of cancer formation simply because of increased amounts of vulnerablity."

hope this helps.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"angrywhitepajamas"

Son of a beach...that is the best damn name for a martial arts forum user...damnit I'm so jealous.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
A

angrywhitepajamas

well at least someone understands the joke.

And as an addendum, we as human beings are always exposed to cancer causing agents. Our bodies have and entire sub section of the immune system that deals with cancer. But cancer is only expressed when that system breaks down or is overwhelmed. It takes quite a bit to over whelm that part of the immune system. in addition it takes roughly 5 mutations for the cell or tissue to be considered cancerous. Essentially we justhave to go over what has been said many times on this website, Train and Heal smartly and adhere to common sense.

didn't mean to get every one worried.:)