Modern Arnis Symposium, MARRPIO and Datu Worden participation?

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
From the WMAC forum. Posted here for convenience of our members who do not surf there.

So, the answer there indicates that he will not be attending.

Kelly S. Worden

>It was not an easy personal decision to make as far as >attendance, it was though, an easy professional one. I hosted >MARPPIO last year at the same time, exactly the same >weekend, the weekend after the 4th of July. It was discussed at >last years event to continue and make the event an annual one.

Let me cut staight to the chase on this matter. The decision not to attend is a personal one and I have nothing to say about matters totally beyond my control.

Second point, in our series of e-mails going back to the point at which I first posted the intent to host the 2003 Modern Arnis Symposium AND even after the date for the event was publicly announced on MartialTalk, WMAC Forum, Eskrima Resource Digest and several other forums, neither you, Kelly Worden nor any member of Marppio contacted me to advise me that there was a conflict with a previously planned event, therefore, there is an 'appearence of deception', that can and should have been expected. Personally, I wish you well at your event.

>That was quite some time prior to Dr. Barber organizing his >symposium date. Long before Dr. Barber posted his plans I had >sent a similar proposal to Datu Dieter for a Filipino gathering in >Las Vegas.

Unfortunately, I am unable to read private communications not sent to me and when public references are made to such communications without some accompanying details, its' true and full meaning is not apparent to every reader of the public communication. So you made a suggestion before I put a plan into operation, but it is the plan put into operation, that usually receives the most attention.

>After all Las Vegas is a central location for conventions, Martial >Art Organizations worldwide have been using Las Vegas with >great success for a number of years. I even suggested the >location to Dr. Barber and he didn't respond, that's fine he made >his choice to make everything convenient for the people on the >East Coast simple as that.

Now, Kelly, let's get this one straight - yes you did mention holding the Symposium in Las Vegas, but that came AFTER I had already set the event for Buffalo and announced the location.

Additionally, I DID ANSWER YOU via e-mail and I noted in that message that I did not have a contact person in Las Vegas, who could handle all of the local details that would come up for an event, so for me, it was not a good choice.

As for LV being "a central location for conventions", I would beg to differ with that opinion. It is not "central" for me, it is a 3-5 hour flight depending on connections and it is not cheap - remember your point about costs is a double edged sword! From Miami, the flight is 4-6 hours, from Maine the flight is 6-8 hours!
That does not constitute "central" to me when the flight from Washinton State is most likely 2-3 hours.

>What exactly will it cost the majority of practitioners on the East >Coast to attend, $300.00 and a couple hours to drive.

Apparently you are not completely familiar with your USA geography - there are points on the East Coast that will require as much as 24 hours driving time to reach Buffalo! Try locating a Road Atlas and check out the milage from Miami, FL Tampa, FL Atlanta, GA, Lexington, KY, Columbus, OH, Chicago, IL, Boston, MA, Providence, RI, Hartford, CT, Philadelphia, PA, Wilmington, DE, NYC or any points on Long Island. None of these cities are within a 4 hours drive of Buffalo.

I deliberately put a two month window on the seminar fee structure because I WANT people to make their deposits during the first two months next year - I want them to have the benefit of the lowest costs that I can give them and still cover the expenses of the Symposium Presenters. If I were hosting an event with one to three instructors, the fee structure would be different - it would be lower!

>I inquired in an e-mail to people around the Western United >States about their desire or interest to spend 3 or 4 days >traveling and drop about $1000.00 or more to attend an event >that has a questionable agenda at the very least. Nothing I >have seen except the original posting and description of the >event even has a professional presentation about it.

You can back off the histrionics, Kelly. A plane flight though expensive does not require 3 or 4 days of travel to get to the East Coast. I deal with research questions and surveys for a living, I know that how one phrases a question can strongly influence how the question is answered. If people do not want to come east for WHATEVER REASON, that is their decision. I work a 9-5 job like most other people in America, so the idea of cost vs. benefit is real for me as well. I understand why an event closer to home might be prefereable to one 1500 miles away.

>If someone does not respond to the martialtalk.com group, they >are dragged through the dirt for having a life of their own, oh >yeah, and "doing they're own work."

Now you are confusing two different issues. Your scheduling the July 11 & 12 event has nothing to do with how people do or do not conduct themselves on MartialTalk.com. It is neither my position or intention to justify anything posted on the forum. I only speak and post for myself. I do my own work, I have 'made the art for myself' just as you have done in your part of the world
and I am quite proud of my students because they have done the same thing. No trash talking, just good solid work!

>Most people responded to the e-mails that they would rather >attend a seminar just like the MARPPIO seminar we held last >year in July, for a fraction of the cost of the New York trip.

And I will say it again, good luck and good training!

>Actually, last year we had a great deal of senior practitioners >that outranked any and all the people scheduled for the >upcoming New York event, and this year will be no different.

Gee, Kelly, I did not know that the Modern Arnis Symposium was:

1. a New York event
2. that it was about what rank someone might hold.

As I seem to remember the original objective, the 2003 Modern Arnis Symposium is intended to help people to determine for themselves, who has the highest level of skills within the art of Modern Arnis regardless of title and/or rank!

The fact that you will have people at your event who "outrank" every one who will be at the ORIGINAL MODERN ARNIS SYMPOSIUM, is a benefit and selling point for you - use it well! We are offering two very different programs. One is not better than the other - just different and from you perspective quite local in scope.

>The difference is we are getting together for the benefit of the >art and the pure joy of training, not to prove that somebody can >piss higher on the wall.

Say whatever you want, Kelly, but the bottom line is that I have not gone out of my way to insult and belittle others on this or any other forum. Since you have a legitimate reason for not coming to the 2003 Symposium in Buffalo, please enjoy your event in Tacoma.

Regardless of the number of instructors who attend the 2003 Symposium that I am hosting, the event will be held, because some people have committed to being there. In spite of how many or few people actually attend the 2003 Modern Arnis
Symposium, it will be held as scheduled! The goal has not changed - a demonstarted ability to teach and present an in-depth program of Modern Arnis Instruction - with the attendees having the last word as to who they believed was most to least skilled in the art. Rank and titles will be left at the door, skill will be the final determinor of "rank".

As for what I will say about those who do not attend the 2003 Symposium.... the operative word is "Nothing!"

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pappy Geo
What is this an east coast Vs west coast spitting contest again?

No, I don't think it's east vs. west. I feel that it is Kelly and his "Wordonites" trying to stir up **** and make themselves the center of attention. And still no word from the Presas family.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tim,

I have been diplomatic, now I am telling you that is BS! That kind of crap should be beyond you. You just went down several notches in my book. Hopefully in the future you will be able to save face. On the West coast we have an unwritten code of honor, obviously you grew up in a different part of the USA even though we are all Americans here. Why the insults? Why are you trying to alienate the folks out here, What is your agenda?

You still haven't addressed any of the issues that I put forward to you, instead you utter one sentence sarcastic slams, are we having fun yet?

I have conversed with the Presas family and they will not dignify your witty scarsasm by responding, they are well beyond grade school for christ sake Remy jr has a PHD and is well respected in the Bay Area.

Have you realized how you are now appearing to the students that are reading this forum?

I will accept an honorable response, by private email if you prefer

A Wordenite and MARRPIOITE,

George Hoover
[email protected]

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pappy Geo et al,

I take exception to the insults the Datu Kelly Worden has thrown my way. As a member of this site, I feel like I have been attacked by him numerous times.

Yet, I want to meet him in person to see for real life what he is all about.

Worden has posted on his site things that you and others have posted here. I did not like the tone of the replies on the Worden Site. If Worden or a Worden local person replied it was all good although if it was an outside person there were attacks or issues with what they had to say. That is why I have ignored that site. I did not think I could be a productive member.

Now some of the things that Worden and his "Drones" have said about this site and its' members has made me really wonder about all of you?

Datu Worden has stated that everyone should not believe what GM Remy Presas has told them about being the best or having something special, and yet we are to believe this only about Datu Kelly Worden. These things make me wonder about Datu Kelly Worden and the rest of the people in his organization.

Now, I have never met Datu Kelly Worden and still would like to reserve my opinion until I can meet with him. Yet, when it is posted here and elsewhere (* I believe *) that he has made an agreement to be at the seminar / symposium. Yet he has pulled out. I understand a previous commitment, yet he should have not made the statement that he would attend if he had this previous commitment. This make me wonder about Datu Kelly Worden again, yet I still hold my opinion until I can meet him.

Datu Kelly Worden threw some insults by not using the proper names of people here on MartialTalk. Yet, you get upset when someone returns the volley using the same tactics.

As Datu Kelly Worden is in Hawaii I will wait until he is back and then maybe give him call to just chat and see what the man is all about. Yet I would like to still meet him in person and see him.

Just my humble opinion about name calling and insults and attitudes. I think you have the right to say you are upset. I agree that the name calling does not add anything positive to this discussion.

Thank you for you views

Rich
:asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the east-west split...
Just wanted to make sure that those in the WMAC were clear that while the symposium is being held in the Buffalo area it is not a WMAA event; Dr. Barber is a 3rd party not involved with either group who stepped up and offered to do something for the Modern Arnis community at large.
The population base here is primarily, in no order, WMAC, WMAA, and various independants with a few from IMAF-Shea (is that inc. or no inc.?), so obvioulsy we are a self selecting group. Still, this thread has taken a real slide towards WMAC vs. WMAA when that isn't really the issue.
There is a lot of anger being thrown over what is apparently a pretty simple mis-understanding or double booking.
For Pappy Geo and others: admirable defense of your teachers, but may I politely suggest you look a bit deeper. It sounds like a lot of people are showing their disappointment that they won't be able to see him demo at this event.
Just some 1st cup of coffee thoughts.
Chad

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by dearnis.com
On the east-west split...
Just wanted to make sure that those in the WMAC were clear that while the symposium is being held in the Buffalo area it is not a WMAA event; Dr. Barber is a 3rd party not involved with either group who stepped up and offered to do something for the Modern Arnis community at large.
The population base here is primarily, in no order, WMAC, WMAA, and various independants with a few from IMAF-Shea (is that inc. or no inc.?), so obvioulsy we are a self selecting group. Still, this thread has taken a real slide towards WMAC vs. WMAA when that isn't really the issue.
There is a lot of anger being thrown over what is apparently a pretty simple mis-understanding or double booking.
For Pappy Geo and others: admirable defense of your teachers, but may I politely suggest you look a bit deeper. It sounds like a lot of people are showing their disappointment that they won't be able to see him demo at this event.
Just some 1st cup of coffee thoughts.
Chad

Very nicely stated, Chad. My suggestion to everyone is let this thread die! There is no productive outcome possibilty that I can see and the seminar in Tacoma is going to occur regardless of what gets said here or on the WMAC Forum.

For my part, the discussion is over. I will make some adjustments to the 2003 Symposium, which I will announce within the next week or so. I am going to take the advice that I got from both Punong Guro Douglas Pierre, last night in a 2 hour phone disscussion and Sifu Countee Randles, in an hour discussion this morning. Since both men are my seniors in the martial arts as well as good friends, who have stayed out of the flow of e-mails,
their objectivity is a great gift to receive at this point in time.

So, I am done with this thread and my advise to others is to drop it as well, because if someone believes that there is an east coast vs. west coast conflict, how do you prove a negative and get them to change their mind?

Good luck to those who attend the Tacoma seminar.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doctor Barber,

Thank you and I agree, I have said all I can say and it starting to get personal. Maybe Bob will close the thread. Good luck to everybody at the symposium and happy holidays.

Peace and with respect.

George Hoover

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed that it is time to move on.

Dr. B.- Doug is a good choice for advice; great guy as well as a skilled player.

Chad

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know, at one time I would have been very interested in attending a Worden event. After those remarks he made on the WMAC board, he's shown his true colors. Exclusively because of Worden, I now have no desire to attend any Modern Arnis event.

Congratulations for turning someone away from the art.

Cthulhu

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
I now have no desire to attend any Modern Arnis event.

Congratulations for turning someone away from the art.

Cthulhu

Cthulhu,

I can understand, from an outsider's view, that all this bickering is a real load of horsesh*t and isn't worth the time to investigate. Don't give up on the family yet. We Modern Arnis players are, indeed, a passionate lot and the words get flying hot and heavy at times. I would personally recommend (if you live on the East Coast) to attend either the 2003 WMAA Summer Camp or the 2003 Modern Arnis Symposium for an introduction to the art. I was at last year's WMAA camp and the spirit was positive. The Symposium shoud be very interesting because of the number of different teachers who grew up under the same Grand Master.

All I can say is trust me on this one. At both camps I am gong to make a concerted effort to back up what I claim regarding the good spirits and positive natures of each.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

jaybacca72

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
i just would like to say from an outsiders/insiders point of view that i think that the eastcoast and westcoast events will be a success i will assume. to renegade do not play thier childish games,if someone doesn't show with no public notice to possible attendees then all the more time with the others. it will definitely show the person's character ,and tim you are to good a guy to waste time on this crap. jerome i have met you and i wish you all the luck on your event and i will pass the word on here in CANADA.
later
Jason Arnold :p

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Dan.....

What is the status of the rumored seminar out west featuring you, Datu Worden, and (I think) Prof. Trigg??

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com
Hey Dan.....

What is the status of the rumored seminar out west featuring you, Datu Worden, and (I think) Prof. Trigg??

Chad,
Thus far it is in the proposal stage. The last post on the WMAC site is as far as it has gotten. I think I will get some sort of phone call or notification after the holiday season is over, details sorted out and then I can post more. I've known Prof. Trigg since before he was a Professor and he's known me since before "Super Dan" and this is really talking time. 30 years or so, at least. He's a great guy.

It could be a very interesting event as Kelly's and my viewpoints differ so greatly, we could cover thw same amterial from totally different perspectives resulting in a great time for the students at the event.

So, keep your eyes open and we'll see what comes of it.

Yours,
Dan

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by jaybacca72
i just would like to say from an outsiders/insiders point of view that i think that the eastcoast and westcoast events will be a success i will assume. to renegade do not play thier childish games,if someone doesn't show with no public notice to possible attendees then all the more time with the others. it will definitely show the person's character ,and tim you are to good a guy to waste time on this crap. jerome i have met you and i wish you all the luck on your event and i will pass the word on here in CANADA.
later
Jason Arnold :p

Thank you for your advise and good counsel, Jason.

Jerome barber, Ed.D.

Latest Discussions