motivation

karate-dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As an instructor with high standards, where do we go with some of our students? Recognizing that when they started, they barely spoke or made eye contact, they have come a long way. But at what point do we say that their material although "there" has no real emphasis to it, how do we motivate them more, or do we just say they are doing the best they can?

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Show them. Show them it won't work when it looks lukewarm and done half-assed. Give them a demonstration on how it needs to be if it's ever gonna REALLY work and really drive the point home. Good luck. :asian:

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Show them. Show them it won't work when it looks lukewarm and done half-assed. Give them a demonstration on how it needs to be if it's ever gonna REALLY work and really drive the point home. Good luck. :asian:

Ditto! Show them their way, and the show them the right way. How you approach this though will depend on whether it's a lack of understanding, or a lack of concern.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Part of being an instructor is learning to motivate your students. I have a habit I'm borrowing from a couple of very talented teachers where I ask questions of my students in a manner that allows them to "own" the material, when they feel in control of their learning process I've found they take far more interest in learning what works, and why.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe its not lack of motivation per-se but a little bit of boredom or complacency on their part. Try picking up the pace and push them a little harder, mix it up and try some new things to spice things up a bit.
If you have any other instructor friends have them step in and teach a class or 2 and you do the same in their dojo. Another way to get things going it to have a few joint classes with another dojo to work out basics, drills and a little sparring. Everyone needs a benchmark every now and then.

-Marc-

Latest Discussions