MT member meeting?

OP
W

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Holler if you head up toward NC. Unfortunately, I have nowhere to train these days (I'm currently trying to give away my mats, too - just taking up space downstairs in the corner). But I'd love to hang out a bit and ramble about MA for a while!
Wait what happened to your training space?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Holler if you head up toward NC. Unfortunately, I have nowhere to train these days (I'm currently trying to give away my mats, too - just taking up space downstairs in the corner). But I'd love to hang out a bit and ramble about MA for a while!
What type of mats?

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
How do you do that when you don't know who would be there to teach this curriculum?
As I said, it would just be thinking paper in the beginning. Something to see what people are looking for and what is available.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Following.

Additionally, as others said, I'm open to providing input on planning. I have quite a bit of experience in planning events/seminars/workshops/projects, etc.
Check out this thread MartialTalk Meetup Poll if you haven't seen it. I'm taking the lead planning so it doesn't die out, but it's been a bit since I've had to plan any events, so if you have any recommendations/advice I'm all ears.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait what happened to your training space?
I used 3 different places since I moved here. I taught at a YMCA until they decided to give my time slot to someone else. Then I taught a a county rec center until they decided I could no longer use their mats and would have to bring mine for every class (no storage in the room). Then I found a Shorin-ryu dojo that had open time slots and let me teach there. Covid put them out of business.

Now with my work schedule (entirely unpredictable) I can't even think about starting classes back up, nor even trying to join someplace as a student. And I don't really have a connection with any places in the area, so no place I can just ask to borrow space to play with a friend.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What type of mats?
2 kinds.
  • One is an 8x8 grappling mat that stores in a single case (bulky, but one person can carry it). Swain marketed it as a personal training mat - I suspect for BJJ, as it meets what one of the Gracie branches designated as the minimum training space.
  • The other is a set of cheap tumbling mats I added more velcro to, so they could be joined on the long edge. I think they are 4x8, and fold down to 2x4, but that's from memory.
I used to put them all together to make a reasonable training space.

OP
W

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used 3 different places since I moved here. I taught at a YMCA until they decided to give my time slot to someone else. Then I taught a a county rec center until they decided I could no longer use their mats and would have to bring mine for every class (no storage in the room). Then I found a Shorin-ryu dojo that had open time slots and let me teach there. Covid put them out of business.

Now with my work schedule (entirely unpredictable) I can't even think about starting classes back up, nor even trying to join someplace as a student. And I don't really have a connection with any places in the area, so no place I can just ask to borrow space to play with a friend.
Sorry to hear that.

dream

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Would NYers combine to a NYC midway point like New Paltz?

Latest Discussions