How many people learned MA through Seminars (no school ) only?

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering how many of the MA practitioners on this board recieved MA training through Seminars and Camps, and didn't attend a school that taught it. If you learned this way, how many camps did you find yourself attending a year? Also, how did you practice what you learned in between camps? Would you advise this method to others as a viable way of learning modern arnis? If so, what recomendations would you give to those that are following this path?

Thanks,

Jon

OP
M

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
I don't see how anybody could effectively learn this way. Yiy need an instructor for feedback.

I know that at least SOME of the Modern Arnis Players had to learn this way, as Prof. Presas never had a formal school in the US. What I would like to find out is how they adapted to that training method, and what they would do differently now.

Jon

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am quite sure these guys had someone to continually prcatice on after the seminars, and were probably part of an established school somewhere.

G

Gary Crawford

I did the seminar only thing for about a year,but I wouldnt recomended it to anyone who isn't a seasoned MA.I do better when I get to train regularly.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:
I know that at least SOME of the Modern Arnis Players had to learn this way, as Prof. Presas never had a formal school in the US. What I would like to find out is how they adapted to that training method, and what they would do differently now.

Jon
Hi Jon,

I ran (and still do) a martial arts school so I taught my students and then trained with them. My ex-wife and I trained together as well. When Prof. Presas came to town I would get either a private or semi-private lesson as well as hogging his attention or staying close to watch how he did things. Often after the seminar or camp, he'd stay on for anywhere from a day to a week and we'd spend time together training. Teach, train, teach, train. I was lucky in that I already had 14 or so years in American karate so I was able to adapt quickly. Fred King once mentioned to me, "You learn by osmosis."

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Hi Jon,

I ran (and still do) a martial arts school so I taught my students and then trained with them. My ex-wife and I trained together as well. When Prof. Presas came to town I would get either a private or semi-private lesson as well as hogging his attention or staying close to watch how he did things. Often after the seminar or camp, he'd stay on for anywhere from a day to a week and we'd spend time together training. Teach, train, teach, train. I was lucky in that I already had 14 or so years in American karate so I was able to adapt quickly. Fred King once mentioned to me, "You learn by osmosis."

Yours,
Dan Anderson

I agree, that GM Remy would stay and give people more when they asked or he had the time. These were good times.

I also trained in a club and had other students there as well to practice wih and seniors and instructors to learn from.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Has anyone besides the late Professor done a significant amount of seminar instruction? I'm out of the loop up here above the top of your maps. When I say significant, read weekly/much travelling coast to coast.

ARNIS PRINCESS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Has anyone besides the late Professor done a significant amount of seminar instruction? I'm out of the loop up here above the top of your maps. When I say significant, read weekly/much travelling coast to coast.

Actually, the most visible person in North America on the Modern Arnis seminar circuit since GM Presas’ passing has been Datu Hartman. He has been teaching 25 – 33 seminars a year for the last few years. Not only does he teach in US and Canada, but he also travels to Europe a couple times a year.

:cheers: :partyon:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ARNIS PRINCESS said:
Actually, the most visible person in North America on the Modern Arnis seminar circuit since GM Presas’ passing has been Datu Hartman. He has been teaching 25 – 33 seminars a year for the last few years. Not only does he teach in US and Canada, but he also travels to Europe a couple times a year.

:cheers: :partyon:

Yeah, Datu Tim has literally been H. on wheels!!! :)

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hoch Hochheim has been burning for sure!!!

His SFC newsletter itself has a circulation in the thousands!!!

ARNIS PRINCESS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
flatlander said:

Maybe the thread can be split to address this topic without taking away from the main idea of this thread?

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jon

I did/do. I started with Hock Hochheim in 94 going to 4-6 hour seminar type classes one weekend a month in his Presas Arnis system (it was based on both GM Remy's and GM Ernesto's systems). That lasted for a couple of years (till he stopped them) and in 95 I started attending GM Remy's camps in TX. In 96 I also started training with GM Ernesto in his system at his TX camps (sponsored by Hock) and then later on in 99, and 2000/01 his weekend seminars in Tulsa OK.

I actually have about double the amount of time in GM Remy's camps (I think 12 MA camps) than I do with GM Ernesto (5-6). Plus training in Hock's camps, and other FMA type seminars (GM Toboada, Guro Inosanto, Tuhon Gaje, Guro T.Lucay, Garimot escrima etc. etc.).

I kept up with the material in several ways.
1) I kept extensive notes on each and every seminar I went to, plus notes on any class I took etc. etc. This way I was able to go over the material at work and/or at home and compare drills, concepts, techniques etc. etc. between the systems. It also helped me to organize what was taught and by whom, and the progressions or the format in which they taught. So I could keep everything pretty much seperate.

2) At the seminars after everyone had gone home, my seminar workout friend and I would video tape everything we covered that day. That way later on I could use the tape to compare my notes with. This has lead to some interesting videos as I've now had my son lately (he's 12) to try and show techniques on :) .

3) I taught arnis every chance I got to my karate buddies, my private students at my house, or at an occansional seminar for someone. I knew that every opportunity I had to teach was a way to reinforce the techniques into my mind so I'd travel an hour each way to meet with some people to teach a small 2 hour class. When I taught American TKd for a YMCA I taught that to the kids and if I taught adults it was arnis/FMA.

4) I practiced on my own. Getting ready for Hock's BB test I use to run over drills in my shop at work, doing double stick drills and running through the patterns in the air or picking out targets on my reverser to strike at.

Is this the best way to learn the material? Not really but it was what I had at the time. Would I recommend this course to everyone yes and no. I am a big believer in putting in the time to write down what was taught and by whom, video tape etc. etc. That I would recommend. However I believe a person needs to have an instructor to guide them, it certainly would have been easier.

I had been exposed to the FMA 12 yers prior to meeting Hock, and I trained in a JKD Kali class once a week for almost two years prior to training with Hock. So I wasn't a complete novice when I started in Presas Arnis (Modern Arnis or Kombaton) with Hock, so I was able to absorb the material and work on it after the seminars. But for a novice the seminars/camps aren't the best way to learn you need an instructor.

Respectfully submitted
Mark Lynn

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Hoch Hochheim has been burning for sure!!!

His SFC newsletter itself has a circulation in the thousands!!!

Harold

I agree with you in that Hock is teaching all over the world now his systems, however I respectfully submit that he isn't really teaching Modern Arnis. While his systems (Filipino Combatives/Presas Arnis/Archilpeligo (PAC) Combatives courses where influenced by Modern Arnis and Kombaton Arnis, they are pretty different now compared to when I started with him. They are much more his material than GM Remy's or GM Ernesto's.

His SFC newslatter is pretty good!
Mark

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ARNIS PRINCESS said:
Maybe the thread can be split to address this topic without taking away from the main idea of this thread?
Well,

The "Who has been teaching seminars" question still relates as long as it doesn't veer too much.

Harold

ARNIS PRINCESS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Well,

The "Who has been teaching seminars" question still relates as long as it doesn't veer too much.

Harold

Just a thought. :asian:

Cebu West

Blue Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I trained at a school 2 to 3 nights a week for about 4 years before getting my Lakan. During this time I had good access to the Professor and Datu Hartman. After seminars we would add the new stuff Professor presented into our training. I think it would be difficult to become proficient with Modern Arnis techniques, especially timing, if your only trained at seminars.

If the only way for some people to get Modern Arnis was at seminars, so be it, and you have to give credit to those who followed the Professor in this way. You take what you can get.

For those of us who had the Professor available outside the seminar circuit, we were the lucky ones.

SAL

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:
Hey all,

I was wondering how many of the MA practitioners on this board recieved MA training through Seminars and Camps, and didn't attend a school that taught it. If you learned this way, how many camps did you find yourself attending a year? Also, how did you practice what you learned in between camps? Would you advise this method to others as a viable way of learning modern arnis? If so, what recomendations would you give to those that are following this path?

Thanks,

Jon

Seminars and camps are great!! Its a great way to meet new people, work with different people as well as see some of the top guys in the system. However, it may be hard to just attend a camp/seminar and be able to effectively remember as well as train the material that you're learning. Finding a good school that can teach you about the art, is the best way to go IMO.

Mike

Latest Discussions