most useless

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just because I am in one of those moods:

What is (to YOU) the most useless kick you have been taught, have seen, or know will be taught to you. WHY

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Simple flying jumping sidekick, like your opponet is just going to stand there while you come running at him and jump with that foot going right at him, please the movies are great but this kick is worthless and yet it get tought by everyone except me but my students learn it from vido games and movies.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Simple flying jumping sidekick, like your opponent is just going to stand there while you come running at him and jump with that foot going right at him, please the movies are great but this kick is worthless and yet it get taught by everyone except me but my students learn it from video games and movies.
Agreed, the only way that kick could work is that if you're on a first strike mood and your opponent has got their back turned to you and is wearing IPODS blaring out music.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simple flying jumping sidekick, like your opponet is just going to stand there while you come running at him and jump with that foot going right at him, please the movies are great but this kick is worthless and yet it get tought by everyone except me but my students learn it from vido games and movies.

I also agree, this kick was developed during times when it may have been useful, to pick people off of horseback (at least that's how I heard it). I don't run across too many of those hear in Southern California, but even if I did, I can't jump that high anymore.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Useless in a real fight situation, I'm assuming. This kick wasn't taught to me but to a couple other, more talented students - an upside-down jumping spin kick.

I think pushing your ability to control your body in time and space and make it do extraordinary things has value ... but I just can't see using this IRL ... unless you're fighting Spiderman or your opponent is hanging from a fire escape ladder or chandelier or something.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
aaahhh come on now you mean to tell me you folks dont jump over pool tables and kick that guy who made a dirty face at you :rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------

If I am doing anything that resembles a kick and I am upside down it is surly a mistake because i will just be trying to figure what just happened and where I am

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
aaahhh come on now you mean to tell me you folks dont jump over pool tables and kick that guy who made a dirty face at you :rolleyes:
-------------------------------------------------------

If I am doing anything that resembles a kick and I am upside down it is surly a mistake because i will just be trying to figure what just happened and where I am

I don't live too far from Hollywood, but I've never seen it happen. :ultracool

While I don't see the martial value in a jump side kick, I do see some agility value in it. It's a difficult kick to do well. Practicing it can lead to better all around agility.

I do think it's truly nuts that there is one for each leg in the WTF 9th Dan form, Ilyeo. The older you get, the more you should have to do this kick.:barf:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also agree, this kick was developed during times when it may have been useful, to pick people off of horseback (at least that's how I heard it). I don't run across too many of those hear in Southern California, but even if I did, I can't jump that high anymore.

The big problem with the horseback theory.... horse are tall, you'd have to be clearing 6 feet and kicking at 8 feet. Those Okinawans / Koreans aren't the tallest people on the planet either. I just can't see someone kicking a person off a horse.

Nor can I see a disarmed public composed of farmers and fishermans fighting off heavily armed professional warriors using improvised weapons, the kicking off a horse seems to have come out of that story line.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
got to admit I had a friend try it over a pool table while drunk. He made it he even made it onto the next close table where he messed up a Money game. I will not repet what happened to him after he landed.

as for one for each foot in a 9th dan form. PLease by the time someone reaches 9th dan they should be happy to get off the ground. Just MHO

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always thought that the combination jump front (or roundhouse) into a roundhouse while in the air was one of the most useless kicks i was ever taught. In a tournament it's nice to know but anywhere else it just seemed way to dangerous to me

Last edited:

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
as for one for each foot in a 9th dan form. PLease by the time someone reaches 9th dan they should be happy to get off the ground. Just MHO

My point exactly! Although I saw an amazing 71 year old 9th Dan do this form very well over the weekend. He's an exception, I know.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't live too far from Hollywood, but I've never seen it happen. :ultracool

While I don't see the martial value in a jump side kick, I do see some agility value in it. It's a difficult kick to do well. Practicing it can lead to better all around agility.

I do think it's truly nuts that there is one for each leg in the WTF 9th Dan form, Ilyeo. The older you get, the more you should have to do this kick.:barf:

I agree

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What is (to YOU) the most useless kick you have been taught, have seen, or know will be taught to you. WHY

Oh see, now this is an easy one. It would be the "snake kick".

Now since most people have never heard of such a thing when I have spoken of this before, please allow me to descibe a "snake kick" as it was taught to my daughter many years ago. Please feel free to follow along at home.

From a fighting position, raise your front leg so that your thigh is horizontal to the ground and your calf is vertical (IE, not chambere for a kick).

Now, from your knee down, swing your calf left to right like a pendulum.

Assuming you are working with your right leg here, now when you foot is as far left as you can take it, begin a kick towards an opponant that is in front of you, as if you are going to kick the right side of their chest. Then as you are kicking you will make sort of a backwards S motion and bringing your leg back to your right, their left while continuing to lift higher then back to your left, ultimately kicking your opponent in the left side of their head.

How's that for not only useless, but dangerous as well unless you don't really care much about doing serious damage to your knees.

Shortly before we left our 1st dojang, where my daughter was taught this kick, we were at a compeititon. I was coaching her, because quite frankly by this point I had a much better grasp of Olympic style sparring than did any of her instructors from this school. They all kinda chuckled at me when I sat down in the coaches chair, but they all stood around the ring to watch her fight. She destroyed her opponent with a final score of something along the lines of 15-2 or something like that. When the fight was over, the only thing any of her instuctors had to say was "That wasn't bad, but I noticed she didn't even do 1 snake kick."

Within 2 months we had found a new school.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never tried that kick but just standing (after reading) and walking through it , I am sure I will not try it to many times again.
I can see my kneee just saying, GOODBY, if I try that kick a few more times and with any speed and strength behind it

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is more about practicality.....but, Double jump front kick. If you have two people standing perfectly spaced, why would you attempt a kick like this, with almost no forward momentum, very little power and little control (as always, there are those who can do it very well). But it seems to me that you could kick one and punch the other at the same time easier than it is to do this kick....and honestly, they may not even feel it.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That and the sissiors kick
oh ya I realy want totry that one in a fight

Latest Discussions