Modern Arnis Symposium, MARRPIO and Datu Worden participation?

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I dont think anyone is setting out to bash Datu Worden or make an east coast vs. west coast issue.
I think there are people on the east coast who would like to see Datu Worden teach; that is likely the source of some of the posts here.
(As I said above, I have not been on the mat with him, and I certainly think I owe it to myself to see first hand how his approach to Modern Arnis differs from what I have seen. Besides, I need an excuse to see Washington State.....)
If travel costs are an issue then so be it. The cost of the symposium is certainly a factor to some of us on the east coast as well.
Chad

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pappa Geo: For efficiency, I would like to take what you said point by point.

What is this an east coast Vs west coast spitting contest again? Have you considered what it would cost for the Presas family and Datu Worden to fly out and stay in a hotel, rent a car, eat in restaurants? Loss of income for the week from their normal jobs? Any body offering to subsidize their costs?

East Coast Vs. West Coast spitting contest? I hope it won't turn into that; I don't think it has yet. I think a lot of people haven't considered the costs for them to come over. Instructors are usually paid for their efforts, but I have no idea how much $$ is involved for the symposium, and how much instructors are being offered. That is a valid point though; there are a lot of instructors at the symposium and there might not be enough doe to cover travel and costs for someone out west to come to New York.

It happends, though. Dan Anderson was in Michigan over the weekend, and I know that Tim travels the world to teach. MARRPIO has been on the East Coast before too, just unfortunatily not near enough to Michigan where I could see them. Somehow it is worth it to these instructors to make the trip, so I guess that it depends on the situation. That is why I asked "why" instead of just making an assumption.

Consider that they can come to Tacoma for a long weekend, share their knowledge, be treated like family with much respect, earn enough to pay expenses, have a great time and go home with a surplus$$ and much satisfaction.

That's one thing to consider. Could they arrange or have arranged a trip to New York and recieve the same? That is another thing to consider as well. I really do not know.

I personally know they have much knowledge to share and that they have a deep background in Tapi Tapi, maybe a different approach than you are used to but isn't that what we are after and hunger for is putting all the different pieces together?

Doesn't Datu Hartman have a different style from the MOTTS? How about Sr Master Dan Anderson? you know he is going to have a style of his own, I know Datu Worden has his uniqueness. Wouldn't that be true of all the leaders in Modern Arnis? Isn't that what made Modern Arnis so valuable was ability to work it in with your existing foundation? An Art within your Art?

Well said! I know that every instructor is unique, which is why I would like to see them all at least once. At least what cost and time allows, of course.

The Presas family are the heirs to the system, MARRPIO is the official recognized Modern Arnis organization by the Phillipino Government. The highest ranked Modern Arnis Sr Masters like Rodillo and Roland Dantes endorse the family as the heirs. Doesn't any of that mean anything to you people? Further they don't claim the Grandmaster title and the older generation will never claim it!

That doesn't mean they are trying to take over anybody else's system within the umbrella of Modern Arnis, quite the contrary, they just want to share and encourage growth of Modern Arnis!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definatily agree that we should respect people for their titles, as I said before. I have talked to Demetrio and Remy Jr. myself. They were very nice to me over the phone, and carried themselves in a pleasent and respectful manner. I have even thought about bringing them to Michigan, but do to time constraints with my current job (and that I am not a career martial artist) it doesn't look like it will be feasable for a while, at least not with me as the host. I wouldn't be able to put the time and effort in necissary to promote them. I do have much respect for them, however. This is only based on my tiny interaction with them.

A side comment about the "respect" issue, though. People should be respected for what they have, and what they've earned. No doubt. But given the state of professor when he passed away, and the way rank/title was treated over the years, it is not fair to expect people to just ASSUME that someone is skillful at the art because they've earned this rank or that. No one, whether experienced or not can nor should do that. Under the circumstances of Modern Arnis today, everyone that is a leader (and who wants to remain a leader) will have to prove themselves eventually. They will have to prove themselves by their accomplishments, their behavior, and most importantly their skill. No one is exempt, not for rank, title, nationality, or last name.

I can say that at least to me when I talked to them, 2 of the Presas children have shown that they're leadership by their actions. I cannot attest to their skill, however, because I have yet to see them in action. It is as simple as that.

About the Tapi-tapi comment that I made: I don't know if that is the truth, as I have stated. That is a rumor that has been circulating around that I have heard on more then one occasion out of more then one organization. So please, don't kill the messenger; I don't like rumors either (at least false ones) but that is why I mentioned it. I was hoping that either a). someone could temporary clear the air by explaining the MARRPIO version of TAPI-TAPI and that b). I could experience their skill for myself someday.

They are very good people, very talented and more than willing to spread the art.

Please show respect for the family!

Well said. I can't speak for everyone else here, but I certianly don't mean to disrespect anyone. That includes MARRPIO and Datu Worden. I just call things as I see them. That is just for the record.

Thanks,
PAUL
:cool:

C

Corey Minatani

If anyone is looking to get a glimpse of what Datu Worden has to offer, check out his website or go to paladinpress.com! There one will see 20 some videos that are reasonably priced.

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by dearnis.com
The MARPPIO comments are really secondary to the thread. I have not seen the group in action, although I am hoping that my work schedule allows me to attend the next seminar offered in my area.
I think the question is have MARPPIO and/or Datu Worden withdrawn from Jerome Barber's Symposium, if so why, and if so what are the implications for the event.

Dear Chad,

The implications are really quite simple - THE ORIGINAL MODERN ARNIS SYMPOSIUM - 2003, being hosted by me, WILL GO FORWARD and IT WILL BE HELD AS SCHEDULED! I have a couple of private e-mails to write before I say too much more on this topic. Since I have received guarentees from Dan Anderson, Bram Frank, Tim Hartman, Tom Bolden, Duwad Muhammud, Rocky Paswik and Peter Vargas that they will be there to teach, the deal goes forward.

Dieter Knuttel, has expressed a strong interest in attending. Demetrio Presas, Dan McConnell, David Ng and Doug Pierre are scheduled to be at the ORIGINAL MODERN ARNIS SYMPOSIUM! Since none of those in the latter group have indicated to me that they will not be at the event, I will plan on seeing them there.

Now it is time for me to go private and get some answers.

Respectfully yours,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Paul for your considerate posting and Dr. Barber if you are planning to email Datu Worden he enroute to Hawaii and won't be back back till after Christmas

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Videos are good:

Yet I really had looked forward to meeting Datu Kelly Worden.

I fully understand the cost of travelling. And I agree it can be an issue.

When the idea first was raised I think it was mentioned to either have it centrally located or to have it rotate. Given this idea, I had hoped that the West coast would be present. I really had hoped to meet them.

This is not a bash against any one at all, only me personal opinion that I would have liked to meet in person some of these people.

Well I hope that Kelly and Rodell do well as with the MARPIO organization. I have had e-mail traffic with Dimetrio and Remy Jr. and both have been very polite and up front about information if I had any questions. I have not had the privilege to work with them or to see them. I had hoped to see them there as well.

Train Well and have a nice day

Rich
:asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some clarification on Datu Worden and video;
I have some of his tapes; he has always been receptive to questions via email, but that is not the same as getting hands on time on the mat with someone.

Chad

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Corey Minatani

Third, why can't there be two symposiums? One on the east and west sides?

Corey Minatani

This is not a bad idea, but with the nature of this event it would have been only right not to run an event on the same weekend as Dr. Barbers. I feel that these actions are questionable at best.

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Datu Hartman:

You represent a senior leadership position in Modern Arnis, as a leader wouldn't it have been better to have personally discuss the whys with MARRPIO and Datu Worden rather than state an uninformed opinion?

This event in Tacoma had been pre-planned a year ago for this time slot, over 60 students from Canada to California had made pre-plans to return to Tacoma for the MARRPIO seminar at the same time slot. They have set aside a few days vacation time, made travel arrangements, we have pre-booked a hall that is large enough to accommodate that many students, prearranged for a caterer.

Are you suggesting since the trip cannot be made back east that the pre-planned seminar should be canceled and that everybody on the West coast should sacrifice and stay home and self flagellate?

Tim, I have met you and know you are very talented and a nice person, respectfully please review your thoughts regarding your last posting and try to understand the validity of this situation.

George Hoover

D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Pappy Geo
Thank you Paul for your considerate posting and Dr. Barber if you are planning to email Datu Worden he enroute to Hawaii and won't be back back till after Christmas

Thank you for that piece of information. I have already e-mailed him and I will wait for his reply. Part of this is going to be strictly between he and I because of an agreement that we had. It would be helpful if people avoided speculating on any of these matters until I hear from Kelly directly.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

D

DoctorB

Datu Hartman:

You represent a senior leadership position in Modern Arnis, as a leader wouldn't it have been better to have personally discuss the whys with MARRPIO and Datu Worden rather than state an uninformed opinion?

This event in Tacoma had been pre-planned a year ago for this time slot, over 60 students from Canada to California had made pre-plans to return to Tacoma for the MARRPIO seminar at the same time slot. They have set aside a few days vacation time, made travel arrangements, we have pre-booked a hall that is large enough to accommodate that many students, prearranged for a caterer.

Are you suggesting since the trip cannot be made back east that the pre-planned seminar should be canceled and that everybody on the West coast should sacrifice and stay home and self flagellate?

Tim, I have met you and know you are very talented and a nice person, respectfully please review your thoughts regarding your last posting and try to understand the validity of this situation.

George Hoover

PapaGeo,

There may be other considerations with regard to timing that you are unaware of and therefore you as well as others are engaged in specualtion. Appearence as well as substance need to be considered and as I posted above I am waiting for any answer to three simple questions that I posted privately to Kelly.

The west coast vs. east coast thing is red herring. The cost issue is quite real not only for those who want to attend an event including the Symposium that I am hosting, as it is for me me as the host. And since you raised that cost consideration in another post, I will address it here. If someone can not afford the costs they will not attend the event. As the host I have cost consderations that I must meet upfront and regardless of how many people attend, as does any event host.

Concerning the hotel accomedations that you mentioned in an earlier post, please do not insult me with that idea. I have been hosting seminars and camps since 1985. No one who was coming to an event that I have hosted as the featured presenter, was ever placed in the position of finding their own lodging or meals. The actual fact is that it was too early to give the information to Kelly or anyone elase as to accomedations, but be assured that I have the plan in place and I know who will be assisting me in providing transportation to and from the airport to the hotels.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the WMAC forum. Posted here for convenience of our members who do not surf there.

http://www.uechi-ryu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=65411#65411
Kelly S. Worden

Yes Indeed,
I was forwarded the petty little statements from Martialslander.com,, how brave are those who post under internet names such as limpwood, scabpicker, rustyblade and such. What a band of sissy boy pantywaists that spend so much time bantering about their positions of status. He who won't post his own name has got to be afraid of his own shadow, let alone pose such statements about anyone else.
I will say thank you for all the positive exposure and I am quite honored to be felt so highly of that the symposium rests on my mere mortal appearance. It is said any ink is good ink, since no one in the real world has ever heard of those beating their chest it really just sets myself and MARPPIO far above those that chatter and run their mouths without even a name or reputation to back it up. Video and knife sales are better than they have ever been, keep advertising for me guys!
I know Professor would be very proud of his children and of myself for doing our own work and not being swayed by the bickering of the little ones without balls. I honestly wonder how many of the keyboard Arnisadorians could close their eyes and visualize Professor Remy Presas blessing their efforts? I'm thinking most would run for cover, I've said it before if you don't have the balls to say it to a man's face, or sign your real name, don't type it on a forum. I would also believe that those who complain the loudest have actually accomplished the least, and will reap the karma repercussions of their own insecurity.
It was not an easy personal decision to make as far as attendance, it was though, an easy professional one. I hosted MARPPIO last year at the same time, exactly the same weekend, the weekend after the 4th of July. It was discussed at last years event to continue and make the event an annual one. That was quite some time prior to Dr. Barber organizing his symposium date. Long before Dr. Barber posted his plans I had sent a similar proposal to Datu Dieter for a Filipino gathering in Las Vegas. After all Las Vegas is a central location for conventions, Martial Art Organizations worldwide have been using Las Vegas with great success for a number of years. I even suggested the location to Dr. Barber and he didn't respond, that's fine he made his choice to make everything convenient for the people on the East Coast simple as that.
What exactly will it cost the majority of practitioners on the East Coast to attend, $300.00 and a couple hours to drive.
I inquired in an e-mail to people around the Western United States about their desire or interest to spend 3 or 4 days traveling and drop about $1000.00 or more to attend an event that has a questionable agenda at the very least. Nothing I have seen except the original posting and description of the event even has a professional presentation about it. If someone does not respond to the martialtalk.com group, they are dragged through the dirt for having a life of their own, oh yeah, and "doing they're own work." Most people responded to the e-mails that they would rather attend a seminar just like the MARPPIO seminar we held last year in July, for a fraction of the cost of the New York trip. Actually, last year we had a great deal of senior practitioners that outranked any and all the people scheduled for the upcoming New York event, and this year will be no different. The difference is we are getting together for the benefit of the art and the pure joy of training, not to prove that somebody can piss higher on the wall. In reality a great deal of people involved are just spinning their wheels and going nowhere, proving nothing but they're own weakness to accomplish nothing as practitioners or independent leaders. Pretty sad miserable group of winer's or is that weiners?
I'm really curious how many of the self-righteous East Coast loud mouths would drop $1000.00 or more to put up or shut up and visit the West Coast, probably none!
It is very easy to contact me and give me a verbal lashing for not attending the symposium. As a matter of fact I will personally pay 1/2 of your airfare if you would like to come here to Tacoma personally and put me in my place. I say 1/2 because if you are really motivated and as tough as you type, all the groupies in your little clan will pay your way just to hear of your dynamic victory!
Just give me a call at 253-564-2867 and arrange your travel plans, put up or shut up... But hey give me 10 days, I'm leaving for Maui, Hawaii for a seminar and to do my own work...

By the way, when you are standing around pissing on the wall, that's not rain falling on your head, you're really that low....

Datu

So, the answer there indicates that he will not be attending.

C

Corey Minatani

This was quoted from the WMAC forum from Datu Worden:

Yes Indeed,
I was forwarded the petty little statements from Martialslander.com,, how brave are those who post under internet names such as limpwood, scabpicker, rustyblade and such. What a band of sissy boy pantywaists that spend so much time bantering about their positions of status. He who won't post his own name has got to be afraid of his own shadow, let alone pose such statements about anyone else.
I will say thank you for all the positive exposure and I am quite honored to be felt so highly of that the symposium rests on my mere mortal appearance. It is said any ink is good ink, since no one in the real world has ever heard of those beating their chest it really just sets myself and MARPPIO far above those that chatter and run their mouths without even a name or reputation to back it up. Video and knife sales are better than they have ever been, keep advertising for me guys!
I know Professor would be very proud of his children and of myself for doing our own work and not being swayed by the bickering of the little ones without balls. I honestly wonder how many of the keyboard Arnisadorians could close their eyes and visualize Professor Remy Presas blessing their efforts? I'm thinking most would run for cover, I've said it before if you don't have the balls to say it to a man's face, or sign your real name, don't type it on a forum. I would also believe that those who complain the loudest have actually accomplished the least, and will reap the karma repercussions of their own insecurity.
It was not an easy personal decision to make as far as attendance, it was though, an easy professional one. I hosted MARPPIO last year at the same time, exactly the same weekend, the weekend after the 4th of July. It was discussed at last years event to continue and make the event an annual one. That was quite some time prior to Dr. Barber organizing his symposium date. Long before Dr. Barber posted his plans I had sent a similar proposal to Datu Dieter for a Filipino gathering in Las Vegas. After all Las Vegas is a central location for conventions, Martial Art Organizations worldwide have been using Las Vegas with great success for a number of years. I even suggested the location to Dr. Barber and he didn't respond, that's fine he made his choice to make everything convenient for the people on the East Coast simple as that.
What exactly will it cost the majority of practitioners on the East Coast to attend, $300.00 and a couple hours to drive.
I inquired in an e-mail to people around the Western United States about their desire or interest to spend 3 or 4 days traveling and drop about $1000.00 or more to attend an event that has a questionable agenda at the very least. Nothing I have seen except the original posting and description of the event even has a professional presentation about it. If someone does not respond to the martialtalk.com group, they are dragged through the dirt for having a life of their own, oh yeah, and "doing they're own work." Most people responded to the e-mails that they would rather attend a seminar just like the MARPPIO seminar we held last year in July, for a fraction of the cost of the New York trip. Actually, last year we had a great deal of senior practitioners that outranked any and all the people scheduled for the upcoming New York event, and this year will be no different. The difference is we are getting together for the benefit of the art and the pure joy of training, not to prove that somebody can piss higher on the wall. In reality a great deal of people involved are just spinning their wheels and going nowhere, proving nothing but they're own weakness to accomplish nothing as practitioners or independent leaders. Pretty sad miserable group of winer's or is that weiners?
I'm really curious how many of the self-righteous East Coast loud mouths would drop $1000.00 or more to put up or shut up and visit the West Coast, probably none!
It is very easy to contact me and give me a verbal lashing for not attending the symposium. As a matter of fact I will personally pay 1/2 of your airfare if you would like to come here to Tacoma personally and put me in my place. I say 1/2 because if you are really motivated and as tough as you type, all the groupies in your little clan will pay your way just to hear of your dynamic victory!
Just give me a call at 253-564-2867 and arrange your travel plans, put up or shut up... But hey give me 10 days, I'm leaving for Maui, Hawaii for a seminar and to do my own work...

By the way, when you are standing around pissing on the wall, that's not rain falling on your head, you're really that low....

Datu

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Datu Hartman:

George Hoover

The problem is that BOTH Marppio and Worden have led people to believe that they will be attending Dr. Barber's event. This event has been listed for some time were the MARPPIO event is a recent listing on the site. If MARPPIO chose not to attend the event it would have been nice for them to state that. Kelly is out of town so he can't respond. What's the Presas' family's excuse?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like we both had the same idea Corey. heh. :)

Personally, I understand the idea of previous commitments, etc. I'm waiting on confirmation myself if I'm on the bill to do a web design seminar in Toronto that same weekend.

Its disappointing that he won't be attending as I was looking forward to the chance to meet him and the Presas family face to face. At this point, we wait for Dr.B to confirm with the Presas' if any members will be attending. Hopefully things will work out.

:asian:

Pappy Geo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Come on Datu Hartman since when do mature well respected leaders need an excuse? Are we students in kindergarten and need a doctors note?

I hope your pre-posturing and challenging statements don't indicate the symposium is doomed to be a circus filled with "show and tell" ego instead of DR Barber's intent of educational and fellowship opportunities. Don't forget from the students prospective of attending which is the training and the opportunity to meet the Senior instructors in Modern Arnis!

Why the chip on the shoulder attitude? When I met you were not like that at all, did that happen to be one of your good days?

As a semiretired CEO of a construction company here in the Northwest, executives from other companies were always treated with respect and given full VIP benefits whether we were on the same page in business philosophy or in disagreement.

The attitudes displayed on this topic in this forum dismays me to think that so many uniformed people can make such biassed statements with such venomous prejudices!

The saving grace has been a few folks have restated their thoughts into palatable and honorable statements and I appreciate that.

George Hoover

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The problem is that BOTH Marppio and Worden have led people to believe that they will be attending Dr. Barber's event. This event has been listed for some time were the MARPPIO event is a recent listing on the site.

That's what I was thinking. I had thought that they were listed as instructors for the symposium, and then backed out. I didn't know, nor did many other people know that they had other obligations. That's what started this thread.

As for the Symposium being held in Buffalo instead of Vegas, as I understood it the symposium was being set up to be an annual (or even bi-annual) event, which would be held at a different location next time around. Even hosted by someone other then Dr. Barber. Perhaps the West Coast, or Vegas would be appropriate for the next one. I fully understand the reasoning behind MARRPIO or Datu Worden not attending, I just am disappointed by another missed opportunity to see them. I also understand people not attending due to cost, time constrains, or the desire to not enter a pissing match.

However, it is still unfortunate that we don't have Datu Worden or MARRPIO's, or the MOTT's (for that matter) full support, because for the symposium "idea" to work, it would be nice to have every leader in the system at least supporting the event. But since there are other events now scheduled the weekend of the symposium, we run into conflicts. What if next time around it is in Vegas, but East Coast people decide to instead schedule their own events over a Vegas Symposium because it is more profitable to them. See how this causes a problem? The symposium "idea" will have trouble getting off the ground under such circumstances.

As for the symposium turning into a "pissing contest," that is a possability, but I hope that it will be more productive then that. However, if I can make it, I'll have my raincoat ready. But remember this, a wise man once said: "You can be the master of your own universe if you never leave your backyard." I just hope that saying dosen't fit the bill for some of our leaders in the art.

As for spending $1000 for a trip to another land to train; hell yea, I would do it. I in fact plan to allocate more time and $$ to such activities perhaps for next year, or the following (depending on the success of my business). I wonder if I can get Kelly to pay for half my airfair then? :p

PAUL

P.S. In terms of the "martialIlander" crack, I just wanted to say that some of the most interesting discussions have been held in this forum. Not just for Modern Arnis, but for all martial arts in general. Sure, some interesting flame wars have been held here too, but that's what happends when you get a group together with differing views who are going to tell it like it is instead of kissing each others @$$ all day. I take the good with the bad. If I felt that another forum had more to offer, I'd be checking that one religiously instead of this one. But, that is just my opinion! :asian:

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There have been some comments posted that exceed the limits of 'friendly debate,' I think, but I wonder if that isn't a natural outgrowth of the 'put up or shut up' face being put on the symposium.
Paul sums up a lot of the problems, at least as variuos folks may see them. I dont see the name calling solving anything. Either those who have committed to attend can civilly work together, or Dr. B. is wasting his time and energy.
Chad

D

DoctorB

There have been some comments posted that exceed the limits of 'friendly debate,' I think, but I wonder if that isn't a natural outgrowth of the 'put up or shut up' face being put on the symposium.
Paul sums up a lot of the problems, at least as variuos folks may see them. I dont see the name calling solving anything. Either those who have committed to attend can civilly work together, or Dr. B. is wasting his time and energy.
Chad

Chad,

I think that the 2003 Symposium is a very good idea and the time to have it is now! Is the "put up or shut up" position of the Symposium, the reason for some unfriendely comments - no it is not. The Symposium was the outgrowth of Demetrio Presas' post on the "succession" matter and the constant carping about Jeff Delaney as "gm and designated successor". Plus there were other comments about the MoTTs, along with concerns/comments about the meaning and significance of the title. Then there is the issue of rank, who has it how they got it is it meaningful and accurate. The Symposium was designed and intended to stop the talking and allow us to see for ourselves who in fact has the skills to be a top flight Modern Arnis instructor and who might just be blowing smoke.

I am committed to seeing this thing through and Paul is correct, I have stated that I only want to do it ONCE! After 2003, anyone else who wants to do a similar program is more than welcome to do it AND it is very likely that I will attend and present since I have no plans to do so at this event.

This Symposium is going to be a success because the people already committed to presenting have a considerable amount to offer the attendees. Not all of these people are well known because some of them have not been involved with the late Professor Presas for a number of years. That does not mean that they are without considerable skills!

Too often, Modern Arnis people have funneled their vision down so that only the late Professor was truely visible. That is a major contributor to the problem of non- cooperation. You mentioned that you know and have worked with some of the presenters and you might not be in attendence at the the event. I respect that position, but I also believe that there is a possiblty that working with one or two of the people that you have not met before would be quite educational AND you be able to spend some time talking with them; but that is merely my opinion.

The Symposium will be a place for people to meet, talk, exchange, compare and contrast ideas, techniques and concepts. On and off the floor I expect that there will be surprises and moments of enlightenment. If the latter were not a very real possibilty, then hosting the Symposium would be a total waste of time. I expect to learn somethings at this event. I have worked with several of the presenters, but there are others whom I have know only by reputation and word of mouth.

I refuse to allow this development from Kelly and Marppio, damped my spirits regarding the potential good that can come out of the Symposium. I refuse to allow the fact that Demetrio Presas' comments were the cause that helped to set the wheels in motion and now there is a possibilty that he will not be at the event, detract from the significance of the Symposium in Buffalo.

Don't you think that I was expecting something of this nature to happen? The handwritting was 'all over the wall', if you read some of the comments back in March and April when I first stated that I was going to organize the Symposium. This cost and date excuse is old stuff being revived to justify non-attendence. Don't you think that I have had to discuss this stuff in private e-mails with several people as well as my public comments? The only thing that took my somewhat by surprise is who put forward the 'alternate place at the same time' into play, but I will deal with that topic in my next post about an hour or so from now since Kelly mentioned my name specificly in the e-mail forwaded to this forum.

To sum up - the ORIGINAL MODERN ARNIS SYMPOSIUM is still on track for July 11, 12 & 13 in Buffalo. It will occur first because the sun does rise in the east, doesn't it? There can only be one, first!

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Chad

Chad,
I agree. I also am committed to the positive nature of this Symposium.

Originally posted by DoctorB -
Chad,

The Symposium was designed and intended to stop the talking and allow us to see for ourselves who in fact has the skills to be a top flight Modern Arnis instructor and who might just be blowing smoke.

This Symposium is going to be a success because the people already committed to presenting have a considerable amount to offer the attendees.

The Symposium will be a place for people to meet, talk, exchange, compare and contrast ideas, techniques and concepts. On and off the floor I expect that there will be surprises and moments of enlightenment. If the latter were not a very real possibilty, then hosting the Symposium would be a total waste of time. I expect to learn somethings at this event. I have worked with several of the presenters, but there are others whom I have know only by reputation and word of mouth.

To sum up - the ORIGINAL MODERN ARNIS SYMPOSIUM is still on track for July 11, 12 & 13 in Buffalo. It will occur first because the sun does rise in the east, doesn't it? There can only be one, first!

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Folks,
I agree with the sections of the quote I kept above. This could be an oppertunity for a pissing match of epic proportions OR it could be as stated above and an incredibly positive experience for students and instructors alike. As to civilly working together, let me quote the Godfather script: Don Corleone - "I want it to be known that I will not be the one who will break the peace we have made here today." I am committing to working together with all the other instructors and students at the event. As a humorous aside, I have no son (Michael Corleone) to break it either.

All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Latest Discussions