Modern BJJ techniques that come from Jujutsu

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
OK, so he found it in a Judo book...interesting.

This guard pass is still effective but you have to open the guard first and then you have to keep your elbow in close to your body on the side that is not stacking. We train it this way specifically to defend against the triangle when attempting this guard pass.
I'll work this pass, too, but instead of keeping my elbow in, I tend to focus on pinning the down knee to the mat. So, if I'm stacking my opponent's left leg, I'll really focus on pinning his right knee to the mat. Even if he manages to break down my posture, he'll never triangle choke me if I'm controlling that knee.

I've also found, Jarrod, that stacking the leg with the arm and not the shoulder requires a lot more arm strength, and driving against the calf tends to give them space to reposition. What's your secret?

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll work this pass, too, but instead of keeping my elbow in, I tend to focus on pinning the down knee to the mat. So, if I'm stacking my opponent's left leg, I'll really focus on pinning his right knee to the mat. Even if he manages to break down my posture, he'll never triangle choke me if I'm controlling that knee.

I've also found, Jarrod, that stacking the leg with the arm and not the shoulder requires a lot more arm strength, and driving against the calf tends to give them space to reposition. What's your secret?

the trick is to use your arm as a brace. in other words you put your arm up there but still use your weight for the actual pushing. also make sure the pressure is near your elbow & not your wrist.

for the second one, if my shoulder is in their calf, i usually stay more upright, get to the side of the leg, turn my body, then drop my weight on them. so i'm usually controlling their hips with my hands & shucking the leg off with my shoulder, which makes it harder for them to reposition. plus i do a lot of leg locks so if a foot starts flailing around in front of me that's ok too.

hope this makes sense,

jf

Latest Discussions