Modern Arnis and the Blade

N

Northern

The long answer: go see a qualified instructor who can fill you in. You will see how it is "all the same," however, the details are very difficult to really grasp from an online conversation.

Paul is really on to something with that comment.

To say that Arnis is Not a Blade Art, I think, is fundamentally flawed.
In my observation Professor downplayed the blade to make Arnis a little more palatable to the general public.
But, if you spent enough time running around the various seminars and/or summer camps you would see it.
Or, if your Instructor decided to share the "hidden" side of the art.
:)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Epa said:
I was wondering exactly how much of Modern Arnis can be transferred to the blade. From what I’ve seen of Modern Arnis, it’s primarily a stick system. Balintawak, Modern Arnis’ primary influence, was also a stick system as far as I can tell with a lot of emphasis on monitoring the opponent’s weapon with your alive hand. If I’m wrong on the Balintawak please let me know because I haven’t seen that much. This tactic is common in MA as well, but it does not seem like a solid tactic when dealing with bladed weapons.

Epa, As stated by others, there were other influences into Modern Arnis besides Balintawak. And in the Balintawak I train in there is no stick grabbing, there is managing though.

Epa said:
For example, of the twelve basic disarms (the way I learned them) #1, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8 and #12 all have you grab the blade and most of the other disarms have your body come into contact with the blade. There are many other MA techniques I’ve seen where you grab the opponent’s stick and use it to trap or lock him, which is very useful with a stick, but not so much with a blade. Given this element of Arnis, how much of Modern Arnis is really translatable to blade work?

The twelve disarm are just that, twelve different disarms. Have a training partner attack you then figure out how to do a #2 disarm. You can technically do any disarm from any location, it just requires more management and maybe more movement. If some one hits me wih a three I can still do a #1 disarm or even a #5, which I learned with out grabbing, yet that does not mean the technique you have is any less or any more, just different, yet I would expect very similar if not the same with he exception of the grab.

Epa said:
I understand that basic striking, footwork and attributes are always translatable, but these are present in almost every FMA system. So is it as productive to train Arnis with a blade when many of the techniques must be thrown out or modified quite a bit? This is not a slam on Modern Arnis because I think it’s a good system. I’m just not convinced it translates to blade very efficiently. I believe that Remy probably could have pulled off some of those techniques that involve monitoring the blade with the alive hand, but I don’t think it’s realistic to train everyone that way because very few people in the world were as good as Remy was. Let me know what you think.

Respectfully,

How about a story problem: If a train is traveling on a closed system track (* i.e. no turn offs and no crosses *) from Detroit to Chicago, at the rate of 55 MPH and another trains leaves at the exact same time (* Train time is great those guys keep schedules *) and is traveling on the same closed track as teh first train from Chicago to Detroit, at a rate of 65 MPH. The distance of the track 300 miles. How long after the trains leave will they collide?

Now the techniques used to solve this problem are the same as if the first train was traveling 55 MPH and the second train was traveling 65 KPH, the unit conversion is different, yet the overall approach would be the same, also you could state that one train left at 15:00 on 3rd of August, and the other train left at 3:00 PM on 3rd of August. You could ask what time do they collide? You could also change the times of the trains so as not to leave at the same time, and then you would still use the same basics and concepts to solve the problem.

Therfore, if the opponent has a blade you change your options based upon the attributes of the weapon you are facing. The same goes for the Sabat or staff, as the distance would be an issue.

I know long and obtuse, yet I hope you get my point. :asian:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
How about a story problem: If a train is traveling on a closed system track (* i.e. no turn offs and no crosses *) from Detroit to Chicago, at the rate of 55 MPH and another trains leaves at the exact same time (* Train time is great those guys keep schedules *) and is traveling on the same closed track as teh first train from Chicago to Detroit, at a rate of 65 MPH. The distance of the track 300 miles. How long after the trains leave will they collide?

Wait a minute. I didn't know there was going to be math in this thread.

I HATE story problems. But then, I generally hate math.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions